Free Credit Monitoring and Identity Theft Insurance by Capital One

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2019 4:04 pm
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
Anyone else who signed up for the true identity site find that you can no longer use Credit Karma now?
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2005
2098 posts
1968 upvotes
Received the email today as well and had this in the body. Hoping that’s somewhat good news?

“Based on our investigation to date, your Social Insurance Number was not exposed as a result of this incident.

Also, no credit card numbers, PIN codes or login credentials were compromised.”
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
1035 posts
349 upvotes
I received the same email.
Arkaine wrote: Received the email today as well and had this in the body. Hoping that’s somewhat good news?

“Based on our investigation to date, your Social Insurance Number was not exposed as a result of this incident.

Also, no credit card numbers, PIN codes or login credentials were compromised.”
signature removed - advertising is not permitted in signatures
May 17, 2012
642 posts
654 upvotes
Montreal
I just got the email today as well and signed up for the Transunion 2 year coverage. The "My True Identity" website and registration process actually looks really fishy and at some point I got sent to creditreviewdashboard.ca and thought this was a scam ...

So so far, in the past 5 years I was part of : the Home Depot data breach in 2014, the Equifax data breach in 2017. And now this. And I got the "your SIN may have been obtained" version on top of that. WHAT ARE THE ODDS FOR F**K'S SAKE.

Do I win something at some point? I'm considering just posting my SIN and DOB here at this point. What a joke.
Apr 26, 2010
923 posts
187 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mouseswimming wrote: I received the same email.
Same, consider myself one of the luckier ones i guess.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1250 posts
214 upvotes
Waterloo
Shiznacka wrote: You're one of the lucky few...mine reads:

Based on our investigation to date, your Social Insurance Number may have been obtained as a result of this incident.

No credit card numbers, PIN codes or login credentials were compromised as part of this incident.
That sucks. Mine says:

Based on our investigation to date, your Social Insurance Number was not exposed as a result of this incident.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10476 posts
656 upvotes
New-Brunswick
I also got the message that my SIN wasn't obtained but I fully expected my personal information was considering I've been getting more spam, including calls spoofed from the Service Canada main toll free leaving voicemails telling me my SIN was suspended for fraudulent activity.

It is just me or does the credit monitoring they offer look like a low quality knockoff of Credit Karma? From the quick run around I gave it the site seems to contain less information than Credit Karma.
May 17, 2012
642 posts
654 upvotes
Montreal
Feneant wrote: It is just me or does the credit monitoring they offer look like a low quality knockoff of Credit Karma? From the quick run around I gave it the site seems to contain less information than Credit Karma.
I've never used Credit Karma, but compared to Equifax their site is a joke. And that says a lot, as I consider Equifax's site somewhat of a joke too. You basically have your credit score tab (which for me is 110 points above my Equifax one ; go figure why), a page with your credit report divided in "sections", an empty (as in for me the page kinda doesn't load) "Alert" section ... And then some useless FAQ / educational tabs. I couldn't even figure out a way to easily print my credit report or PDF it on there. I would find it hard to think this can be a product you purchase, I tried Borrowell once and had more info on there than in this.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9824 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If someone has your name, address, phone number, DOB, can they replace you?
Making you the fake you, and steal your identity?
How does anyone know you are the real one?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
The credit monitoring website service they offered us offers identity theft insurance.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Aug 1, 2014
357 posts
376 upvotes
bennyboy84 wrote: I just got the email today as well and signed up for the Transunion 2 year coverage. The "My True Identity" website and registration process actually looks really fishy and at some point I got sent to creditreviewdashboard.ca and thought this was a scam ...

So so far, in the past 5 years I was part of : the Home Depot data breach in 2014, the Equifax data breach in 2017. And now this. And I got the "your SIN may have been obtained" version on top of that. WHAT ARE THE ODDS FOR F**K'S SAKE.

Do I win something at some point? I'm considering just posting my SIN and DOB here at this point. What a joke.
Buy a lottery. You’re the lucky one!
Oct 16, 2016
92 posts
28 upvotes
Brampton
Just got mail too. Regestired TransUnion.

Personal information impacted.

Our investigation has determined that the person responsible may have gained access to the following information:

Personal information routinely collected at the time we receive credit applications, including name, address, postal code, phone number, email address, date of birth and self-reported income.
Customer status data, including credit score, credit limit, account balance, payment history and contact information.
Fragments of customer transaction data from a total of 23 days during 2016, 2017 and 2018.
Based on our investigation to date, your Social Insurance Number was not exposed as a result of this incident.

Also, no credit card numbers, PIN codes or login credentials were compromised.
Regards,
Sheray
Jan 13, 2012
156 posts
10 upvotes
Has anyone successfully signed up for this? I used the activation code and made an account.

Keep getting this error for 4 days now, tried multiple times during the day and night, still same error:

Unfortunately, myTrueIdentity has encountered a temporary issue with your request. We apologize for the inconvenience.

I called transunion customer service, total joke...20 minute wait for the guy to tell me it’s a problem with their website and there is nothing they can do. That’s after it took 10 minutes just to understand my email...they asked me to spell the @ symbol for them....I’m pretty sure these call centres are just trying to frustrate customers so they give up.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1711 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
Wife and I both got emails. She had her SIN impacted, I did not. She received notification several days before me.

I cannot sign up for the monitoring offer which is likely still related to this disaster... help-me-understand-transunions-incompet ... #p28361832

Does anyone know if you can update personal info now with TU via electronic means? I am not looking forward to this conversation...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6144 posts
3614 upvotes
Toronto
spintheblackcircle wrote: Wife and I both got emails. She had her SIN impacted, I did not. She received notification several days before me.

I cannot sign up for the monitoring offer which is likely still related to this disaster... help-me-understand-transunions-incompet ... #p28361832

Does anyone know if you can update personal info now with TU via electronic means? I am not looking forward to this conversation...
I am also having issues updating things electronically. I added some comments to your old thread that you referred to. I will update my progress in the thread I started a month ago:
any-body-else-having-troubles-getting-t ... y-2299769/
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2787 upvotes
This should serve as an alarming reminder not to disclose your SIN when applying for credit cards.
Jul 3, 2019
912 posts
503 upvotes
ilove wrote: This should serve as an alarming reminder not to disclose your SIN when applying for credit cards.
How to do it though? It seems like most banks ask for your SIN. Is it really possible to avoid it? If so, how? I couldn’t find any way when I applied for a specific card (not Capital One).
Jan 23, 2009
946 posts
1932 upvotes
Ontario
ilove wrote: This should serve as an alarming reminder not to disclose your SIN when applying for credit cards.
F3el96 wrote: How to do it though? It seems like most banks ask for your SIN. Is it really possible to avoid it? If so, how? I couldn’t find any way when I applied for a specific card (not Capital One).
You MUST provide your SIN to open any account at a Bank \ Credit Union, it is by law in order to report any interest earned to CRA.

With the credit card you don't require but you "guess it" as soon as they hard hit your Credit Bureau account they will receive a full copy of your credit bureau history that include everything ie SIN, DOB, Address, employment, phone # etc..

We should all call\tweet\email\write our MPP-MP to pass similar law that exit in USA that require the ability for consumers to freeze their credit reports. Americans can order credit bureaus to freeze third parties — including creditors — from viewing their credit profile. Canadians don’t have such tough credit file protections.

Thanks OP for the post - why the downvote

PS. i did not received any letter from capital one but i did call and was told "info were exposed" - the letter in the mail - 6 millions Canadian seems to me every one in Canada with capitol One credit card