Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Free 2020 Tax return programs

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2022 9:30 pm
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10054 posts
6146 upvotes
arvindhraman wrote: i actually meant offline... i donno why i typed online.. lol
it must be the auto correction by cell phone.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8553 posts
11762 upvotes
GTA
ml88888888 wrote: yes, CRA could just tax us at a flat rate on all incomes, like 10% without any deduction/credit.
Cantthinkofaname wrote: So rich people would get a MASSIVE tax cut, and poor people would get a MASSIVE tax hike they can't afford?
The minimum tax rate for 2020 is 15% so it would be 5% less for the poor people. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... ml#federal
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
3401 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
jayoldschool wrote: For people that have used both: can we get a quick comparison/contrast between StudioTax and SimpleTax? I've used StudioTax since the beginning, and will likely stay with them unless SimpleTax is a clear upgrade.
New this year
The StudioTax team has taken the difficult decision to transition from a free to a paid model starting this year. At the same time we tried to keep StudioTax affordable and accessible. Our mission is growing and we are taking on more and more new talented team members who are working hard to offer you, our valued users, the best possible product and support.

How does StudioTax stay affordable since 2004 and how are they paying the previous talented team members prior to this year? Is it simply based on just donations from 2004 to 2019?

https://maplemoney.com/tax-software-review-studiotax/

https://maplemoney.com/simpletax-review ... eparation/

To compare between StudioTax and SimpleTax, just try them out and compare the results. If the results are exactly the same, it's your choice to pay $15 or pay $0.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
Subzer0 wrote: I've been using GenuTax Standard for a number of years now and love it for its simplicity.

I tried using the free version of TurboTax just for comparison one year and it actually gave me an additional refund amount which I decided to submit.. Realized after when I had looked into it that I had never qualified for the additional refund as I was a student which Genutax caught but TurboTax didn't.
I didn't know which was the correct amount so I submitted the lower refund of the two, so last year I submitted via GenuTax. This year I'll compare the amounts between simpletax, genutax, and some other free option and see which one I prefer moving forward based on ease of use.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2012
2151 posts
3218 upvotes
DealRNothing wrote:
I assisted a family friend that used StudioTax 2019 last year. While I think it is unrealistic to continue to offer the product download for "Free", the interface and implementation is far behind other paid tax platforms for $15. Multi-filers might still have the advantage on cost if submitting several filings under the same licence.

There are much better interfaces and guided tax programs than this for the novice. UFile by example is clearly better for form guidance and tax tips.
The__Rock wrote: I'm a CPA and specialize in tax. For example, I'm a single income household, 2 kids, wife and 1 kid is eligible for disability tax credit, have child care, medical, and donation receipts. I use studiotax for myself and there are definitely things every year I have to manually override in order for it to calculate properly. Things that no way a layperson who doesn't understand the rules very well and rely on the software to do would know.
This is what I found when I was working on the family friend's file. StudioTax is fine for filing if one has an understanding of the Tax guide and all forms one would require. This is exactly why they wanted my help because the program is not for novice use, really. Quite honestly other than field calculations, I found the program quite uninformative for anyone new(er) to tax filing.
wranglery wrote: Agree that paid retail programs are much better options for people that need wizards or guidance to enter info. I started with WinTax many years ago before they changed to TurboTax. After a few years, I feel more comfortable to enter the figures into various boxes/forms and skip all the Q&A with the wizard. I switched to StudioTax. For single people that don't have many receipts, or know where to enter the figures, the free options are great!
For novices, I wouldn't recommend StudioTax after my review of it.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
3401 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
Subzer0 wrote: I've been using GenuTax Standard for a number of years now and love it for its simplicity.

