Travel

Free / Cheap / Quick - Covid PCR / NAAT test in U.S. cities for Canadians returning to Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2022 3:23 pm
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
13849 posts
17992 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm having a heck of a time trying to find out which tests are saliva and which are nasal swab. Specifically at Walgreens. Are there any saliva tests available anywhere? Mrs Kiraly is afraid of the swab and doesn't even want to travel if it means having to get one.
Sep 23, 2013
606 posts
697 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
My wife and kids were scared too. But they were ok once they found out the nasal test is self-administered in your car. The process is less invasive than before - only about an inch in and 10-15 seconds in each nostril. Done.
May 30, 2015
337 posts
313 upvotes
I wonder what happens if one gets positive results for their pcr test, would they be denied entrance back to Canada or just required to go home and quarantine?
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
3780 posts
4644 upvotes
Local Radio this AM had a chap from Vermont who was promoting his deals website which included free testing in the US.
The segment went in one ear out the other as we're not planning on travelling soon.

Cheers, KH
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12480 posts
2729 upvotes
Mississauga
FriendlyUnit wrote: I wonder what happens if one gets positive results for their pcr test, would they be denied entrance back to Canada or just required to go home and quarantine?
A Canadian cannot be denied entry into Canada.
[OP]
Mar 4, 2003
440 posts
117 upvotes
Newmarket
FriendlyUnit wrote: I wonder what happens if one gets positive results for their pcr test, would they be denied entrance back to Canada or just required to go home and quarantine?
Best guess is you'd probably be allowed in, but sent to quarantine.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2885 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
Any online/video conferencing based PCR test in US at a better price than switch health $140.
Mar 12, 2015
266 posts
243 upvotes
North York, ON
Talamasca wrote: A Canadian cannot be denied entry into Canada.
If you are driving back into Canada, that's fine. However, if you are flying back to Canada, the airline will not allow you to even check-in upon seeing your positive test results.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6412 posts
2500 upvotes
Montreal
Anyone planning on going down for Thanksgiving/Black Friday next week? We're going down from Thursday morning to Sunday evening and I'm wondering what turnaround time will be on the testing given the holiday. Think Walgreens/CVS will give results in 48 hours or less?
Sep 23, 2013
606 posts
697 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
psyko514 wrote: Anyone planning on going down for Thanksgiving/Black Friday next week? We're going down from Thursday morning to Sunday evening and I'm wondering what turnaround time will be on the testing given the holiday. Think Walgreens/CVS will give results in 48 hours or less?
Walgreens in California uses Aegis Labs for their test and Aegis has a running graph of their average Turnaround Time (TAT) in the link below. Perhaps all Walgreens in the US use Aesis. If so, it can give you some kind of guidance.

https://www.aegislabs.com/our-services/covid19-testing/
No fanboyism here. I only pledge allegiance to the hotness. - Flossy Carter
Jun 13, 2018
905 posts
634 upvotes
traxton wrote: If you are driving back into Canada, that's fine. However, if you are flying back to Canada, the airline will not allow you to even check-in upon seeing your positive test results.
was gonna post this. To be more accurate, if you can't produce a negative test result, that they can confirm, you won't be allowed on the plane even if you have an electronic boarding pass.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7921 posts
4050 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
hartzfizzo wrote: Walgreens in California uses Aegis Labs for their test and Aegis has a running graph of their average Turnaround Time (TAT) in the link below. Perhaps all Walgreens in the US use Aesis. If so, it can give you some kind of guidance.

https://www.aegislabs.com/our-services/covid19-testing/
Think it depends on type of test.

Believe PCR processing done at lab off site and fast antigen and fast NAAT [Canada accepts] done on site so should be faster but based on our experience it can vary by more then 20 hours even if done within same hour.
2022: BOC raised 2 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5053 posts
1695 upvotes
Mississauga
City: Irving, TX
Name of lab/organization: Walgreens
Type of tests available: ID NOW NAAT
Cost: "FREE"
Approximate processing time (stated vs. actual): Got swabbed at 3:15pm. Got my results at 5:30pm.
Tips/Tricks: Did not have to provide ID. Just confirmed with name and DOB.

City: Irving, TX
Name of lab/organization: CVS
Type of tests available: PCR
Cost: "FREE"
Approximate processing time (stated vs. actual): Got swabbed at 2:30pm. Got my results at 5:00pm the next day.
Tips/Tricks: Went at 1:30pm and they said it was two early, so came back at 2:30. Seems like they don't do this test after at this location as it took a while to set everything up.
Last edited by GateGuardian on Nov 19th, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2004
1102 posts
33 upvotes
In Niagara Falls, if you want to book with Walgreens the Rapid Test (ID NOW NAAT), you need to book four days in advance. Appointment times are all full.
May 30, 2015
337 posts
313 upvotes
How long in advance can you book your Walgreens test?
I am going to NYC on Dec 3rd and returning on Dec 6th. I am driving, so thinking on booking with Walgreens in advance for NAAT (ID NOW) on Dec 6th morning, so I get my results by the time I get to the border after around 9hrs our so. We are a family of 4.
Thx
[OP]
Mar 4, 2003
440 posts
117 upvotes
Newmarket
FriendlyUnit wrote: How long in advance can you book your Walgreens test?
I am going to NYC on Dec 3rd and returning on Dec 6th. I am driving, so thinking on booking with Walgreens in advance for NAAT (ID NOW) on Dec 6th morning, so I get my results by the time I get to the border after around 9hrs our so. We are a family of 4.
Thx
Don't bother with Walgreens in NYC - there aren't really any - you'd have to go to the Bronx. There are mobile vans literally everywhere doing free Covid testing. Check out LabQ - they list locations and hours. You'll have PCR results within 24 hours. Other labs have vans as well. NYC is super easy to get tested. No appointments necessary.

https://labq.com/covid-mobile-testing/
May 30, 2015
337 posts
313 upvotes
revlis wrote: Don't bother with Walgreens in NYC - there aren't really any - you'd have to go to the Bronx. There are mobile vans literally everywhere doing free Covid testing. Check out LabQ - they list locations and hours. You'll have PCR results within 24 hours. Other labs have vans as well. NYC is super easy to get tested. No appointments necessary.

https://labq.com/covid-mobile-testing/
Thanks so you just walk up and get tested ? DO they ask for any insurance or IDs?
I see there are some locations open on Sunday.
[OP]
Mar 4, 2003
440 posts
117 upvotes
Newmarket
FriendlyUnit wrote: Thanks so you just walk up and get tested ? DO they ask for any insurance or IDs?
I see there are some locations open on Sunday.
You can pre-register on LabQ website, and you'll get a qr code to scan at the van. Alternatively you can just walk up. Just have ID and use your hotel address or any US address. You'll also see CTS vans around times square. Just show ID and that's it. Nobody cares about insurance or if you're Canadian. It's super easy. I've done it several times in NYC already.

https://ctsmobiletesting.com/
May 30, 2015
337 posts
313 upvotes
How about unvaccinated kids under 12 ? Do they have to quarantine and stay home with no school for 14 days after their re-entry back into Canada?
[OP]
Mar 4, 2003
440 posts
117 upvotes
Newmarket
FriendlyUnit wrote: How about unvaccinated kids under 12 ? Do they have to quarantine and stay home with no school for 14 days after their re-entry back into Canada?
Cannot attend school for 14 days.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)