Hot Deals

Free 2020 Tax return programs

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2021 3:38 pm
Mar 10, 2011
313 posts
229 upvotes
Niagara
truckmania wrote: Guess I'll have to pay now. I won't use any of the free online alternatives because I personally feel uneasy about putting all my tax info and sin# into an online companies hands. The reason I loved Studio Tax, besides it's ease of use was that everything stayed on my personal computer.
We were using them for years and would always donate $20. So we'll be saving if we decide on them this year.
See sumtin'. Say sumtin'. ('less someone else already did)
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1201 posts
531 upvotes
danascully wrote: I owed for 3 years total without filing for the last 10. No one has even tried to contact me

Maybe I didn't owe enough money
That's correct. I think the threshold is $2K or $3K then you must submit quasi post dated "installments" as CRA calls them. This isn't the same as scheduling your tax owing and paying them in installments because you can't afford to pay your taxes in one shot.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1201 posts
531 upvotes
e-man wrote: Simple tax was bought out by wealth simple
This is bad because?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3692 posts
2099 upvotes
sheyenne wrote: That's correct. I think the threshold is $2K or $3K then you must submit quasi post dated "installments" as CRA calls them. This isn't the same as scheduling your tax owing and paying them in installments because you can't afford to pay your taxes in one shot.
You misunderstood his question. He is not talking about installment. He said he didn't file tax at all for 10 years.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1201 posts
531 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: I don’t see any con reason for filing locally on your computer. Can you provide some?
I think you misunderstood or I wasn't clear, I think filing locally on your PC is the best method.
ml88888888 wrote: On the never ending mandatory ‘ screening questions’, it is designed for people who don’t know how tax filing works and try to make their life easier by asking questions and decide how to report incomes and claim deductions and credits automatically. It is ok for people with basic tax situations. But those questions will never cover every situation, especially you have more than the basic situation.
Unless things have changed, the questions I saw were more than basic and tedious. Why is there is no option to skip and just to enter your basic info manually and download your data from CRA is baffling.

Here is another local installer tax program but hasn't been updated for 2020. I haven't used them myself. http://taxman.coolpage.biz/
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3692 posts
2099 upvotes
sheyenne wrote: I think you misunderstood or I wasn't clear, I think filing locally on your PC is the best method.

Unless things have changed, the questions I saw were more than basic and tedious. Why is there is no option to skip and just to enter your basic info manually and download your data from CRA is baffling.

Here is another local installer tax program but hasn't been updated for 2020. I haven't used them myself. http://taxman.coolpage.biz/
Taxman is not certified by CRA and 'No Netfile' either.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2588 posts
408 upvotes
sheyenne wrote: This is bad because?
It isn't necessarily bad. But the sentiment was that people should use them or donate to them to keep them afloat. Except they have a sugar daddy, so why support them when there are others who need it more.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Nov 17, 2016
159 posts
107 upvotes
Has anyone found free software to file a T2? The one I use charges me $160/year.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2942 posts
2854 upvotes
GTA
ValiantSpacemanSpiff wrote: It was not a shot, it's a reality. The CRA has experienced more data breaches than SimpleTax. I was being genuine, not sarcastic.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... dents.html
When I first heard of this I was concerned until I read the details then I realized my information was completely safe. The only people affected were fools that reuse user ids and passwords. I don't think of it as a CRA data breach. They didn't gain access to the accounts through hacking the CRA or so some CRA vulnerability, they had the legitimate log in information that they were able to get from another source.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada ... -1.5688163
"These attacks, which used passwords and usernames collected from previous hacks of accounts worldwide, took advantage of the fact that many people reuse passwords and usernames across multiple accounts."
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11934 posts
1862 upvotes
Vancouver
We should have taken a poll LOL. I would use whichever one had the most votes :). Because I’m not sure which to use. Barring that I’ll use free turbo tax again.
Apr 9, 2020
9 posts
2 upvotes
Have used StudioTax for years. Probably go the $15 route.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3692 posts
2099 upvotes
How Many people know that if you will turn 19 in 2021, you should file your 2020 tax return even if you have no income? I will give you a hint: gov’t benefit.
Jan 28, 2019
289 posts
153 upvotes
sheyenne wrote: Except this is not always the case per se. If you've owed money for two or three consecutive tax years in a row, you're account is flagged. CRA will require you to submit payments based on their estimation at regular intervals, typically in September and December. Should you ignore these requests, you'll be dinged interest. When you finalize your tax return in April you will either receive a refund for any overpayment or you'll pay the additional amount.
You are only required to pay tax instalments if you owe more than 3 K
Jun 25, 2017
668 posts
284 upvotes
Jesus pay me the $15 and I’ll do your taxes using simple tax lol.

You guys have too much money to throw away.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3692 posts
2099 upvotes
Master2031 wrote: Jesus pay me the $15 and I’ll do your taxes using simple tax lol.

You guys have too much money to throw away.
not everyone wants to store their personal data online.
Jun 25, 2017
668 posts
284 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: not everyone wants to store their personal data online.
It’s the year 2021. You don’t think the government/social media already has your info. Unreal ...
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2942 posts
2854 upvotes
GTA
Master2031 wrote: It’s the year 2021. You don’t think the government/social media already has your info. Unreal ...
Not my SIN they don't. As far as the government, only the agencies that require your SIN have access to it.

Edit: Now that I think about it social media has no important/confidential information about me. Not my SIN, investments, bank accounts, credit card info, nothing important at all.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3692 posts
2099 upvotes
Master2031 wrote: It’s the year 2021. You don’t think the government/social media already has your info. Unreal ...
Social media won’t have any personal info unless you provide it. I am surprised to see that people are so careless about their personal info about that they put them on social media. That is why I never put any personal info on social media. I even use fake name on my social media profile. Just in case you have never heard of a story before social media was created that thief would look at obituary in newspaper to find out the date and time a funeral so they know nobody is at home so they can break in to the homeowner’s house.
I see people put all kinds of personal info on Social media that identity thief can use to steal money from you.

Info that gov’t has about you has nothing nothing in common with storing personal data on a private company’s computer.
Last edited by ml88888888 on Jan 10th, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 25, 2017
668 posts
284 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: Social media won’t have any personal info unless you provide it. I am surprised to see that people are so careless about their personal info about that they put them on social media. That is why I never put any personal info on social media. I even use fake name on my social media profile. Just in case you have never heard of a story before social media was created that thief would look at obituary in newspaper to find out the date and time a funeral so they know nobody is at home so they can break in to the homeowner’s house.
I see people put all kinds of personal info on Social media that identity thief can use to steal money from you.
No offense but you guys are out to lunch. I’ve said this before , if you think social media doesn’t have personal info on you , please watch the social dilemma on Netflix

It’s mind boggling how people still think all of their info is kept safe and secure.
Last edited by Master2031 on Jan 10th, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

RFDLife