Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Free 2020 Tax return programs

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2022 9:30 pm
Jun 15, 2020
163 posts
452 upvotes
This year I think I'll try GenuTax, the user interface reminds me of StudioTax and ProFile and it's completely free with no maximum income cap.

I've also used SimpleTax before but feel more comfortable using non cloud-based tax software. I also feel SimpleTax is a too simple as crazy that may seem, might just be on my part not fully understanding it though.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
3749 posts
849 upvotes
What I suggest folks do is to enter the information in StudioTax and Genutax and file it with Genutax if the numbers match which it should.

Thats what Im going to do.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
2043 posts
696 upvotes
Ottawa
Black Question Mark Ornament who owns GenuTax? their site is non descriptive.
since Users are giving away their SIN and identity.
Jun 13, 2009
8 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
L4cky wrote: Really? How hard is it to use it? Any tutorial?
I would say it is pretty straightforward if you have kept track of your financials. I've used it for the last 4 years for my very simple financials. Go the website and take a look.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2542 posts
963 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
By the way, just curious, for those who are not self employed, how early do you generally get your T4? We don't usually get ours until the last possible day.

For those who are working from home sometime in 2020.. don't forget to claim the related tax credit with the new simplified method, depending on how long you worked from home.
Sep 21, 2003
357 posts
47 upvotes
ottawa
do any import turbotax files
Sanity is the Playground for the Un-imaginitive
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2019
1058 posts
955 upvotes
How do u guys turn off the option in simple tax to stop sharing info
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
This is a long thread. I know someone posted dates for commencing Netfiling for 2020 taxes. When is that date?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2019
1048 posts
1316 upvotes
Toronto
infotech58 wrote: If this is your first tax return, you may have to do a mail-in return (since CRA doesn't have your SIN/DOB on file to validate for e-return) - This was at the least true until FY'2019.
FlyingCheese20 wrote: Huh, when I got my SIN issued at ServiceCanada the agent said it'd be reported already. I'll look into this, thanks for the heads up.
ml88888888 wrote: That was true a longtime ago( at least 5 years ago). But not any more. If you applied for your SIN and provided the correct info, then CRA should have that too. Then you can use a Netfile to file your first return.
Yes, it seems netfile is not available for few first timers. You may try activating your account on CRA and check if it allows to create an account. Only other options are mail or netfile via CPA.
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10058 posts
6149 upvotes
Unknown18281 wrote: How do u guys turn off the option in simple tax to stop sharing info
Don’t use it. Use another software?
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10058 posts
6149 upvotes
arleney wrote: I would say it is pretty straightforward if you have kept track of your financials. I've used it for the last 4 years for my very simple financials. Go the website and take a look.
So you lost money for 4 years? I hope you are not claiming too much expenses, credits, deductions. CRA May audit you and deny them if you were using the losses to offset your other incomes. CRA May say most people are in business to make money. If you lost money 4 years in a row, why did you continue?
Feb 26, 2015
96 posts
56 upvotes
Montreal, QC
RandomSanity wrote: By the way, just curious, for those who are not self employed, how early do you generally get your T4? We don't usually get ours until the last possible day.
My employer is getting better at this. Last year it was by mid February. About 60-80 employees I think
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10058 posts
6149 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote: This is a long thread. I know someone posted dates for commencing Netfiling for 2020 taxes. When is that date?

Thanks
No date has been posted on CRA site yet. It is usually mid to late Feb. before.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
ml88888888 wrote: No date has been posted on CRA site yet. It is usually mid to late Feb. before.
Aww someone posted earlier. Thanks
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10058 posts
6149 upvotes
trigger0 wrote: Yes, it seems netfile is not available for few first timers. You may try activating your account on CRA and check if it allows to create an account. Only other options are mail or netfile via CPA.
You can’t create a CRA Myacct if you have not filed tax before because CRA doesn’t have any tax info yet. The most common problem that people not allowed to file their first return using Netfile is because their personal info(i.e. name, SIN or DOB) don’t match with the info the gov’t record from Service Canada. Or their return has some special situations the Netfile Service doesn’t allow.
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10058 posts
6149 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote: Aww someone posted earlier. Thanks
It was probably based on last year’s info.
Someone emailed Simpletax and got the answer here :free-2020-tax-return-programs-2435232/19/#p33901970

But I think Feb. 21, 2020 was the starting for 2019 tax year. So Simpletax May just use Feb. 21, 2021 for 2020 tax year. I wouldn’t trust that until CRA post the date on its site.
Jun 13, 2009
8 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
ml88888888 wrote: So you lost money for 4 years? I hope you are not claiming too much expenses, credits, deductions. CRA May audit you and deny them if you were using the losses to offset your other incomes. CRA May say most people are in business to make money. If you lost money 4 years in a row, why did you continue?
Thanks for the info. My business has not been actively operating, and I'm planning to shut it down. I said I used Taxtron for 4 years. I did not say I lost money for 4 years.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
This happened years ago.
My friend was audited because he was in business for years paying his wife a salary that put him in a loss position every year.
After his audit, he ended up cancelling a planned trip to Israel.

He says he still came out ahead as the audit could only go back so far.
Phils
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10058 posts
6149 upvotes
arleney wrote: Thanks for the info. My business has not been actively operating, and I'm planning to shut it down. I said I used Taxtron for 4 years. I did not say I lost money for 4 years.
Your first post said: 'I've used Taxtron. It is no cost to file with a net loss.'. From that statement I assumed you used Taxtron & it was free for you because you had net loss. So if you didn't have loss, how much you paid to use Taxtron? Would that be free to use if you had no income, but no loss neither because your business has not been actively operating? Or may be you were claiming expenses even though you had no income so you had no actual operating loss, but accounting loss?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1803 posts
2843 upvotes
Canada, eh?
SimpleTax just updated their website for 2020 Tax Year, https://simpletax.ca/.

Looks like they're forcing us to migrate to Wealthsimple's authentication and other associated systems.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)