Travel

Free / Cheap / Quick - Covid PCR / NAAT test in U.S. cities for Canadians returning to Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2022 3:23 pm
Dec 20, 2010
348 posts
442 upvotes
Ottawa
sffpcgtx wrote: Anybody know of test places across the border from Ottawa crossings?
Almost any Walgreens in upper new York State. The locations in Massena and Ogdensburg offer the Abbott Labs ID now NAAT test. Results are sent about 40 minutes after your test is run. Did one today and got results in 44 minutes and 90 minutes after testing.
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10505 posts
786 upvotes
Mississauga
GateGuardian wrote: I showed my Nexus card and they were ok with it.
But you have to enter a number in order to book the test?

Or do you even need to pre-book and you can just show up without a booking?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4414 posts
1759 upvotes
Durham Region
Compunerd wrote: Almost any Walgreens in upper new York State. The locations in Massena and Ogdensburg offer the Abbott Labs ID now NAAT test.
The one thing I've noticed with the NAAT tests at Walgreens is the availability of them comes and goes based on supply/demand. Unless you have an appointment booked before crossing, I would not count on them being available on demand for a short trip. Always have a backup plan.
Banned
Mar 3, 2021
707 posts
348 upvotes
@compunerd.......Thank you for this info. How much did it cost you, and was there any issues with CBSA crossing back to Ottawa?
Compunerd wrote: Almost any Walgreens in upper new York State. The locations in Massena and Ogdensburg offer the Abbott Labs ID now NAAT test. Results are sent about 40 minutes after your test is run. Did one today and got results in 44 minutes and 90 minutes after testing.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7900 posts
4026 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Tijuana wrote: But you have to enter a number in order to book the test?

You can enter ID # or any numbers for that matter.

Must book appt and NOT show up without a booking... they won't do test otherwise.
2022: BOC raised 2 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5048 posts
1695 upvotes
Mississauga
Tijuana wrote: But you have to enter a number in order to book the test?

I just left it blank and it was accepted.
Apr 20, 2009
374 posts
113 upvotes
Watching Global News Toronto last night and there was one New York town (near Buffalo) that is offering free PCR tests for Canadians staying and/or shopping with them. It would certainly be nice if other border towns took this lead in some capacity especially for American Thanksgiving/Black Friday.

Watertown NY.... are you listening! LOL
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7809 posts
3362 upvotes
Armeee wrote: Watching Global News Toronto last night and there was one New York town (near Buffalo) that is offering free PCR tests for Canadians staying and/or shopping with them. It would certainly be nice if other border towns took this lead in some capacity especially for American Thanksgiving/Black Friday.

Grand Forks, North Dakota:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8355680/gran ... -pcr-test/

I'd in Buffalo tomorrow if they offered free PCR tests with a same-day turnaround.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2006
1823 posts
4546 upvotes
Toronto
Armeee wrote: Watching Global News Toronto last night and there was one New York town (near Buffalo) that is offering free PCR tests for Canadians staying and/or shopping with them. It would certainly be nice if other border towns took this lead in some capacity especially for American Thanksgiving/Black Friday.

Is this one you are referring to:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8357018/new- ... ns-lifted/
Aug 22, 2011
422 posts
207 upvotes
Vancouver
Does anyone know where to get a PCR test in Point Roberts?
Nov 15, 2008
441 posts
176 upvotes
Vancouver
epinephrine wrote: Does anyone know where to get a PCR test in Point Roberts?
Yeah, hoping for something in Bellingham or Blaine soon. Ideally the requirement gets dropped before the end of the month, since the current policy is coming to an end according to my readings here, and it becomes a non-issue for land travel.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3788 posts
593 upvotes
seaker wrote: Yeah, hoping for something in Bellingham or Blaine soon. Ideally the requirement gets dropped before the end of the month, since the current policy is coming to an end according to my readings here, and it becomes a non-issue for land travel.
You can head to the walgreens in bellingham area if you can get a appointment... I looked today and the soonest is monday... I guess we have a few folks who ran down south
Dec 20, 2010
348 posts
442 upvotes
Ottawa
sffpcgtx wrote: @compunerd.......Thank you for this info. How much did it cost you, and was there any issues with CBSA crossing back to Ottawa?
Was not charged, no issues with test, CBSA agent was impressed with same day results. I booked it last Thursday at 12:05 am when slots became available and we booked the first two test slots.

Looks like the materials to run the test are 35$ Canadian so I think a fair price would be about 60 to 75$
source: https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/as ... review.pdf
Nov 15, 2008
441 posts
176 upvotes
Vancouver
shushwap wrote: You can head to the walgreens in bellingham area if you can get a appointment... I looked today and the soonest is monday... I guess we have a few folks who ran down south
I'm only going for the day, though, so Walgreen's won't be of any assistance in this case.
Feb 18, 2009
431 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto
seaker wrote: I'm only going for the day, though, so Walgreen's won't be of any assistance in this case.
If you book the NAAT instead of PCR, your results will come back within 2-3 hours or less!
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2003
1927 posts
897 upvotes
YVR
epinephrine wrote: Does anyone know where to get a PCR test in Point Roberts?
None there.

1) if in point bob You have to go to WA state by ferry from the point and then return

2) get tested in vancouver

3) drive to seattle to get a rapid pcr test and drive back.

basically the point is screwed like always. why anyone buys property there blows my mind. the hassle is so not worth it.

good luck.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.
Nov 15, 2008
441 posts
176 upvotes
Vancouver
wild_warren wrote: If you book the NAAT instead of PCR, your results will come back within 2-3 hours or less!
Thanks, but when I checked out Walgreens website for locations in the area, none were offering NAAT at the time.
Nov 15, 2008
441 posts
176 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks, but I read this article when it was first posted here, then skimmed it again. There was no mention of tests in WA state, and according to their website last week, they were not administering NAATs anywhere even remotely near when I'm going.