64 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2644 posts
138 upvotes
Calgary
:confused:

Offer Details:
Simply click "Submit" on the next page to claim your FREE Credit Profiles and Score and activate your trial membership in Privacy Protection Plus. After your 7-day FREE trial, the membership fee of $29.95 per month will be charged by Privacy Protection Plus to the credit card you use today, and then automatically charged each month at the then-current monthly membership fee so long as you remain a member. Of course, you can call us toll-free at 1-866-444-1837 within the first 7 days to cancel - you will have paid nothing and owe nothing. Remember, Privacy Protection Plus comes with our guarantee - you can call to cancel at any time and you will no longer be charged.
Life is life
When we all feel the power
Life is life
When we all feel the pain
Life is life
It's the feeling of the people
Life is life
It is the feeling of the land. Opus :razz:
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
1769 posts
586 upvotes
personally I would rather apply for a free credit check from the actual credit agencies Equifax or Transunion
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18378 posts
2780 upvotes
Langley
I tried it. I signed up to get a free credit report. Turns out it's a minor hassle, you have to send away for a form that you fill out... so in other words, it would likely take longer then the free week. So I called in to cancel, and they have a thing now where you get a full year for $30. So I took that option, and I'll try to get my money's worth. You also get a free criminal background check. I'm going to look up someone that I don't like.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18378 posts
2780 upvotes
Langley
Actually, it looks like there really is immediate online access to your credit score for free. Sign up, get a transunion gift code, then cancel. I think you get a rebate on an Equifax score, but I'll wait until the rebate forms come in the mail before I order anything.
Mar 7, 2008
41 posts
Toronto
dux wrote: http://www.freecreditreportsincanada.ca/

Anybody tried this before?
Everyone should be aware that EACH and EVERY time a company checks your credit, be it, bank, leasaing co, cell phone co, utilities or even so-called free credit check company.

Your credit rating or BEACON is dinged a few points. And goes down, that is bad.> :(

So, when you go to apply for financing, credit card or whatever they will pull your "Credit Bureau" look at it and very often have formulas to follow. r may just go on the fact you've had "too many enquiries"!

So everyone, if you can....

1)refrain from using these services
2) use caution when "shopping around" for any big ticket or credit based item or service. And be aware when you sign ANY application, they have the right to check your credit.

Deb
Oct 31, 2007
264 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
i6s1 wrote: Actually, it looks like there really is immediate online access to your credit score for free. Sign up, get a transunion gift code, then cancel. I think you get a rebate on an Equifax score, but I'll wait until the rebate forms come in the mail before I order anything.
I registered and entered all my info to the website. In the end, it gave me a Membership ID and directed me to the privacyplus.ca website. Now when I log in to the privacyplus.ca website, I can't see any credit scores.
How do we see the credit score? I'm starting to have doubts about this!
Oct 31, 2007
264 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
I really hope these guys mail me the stuff quickly before the 7 days is over because I don't want to pay $30.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18378 posts
2780 upvotes
Langley

Pick the Credit Reporting button near the top,

The click the "Online Credit Profile, Score and Monitoring" link on the left menu,

Then follow the instructions on the right. There's a "click here" in the first paragraph that will give you a transunion code.

Go to transunion, log in, and redem the code.

***TIP***

Set up a Transunion account before your PrivacyPlus membership. Since Transunion has to verify your information, it might take a few days or more. I already had one so it wasn't an issue for me.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18378 posts
2780 upvotes
Langley
cowboy_loves_me wrote: Everyone should be aware that EACH and EVERY time a company checks your credit, be it, bank, leasaing co, cell phone co, utilities or even so-called free credit check company.

Your credit rating or BEACON is dinged a few points. And goes down, that is bad.> :(

So, when you go to apply for financing, credit card or whatever they will pull your "Credit Bureau" look at it and very often have formulas to follow. r may just go on the fact you've had "too many enquiries"!

So everyone, if you can....

1)refrain from using these services
2) use caution when "shopping around" for any big ticket or credit based item or service. And be aware when you sign ANY application, they have the right to check your credit.

Deb
You are right about the credit inquiries hurting your score, but in this case, you're checking it yourself. That doesn't hurt your score.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2008
2509 posts
901 upvotes
Halifax
I signed up today and it worked... a bit of a hassle though like a previous poster mentioned...

You sign up with PrivacyPlus.ca, log in, go to Credit Monitoring, get the TransUnion gift certificate code, go to the TransUnion website and register(if you dont already have an account with them), then use the gift certificate code and voila, free credit report with your score included...

So now I have to call to cancel my Privacy Plus membership within the next 7 days... Ill be calling today...
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2443 posts
415 upvotes
GTA
What's the point of a credit report?

do you really need a site to tell you where you stand ...can't estimate based on your own values?

and isn't this the same as the credit bureau?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18378 posts
2780 upvotes
Langley
aZian_ wrote: What's the point of a credit report?

do you really need a site to tell you where you stand ...can't estimate based on your own values?

and isn't this the same as the credit bureau?
It's a good idea to check your report once a year to look for inaccuracies. You can get it for free by filling out a form and they'll mail it to you, but this is a little quicker and it includes your credit score.
Oct 31, 2007
264 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
I called to cancel my membership and the guy offered me a one year full membership with full access to my profile, scores, etc for only $29.95
not bad...1/12th of what it originally was.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)