I tried using the free version of TurboTax just for comparison one year and it actually gave me an additional refund amount which I decided to submit.. Realized after when I had looked into it that I had never qualified for the additional refund as I was a student which Genutax caught but TurboTax didn't.
So, GenuTax gives you the extra refund. All tax programs should give the same amount. If not, it is good to find out what is missing.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
2324 posts
1309 upvotes
rflair wrote: Simple question, can we use the 2019 version of StudioTax to do our 2020 return?
did you mean using the 2019 inputs to get the 2020 going as a starting draft?? past years, studio tax had this feature

edit: if so yes, feature in 2020 menu is there again if your a repeat customer, create a 2020 return from the 2019 return.. this is ideal if everything is same for forms, status etc is same like last year
Last edited by wakka2u on Jan 3rd, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3504 upvotes
Vancouver
cf7777 wrote: Is the 15$ licence fee tax deductable?

It is 16.95 after HST
Not unless you earn (and report) income from tax preparation.
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10054 posts
6146 upvotes
wakka2u wrote: did you mean using the 2019 inputs to get the 2020 going as a starting draft?? past years, studio tax had this feature

edit: if so yes, feature in 2020 menu is there again if your a repeat customer, create a 2020 return from the 2019 return.. this is ideal if everything is same for forms, status etc is same like last year
I doubt he was asking about that. If he used studiotax for 2019, then he shouldn't ask that question.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12745 posts
25708 upvotes
Montreal
wakka2u wrote: did you mean using the 2019 inputs to get the 2020 going as a starting draft?? past years, studio tax had this feature

Don't try to do your taxes on your own because you...
(how do I say this without hurting you...) you can't read! Lol! (no offense intended)
He clearly wrote: "use the 2019 version of StudioTax" and not "using the 2019 inputs".
Nothing ambiguous there.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1554 posts
834 upvotes
Calgary, AB
syuzh wrote: I usually see locals / neighbourhood folks who do taxes out of their house (probably accountants doing some side-hustling). They charge anywhere from $20-$40.
No point in paying for software AND having to do the work yourself. If I'm gonna pay, might as well help my fellow neighbour out and have it done for me.

That said, coming from studiotax, going to try Taxman first; looks like it's right up my alley. Genutax and local accountant as an alternative.
A designated accountant likely won't risk their license for $20-$40 other than simple returns for friends. More than likely randos doing side hustles after they think they are tax experts once they do their own taxes. (Like h&r block folk)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9291 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal
ml88888888 wrote: yes, but not free.
which ones?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Oct 10, 2019
536 posts
540 upvotes
baluyot wrote: The government should really provide these tools for free for everyone. Why should I pay to get my refund. Sigh.
AGREE 1000%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw a comment online where a citizen in a Scandinavian country
said she got her taxes mailed to her by the gov't,. she looked them over, they were good,
she signed them, and mailed them back.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2017
1859 posts
2808 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: Pay if you want to file. Otherwise it is free to download and enter data.
So essentially you are paying StudioTax $15 to just file the return?
StudioTax will still do for free all the calculations and complete the entire tax return for you?!
**RFD way**—->Might as well copy their answers and manually enter it on a tax return and mail it in.
Cost=$0.00
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
3150 posts
7726 upvotes
Ontario
I've gotten used to Ufile. Anyone switched from Ufile to another service, and what services did you not realize you were missing when using Ufile?
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2009
1338 posts
1205 upvotes
Calgary
rflair wrote: Simple question, can we use the 2019 version of StudioTax to do our 2020 return?
Simple answer - No.
no sig
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10054 posts
6146 upvotes
Bebo123 wrote: So essentially you are paying StudioTax $15 to just file the return?
StudioTax will still do for free all the calculations and complete the entire tax return for you?!
**RFD way**—->Might as well copy their answers and manually enter it on a tax return and mail it in.
Cost=$0.00
You have to pay for a stamp unless your local CRA office will open for free drop in and you pay for gas to drive down there. Haha. The free paper tax return was available in the local post office outlet. Are they still available? If not, then you have to print the forms from CRA website which would cost money for paper, ink & printer.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2015
1595 posts
1210 upvotes
Nanaimo
I'll try simple tax this year.

I always use TurboTax, but I'm wanting to try something cheaper. I'll still fill in my tax return with TurboTax to see if it matches the simple tax one. Nice thing about TurboTax is you only pay when you file.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2006
1689 posts
1258 upvotes
Calgary
I have been using Turbotax for over 20 yrs (for free). This year it looks like i might have to switch

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)