628 upvotes
BF No Where
Screenshot_20211216-022223.png
Holiday rewards + 2GB monthly bonus plans $35+ until Dec 23
I'd trade it all for a little more.
Nov 21, 2007
477 posts
564 upvotes
embguy wrote: Officially, you will get the credit within 72 hours after activation. From my experience, I got the credit next morning. YMMV.
I received the $10 credit this morning. Waiting for 2GB Data & 500 LD Min add-ons to show up.
Dec 13, 2021
9 posts
4 upvotes
funky_monkey wrote: I received the $10 credit this morning. Waiting for 2GB Data & 500 LD Min add-ons to show up.
It should automatically add to new activations within a week. I'm in the same boat.
Though I can't see the holiday bonus details anymore on their website
Boomer Wireless - $40 /6GB + 2GB
Samsung Fan
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6539 posts
6842 upvotes
Vancouver
As a new customer I see that one of the weaknesses of Public Mobile is that they provide no immediate feedback on whether you successfully qualified for rewards and promotions. It may be months before you find out if everything was done correctly, and by that time it will be hard to argue if it wasn't.

So far I've seen:
- $10 referral credit is the quickest, no immediate indication if it was accepted, but only takes 24 hr to show up
- Christmas 500 min. and 2 Gbytes bonus reportedly takes about a week to show up for new accounts, no advance indication
- Black Friday promo free month on new activations is reportedly "some time in the 3rd month", no indication whether it was activated successfully
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
1935 posts
438 upvotes
Airdrie
was gonna start a new thread but got an error saying the expiry date entered doesn't match the requested format...

Public Mobile - $30 referral bonus ($5/month for 6 months) (YMMV?) - Expires Dec 31 2021

received this text from 5169
Hey, it's Public Mobile. Refer a friend and save $30. For a limited time, we'll take $5 off your payment every 30 days fro up to six months as long as your friend stays with us.

Make sure your friend uses your code found in Self Serve, and activates before December 31, 2021.
http://selfserve.publicmobile.ca
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2823 posts
4457 upvotes
monkeybag$ wrote: Mississauga gets no respect! My daughter just signed up for Public Mobile, and when choosing a telephone number, Mississauga was not listed, even though it has a population of over 800,000 people! But Mindemoya was listed and I just looked them up and they have a population of 1730! I selected Toronto, but our area codes are not exactly the same, are they?
You're not going to find any carrier with a rate centre (city name) listed as Miississauga. The rate centres are based on old town names and have not been updated. As for the suggestion from earlier about looking for Streetsville, I know of Cooksville, Malton, and Port Credit that are Missisissauga rate centres.
Last edited by computergeek541 on Dec 17th, 2021 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Public Mobile client: $50 calls/texts/10.5GB
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2823 posts
4457 upvotes
Samwfive wrote: I have:

Signed up for auto pay first when registering, provided the bold-ed infos with NO pin (forgot), waited patiently for about 4hr. Finally SO msg came to confirm. Ignored it for about an hour and decided to reboot. Voila! The Speakout indicator on the left disappeared and the phone said "no service". Swapped out the sim to PM's and done done done.

One possible snafu....triple check your phone's imei?
Account PIN is not needed for any number porting and really should be a last resort and almost always left blank on the number porting request form. There's always another option. Porting from a wireless carrier requires only one of that old carrier's account PIN, IMEI, or account number (which Speakout doesn't use).
Public Mobile client: $50 calls/texts/10.5GB
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6539 posts
6842 upvotes
Vancouver
I received these promo add-ons 3 days after activating a new account.

BTW, I notice the monthly fee is billed to my credit card as "Koodo", the other Telus discount brand.

Two other observations:

- After porting my number from Speakout (Rogers), I'm now getting spam SMS right away on the Telus network.

- Telus records higher data usage than Rogers for the same operations. I recall prior observations of that going back many years. Don't know why.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
1818 posts
1891 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: I received these promo add-ons 3 days after activating a new account.

BTW, I notice the monthly fee is billed to my credit card as "Koodo", the other Telus discount brand.

Two other observations:

- After porting my number from Speakout (Rogers), I'm now getting spam SMS right away on the Telus network.

- Telus records higher data usage than Rogers for the same operations. I recall prior observations of that going back many years. Don't know why.
Similar experience with my recent new account activation. Koodo showed up in the credit card statement. As you mentioned, since both companies under Telus brand, I would not be too worried. Public mobile and Koodo prepaid share the same backend systems.

The data speeds for the first 1-2 days is not throttled to 3G, so you would experience full LTE. Afterwards, the data speed will be throttled to 3G. Some customers actually experience the opposite. Since 3G speeds, their data usage seem to be lower than other companies. In reality, it should be the same though.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
Nov 18, 2021
36 posts
10 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: I received these promo add-ons 3 days after activating a new account.

Two other observations:

I agree, the data seems to be used up really fast compared to other providers... Why?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
1818 posts
1891 upvotes
DealsRbliss wrote: I agree, the data seems to be used up really fast compared to other providers... Why?
Data should be used up at same rate as other providers. If you find hard evidence otherwise, you should contact Public mobile.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2014
1537 posts
1693 upvotes
Dunkster wrote: The data speeds for the first 1-2 days is not throttled to 3G, so you would experience full LTE. Afterwards, the data speed will be throttled to 3G. Some customers actually experience the opposite. Since 3G speeds, their data usage seem to be lower than other companies. In reality, it should be the same though.
Agreed. In some cases like video buffering, it will slowly buffer with 3 mbps compare to full LTE data where videos will buffer ahead with much faster speed. If you play a lot of videos on YouTube or social media and do not finish them most of the time, it will presumably use less data.
Aug 24, 2011
421 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
Hey guys, how soon will I get the sim card if i order from PM website? The website says 3-7 business days by Canada Post. If it ships by snail mail, i am afraid that i will not get it in time to activate by December 31. I am in GTA. Or maybe i should get it in a store? TIA.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6284 posts
3784 upvotes
Toronto
hallieliu wrote: Hey guys, how soon will I get the sim card if i order from PM website? The website says 3-7 business days by Canada Post. If it ships by snail mail, i am afraid that i will not get it in time to activate by December 31. I am in GTA. Or maybe i should get it in a store? TIA.
I ordered on Monday when it was for 2 for $5 and received it on Wednesday. But I did have spare PM simcard to activate within promo period. But this was a month ago. Now you are facing xmas rush or delay rather.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
1818 posts
1891 upvotes
hallieliu wrote: Hey guys, how soon will I get the sim card if i order from PM website? The website says 3-7 business days by Canada Post. If it ships by snail mail, i am afraid that i will not get it in time to activate by December 31. I am in GTA. Or maybe i should get it in a store? TIA.
You can try these guys
https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collec ... i-sim-card

In GTA area shipping or pick up.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
Oct 30, 2009
98 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
No minimum, Only need to have a Public Mobile account. I probably have the cheapest account they ever offered . A $5 month 30 minutes per month talk and text account. With all the Perks its down to $3.65 / month
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
1818 posts
1891 upvotes
hallieliu wrote: thanks for this. unfortunately my city is not in the list. Can i get a sim at the cell phone plan counter in Walmart?
You can. Walmart sometimes will offer the SIM card for free if you activate in store. However, if you are also interested in the $35+ plan with reoccurring 2GB promo code also, you will need to activate at home, not in store.
Public Mobile, Tangerine