Shopping Discussion

Fraudulent Pricing Practice - CD Wharehouse,Kanata...

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2012 4:35 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 20, 2012
1 posts
NEPEAN

Fraudulent Pricing Practice - CD Wharehouse,Kanata...

I was looking for 'Frozen Planet' on Blu-Ray. Futureshop, Best-Buy, Wal-Mart and CDWarehouse all had it listed at $39.95. I got an email coupon from CDWarehouse for $5 off all regularly priced DVDs and Blu-Ray discs for today only. So I drive 15Km to CDWarehouse thinking I'd get it for $34.95. Instead what they had done was to stick a white 'regular' price sticker of $54.95 on it, and then another red 'special' price sticker next to it at $44.95. So the coupon was useless and their best price was $5 more than everywhere else. It has never been priced at $54.95. The market price is set at $39.95 There were at lease 40 other Blu-ray DVD's with the same sort of fraudulent price sticker practice, negating the use of their supposed coupon deal. They have lost me as a customer.
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
206 upvotes
amcweeny wrote: I was looking for 'Frozen Planet' on Blu-Ray. Futureshop, Best-Buy, Wal-Mart and CDWarehouse all had it listed at $39.95. I got an email coupon from CDWarehouse for $5 off all regularly priced DVDs and Blu-Ray discs for today only. So I drive 15Km to CDWarehouse thinking I'd get it for $34.95. Instead what they had done was to stick a white 'regular' price sticker of $54.95 on it, and then another red 'special' price sticker next to it at $44.95. So the coupon was useless and their best price was $5 more than everywhere else. It has never been priced at $54.95. The market price is set at $39.95 There were at lease 40 other Blu-ray DVD's with the same sort of fraudulent price sticker practice, negating the use of their supposed coupon deal. They have lost me as a customer.

CD warehouse has been doing this forever, actually most places do this on CD's and DVDs. Big chain stores put price stickers on the media so they don't have to do SCOP. CD warehouse does the same thing at boxing day when they do 20% off regular price, which is still considerably more expensive than anywhere else.

Why didn't you go CD warehouse in Nepean?

CD warehouse is a sinking ship, and them renting videos now is just showing how much they are taking on water. I can't believe the prices. LOTS of their used stock is directly from the walmart sale bins across the street. At boxing day, or the WM anniversary sale they will just buy the DVD's that are on sale for $9.99 and sell them for $20, or ones for $19.99 and sell them for $40. Like anyone in their right mind is going to buy an early season of family guy for $19.99+ when they can get it new from WM for $10?

The prices they have on vinyl are steep, and the cd prices are incredible. I have asked politely if they can match the price on a pretty expensive box set and they said no. Gladly Amazon.ca will gladly take my money. Speaking of Amazon your blu ray is only $38 there with free shipping.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
Just because other stores are selling it at one price doesn't make their price fraudulent. Every store is free to set their own prices. :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
206 upvotes
spf1971 wrote: Just because other stores are selling it at one price doesn't make their price fraudulent. Every store is free to set their own prices. :facepalm:
Did you even read the post?

They mailed out a coupon for regular price items, and make almost everything in the store on sale by putting two price tags on it and thus not eligible for the coupon.

http://www.mymusic.ca/product_dvd.asp?c ... =105242679

The website certainly doesn't list that its on sale.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14261 posts
1147 upvotes
MSRP is 62.99 according to Amazon
http://www.amazon.ca/Frozen-Planet-Comp ... 207&sr=8-1
Same at Chapters
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/dvd/Froze ... -item.html

and shows that it has been 62.99
http://www.canadapost.ca/shopper/items/ ... 3929213528

OP doesn't know what fraud is.
jason9945 wrote: Did you even read the post?

They mailed out a coupon for regular price items, and make almost everything in the store on sale by putting two price tags on it and thus not eligible for the coupon.

http://www.mymusic.ca/product_dvd.asp?c ... =105242679

The website certainly doesn't list that its on sale.

That is a DVD, not a Bluray. OP shouldn't have assumed one store's prices would be the same as another called before going.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17877 posts
5846 upvotes
Toronto
Why did you drive 15km to save $5? Should have just bought it from Futureshop or Bestbuy.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2871 posts
819 upvotes
Ottawa
Guys... the OP is saying that the same store jacked up the prices by $20 right at the beginning of the sale, then offered you $5 off.
Jan 4, 2008
773 posts
187 upvotes
Gatineau
jason9945 wrote: CD warehouse has been doing this forever, actually most places do this on CD's and DVDs. Big chain stores put price stickers on the media so they don't have to do SCOP. CD warehouse does the same thing at boxing day when they do 20% off regular price, which is still considerably more expensive than anywhere else.

Why didn't you go CD warehouse in Nepean?

CD warehouse is a sinking ship, and them renting videos now is just showing how much they are taking on water. I can't believe the prices. LOTS of their used stock is directly from the walmart sale bins across the street. At boxing day, or the WM anniversary sale they will just buy the DVD's that are on sale for $9.99 and sell them for $20, or ones for $19.99 and sell them for $40. Like anyone in their right mind is going to buy an early season of family guy for $19.99+ when they can get it new from WM for $10?

The prices they have on vinyl are steep, and the cd prices are incredible. I have asked politely if they can match the price on a pretty expensive box set and they said no. Gladly Amazon.ca will gladly take my money. Speaking of Amazon your blu ray is only $38 there with free shipping.

I'm totally shocked that CD Warehouse is still open,have not been there since about 99
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
206 upvotes
exiledinottawa wrote: I'm totally shocked that CD Warehouse is still open,have not been there since about 99

The Kanata one is sinking fast. Since they opened they have downsized the store three times. The current one is 1/4(or maybe less) the size of the original one. They used to be decent back in the day, but damn are they sad these days.
Jan 3, 2009
328 posts
4 upvotes
GTA
I question how this is fraud. They lured you in with a coupon and raised their prices. Sounds to me like you fell for their marketing tactic.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14261 posts
1147 upvotes
k3v1n37 wrote: I question how this is fraud. They lured you in with a coupon and raised their prices. Sounds to me like you fell for their marketing tactic.

There is not even any proof that they raised their prices. The Frozen Planet on their website is the DVD, and not the bluray, the Bluray doesn't seem to be on their website.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2009
2120 posts
845 upvotes
London
This thread is just silly and as other members have already pointed out.. how is this even fraud? who the heck goes 15 km out of their way (quite a bit of time you've to spare!) to get $5 off? At this day and age, gas prices and your time to get there and back are a bit more to worry about than $5 off...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
206 upvotes
datako wrote: This thread is just silly and as other members have already pointed out.. how is this even fraud? who the heck goes 15 km out of their way (quite a bit of time you've to spare!) to get $5 off? At this day and age, gas prices and your time to get there and back are a bit more to worry about than $5 off...

15km, that can be a whole 10 minutes :D This is Ottawa after all.

The best part is this store has an store where he OP says he is from, he drove to the next store over.

Its not illegal, its not fraud, but it is a pain in the ass when stores put out coupons for things that aren't on sale and put everything on sale.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2011
1755 posts
442 upvotes
It's also "fraud" when stores don't give you a return policy.

So what else is a "fraud"?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
50 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Why did you drive 15km to save $5? Should have just bought it from Futureshop or Bestbuy.

The same reason people will drive 15km or more to save 2 cents on gas!

just so they can use a coupon !