Fred VanVleet, Champion.

[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41093 posts
4880 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain

Fred VanVleet, Champion.

Anyone see this? It sheds some intimate details on his life... So sad that his dad died... Just little kids and everyone is getting shot !
But he worked really hard...
He deserves his own thread too. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

What do you think made him flip? You gotta admit... He was kinda cold early in the play offs... but just after the birth of his kid he goes nuts! Like he couldnt miss a shot... You gotta admit... 22 points in game 6 was a killer on gsw!
14 replies
Feb 2, 2017
499 posts
477 upvotes
Fred and the Raptors are huge in Rockford, even has his own store that sells out of his clothes since they can't really get a hold of Raptors gear there

Also if you're from Toronto and you go to Rockford you instantly become a celeb!

[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41093 posts
4880 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
l1197493 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2019 11:33 pm
Fred and the Raptors are huge in Rockford, even has his own store that sells out of his clothes since they can't really get a hold of Raptors gear there

Also if you're from Toronto and you go to Rockford you instantly become a celeb!

Damn hes got his own store... and 6000 people showed up to their official jurrassic park!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1899 posts
431 upvotes
Ottawa
That was nice to see. I was highly critical of FVV during the playoffs and was abysmal during the Magic, Sixers and the first 3 games of the Bucks series. From game 4 of the ECF to the Finals he stepped up HUGE and played like a man possessed.

When most of us gave up on Fred, Nurse continued to have faith in him and proved his critics wrong.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
4111 posts
1500 upvotes
Global Village
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jun 20th, 2019 8:55 pm

Anyone see this? It sheds some intimate details on his life... So sad that his dad died... Just little kids and everyone is getting shot !
But he worked really hard...
He deserves his own thread too. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

What do you think made him flip? You gotta admit... He was kinda cold early in the play offs... but just after the birth of his kid he goes nuts! Like he couldnt miss a shot... You gotta admit... 22 points in game 6 was a killer on gsw!
My guess would be stress with possible birth complications for Fred Jr. Marc Gasol in an interview after we closed GS said we don't know the half of what Fred went through. After the birth the stress release just allowed him to focus on the game and be himself on the court. He was so key, we arguably don't beat the Bucks without him stepping up.
All day I dream about sports
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41093 posts
4880 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
scoper wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 12:27 pm
My guess would be stress with possible birth complications for Fred Jr. Marc Gasol in an interview after we closed GS said we don't know the half of what Fred went through. After the birth the stress release just allowed him to focus on the game and be himself on the court. He was so key, we arguably don't beat the Bucks without him stepping up.
Oooh yah true... damn it musta been a close call if it affected his game...

Its funny we see these players as machines. But they are human.
Everyone was mad and hating on vanvleet for choking. And hating on Nurse for not giving up on him...
But i guess the reason is because Nurse knows better. Nurse knew he had it in him, just he was having bad days.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6935 posts
2154 upvotes
Mississauga
Finally had a chance to watch that W5 documentary. It seems like Fred is one of those guys destined to be a winner (not to say that it doesn't require any hard work of his own), but just that success follows where ever he goes, he being a large part of it of course.

That perfect 35-0 season in 2013, they lost to Louisville in the Final Four. That result was vacated after the whole scandal that was uncovered in 2017 taking away Louisville's title that year.

I had no idea he won conference player of the year two straight years. But it is funny how things work because while we passed on Fred, we drafted Poetl and Siakm that year. As you know Poetl was a part of the package to get Green and Leonard, and Siakam is self explanatory, so we may not be here celebrating a Raptors Championship if we drafted Fred or if some other team had selected him because all three players had some part in all this. Destiny! :)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28835 posts
14639 upvotes
Ottawa
Fred's back to back 3 pointers got the Raptors the win...
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1886 posts
710 upvotes
That W5 made me appreciate Fred so much more. Man, I love this team!
Feb 2, 2017
499 posts
477 upvotes
Fred and the Raps are massive in this town. They even have a Raptors mural

I have a feeling Fred will retire a Rap. Kawhi will finish his prime career as a Rap too I think

[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41093 posts
4880 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
l1197493 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2019 6:40 am
Fred and the Raps are massive in this town. They even have a Raptors mural

I have a feeling Fred will retire a Rap. Kawhi will finish his prime career as a Rap too I think

I think so too. Its part of our destiny of a repeat championship dynasty :lol: