• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2007 7:57 am
[OP]
May 22, 2007
467 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario

Free Credit Reports - Where in Canada

I have been in Canada for almost 3 years now & have not yet checked my credit report. I am thinking it is now about time I did this.

Where can I get access to my credit report in Canada at no fee? Does this service exist in Canada?

As always thanks in advance for the wealth of advice provided.
16 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35617 posts
9675 upvotes
Ottawa
Both Equifax and Transunion operate in Canada. They must, by law, provide you with one free report per year. They don't do this online though. You need to download the form, fill it out, provide proof of who you are and, mail it away. You can get it online...for a small fee :)
[OP]
May 22, 2007
467 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote: Both Equifax and Transunion operate in Canada. They must, by law, provide you with one free report per year. They don't do this online though. You need to download the form, fill it out, provide proof of who you are and, mail it away. You can get it online...for a small fee :)
Thanks for the info - is it better to get one from each or do they both provide the same info?

Thanks Pete_Coach.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35617 posts
9675 upvotes
Ottawa
They are both free, all it costs you is a stamp or two. If you get both, then you can compare the statistics at least.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19793 posts
4386 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Pete_Coach wrote: Both Equifax and Transunion operate in Canada. They must, by law, provide you with one free report per year. They don't do this online though. You need to download the form, fill it out, provide proof of who you are and, mail it away. You can get it online...for a small fee :)
The free reports do NOT contain the actual credit score. They just contain the factual information they collect about all the accounts. This gives you a chance to challenge any incorrect info and identify any possible identity theft. That's the purpose of the free reports.

If you want the actual score then you have to pay.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
1095 posts
124 upvotes
Mississauga
You dont need stamp,just call the number
1800 465 7166
CoNtRaCtOr
Dec 21, 2006
649 posts
23 upvotes
Richmond
if you really want your score for free, there is a way to get it from transunion. you can sign up for a free trial at privacy protection plus (privacyplus.ca), then they give you a code to get 3 free months of transunion's online service. you just have to remember to cancel the privacyplus thing before the trial period ends. you can even get money back for the privacyplus trial through places like greatcanadianrebates, deal guild, etc
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2002
3855 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga
reports are free. the scores are not.
Dec 21, 2006
649 posts
23 upvotes
Richmond
simms wrote: reports are free. the scores are not.
If that's in response to my comment, I can say with absolute certainty that I am getting 3 months of full reporting (including my score) from Transunion for free through the method I described above.
Sep 9, 2005
815 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
Although credit bureaus are obligated only to give one free report per year, I don't think they limit you to that, I guess as long as you don't abuse it. I have gotten 3 free reports over the course of a year when I was trying to keep a close eye on potential errors.

Darren, that privacy plus site only has a place for your member id, no links telling about it or a place to sign up. Can you give more details?
May 4, 2007
139 posts
26 upvotes
TTony wrote: You dont need stamp,just call the number
1800 465 7166
Called the number (and the equivalent one for Transunion) but both automated systems says that they are unable to find my file with the information provided. May be related to not having a landline. So YMMV
Dec 21, 2006
649 posts
23 upvotes
Richmond
Salinger wrote: Although credit bureaus are obligated only to give one free report per year, I don't think they limit you to that, I guess as long as you don't abuse it. I have gotten 3 free reports over the course of a year when I was trying to keep a close eye on potential errors.

Darren, that privacy plus site only has a place for your member id, no links telling about it or a place to sign up. Can you give more details?
The best way to do it is to register with deal guild.com (no space) or greatcanadianrebates.ca, then click through to Privacy Protection Plus. Not only will you get your free trial, you'll get 11 bucks back to boot.

If you don't like free money, try this link:
https://www.membershipme.com/Offers/Pag ... fid=11146_
Nov 20, 2003
204 posts
[QUOTE]If you don't like free money, try this link:
https://www.membershipme.com/Offers/...ref id=11146_[/QUOTE]

I signed up using that an hour ago, and I still did not get their email. It said I should get the email within a few minutes. I can't find a contact number or anything, how the hell do I know know if I am signed up or wether they are gonna charge me money every month?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2005
2667 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
MiloshJ wrote: I signed up using that an hour ago, and I still did not get their email. It said I should get the email within a few minutes. I can't find a contact number or anything, how the hell do I know know if I am signed up or wether they are gonna charge me money every month?
did you get reply from them either? I just signed up and haven't heard anything?
[QUOTE]there's no such thing as a stupid question unless it's a really stupid question - me[/QUOTE]
Dec 21, 2006
649 posts
23 upvotes
Richmond
flito ray wrote: did you get reply from them either? I just signed up and haven't heard anything?
I didn't get a reply either when I signed up. I had to phone them (found a # somewhere on the website I think).