• Jul 14th, 2022 2:47 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Jan 29, 2005
406 posts
8 upvotes
Cambridge
i am using a 3 year old imate sp5 softphone and it works with voip just fine... just need to install wm6 someone like i did...
Banned
Jan 29, 2005
406 posts
8 upvotes
Cambridge
emoci wrote: The only place of the usual suspects that offers specifically a Guelph number was Les.net, but at $10.95/month for unlimited incoming it's not very cheap
here is what you do ... sign up for a 658 number with bell
guelph / kw / cambridge / brampton can all call 658 for free. then transfer it to a voip provider
Aug 3, 2007
800 posts
701 upvotes
emoci wrote: Well you propably don't want a PAP2-NA,or unlocked PAP2 to use with Vonage as it risks being locked (just a heads up that there are better VoIP choices, but that's irrelevant to the question)
Hi emoci, I'm NOT with Vonage but in the market for a PAP2T-NA...which other devices would you recommend? and can you provide the links to where to buy them? thanks in advance.

Regards.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Ben07 wrote: Hi emoci, I'm NOT with Vonage but in the market for a PAP2T-NA...which other devices would you recommend? and can you provide the links to where to buy them? thanks in advance.

Regards.
I use the regular PAP2-NA, which I got from ebay (this is the seller I got it from http://search.ebay.ca/pap2_W0QQcatrefZC ... sofocusZbs)

Another good choice is SPA-3102 (which is like the real nice end of the line deal if you don't mind paying more) http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do ... cid=NT.841

The PAP2T, is the PAP2's more recent version if I may call it that. Linksys is no longer making the just PAP2 model, but the PAP2T.... In general there should be little to no difference in the way they run, however personally I would pick a PAP2 over a PAP2T (enough people have tinkered with the PAP2 that there is a lot of info out there on how to deal with it)

Also if you are ordering from eBay, I would suggest picking an HK seller over a US seller (they ship airmail, comes faster--max 10 days-- from my experience, and you are less likely to get dinged with taxes from customs)....Also if you place the order using a referal from a place like Great Canadian Rebates you may get a little kickback as well
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Aug 3, 2007
800 posts
701 upvotes
emoci wrote: I use the regular PAP2-NA, which I got from ebay (this is the seller I got it from http://search.ebay.ca/pap2_W0QQcatrefZC ... sofocusZbs)

Another good choice is SPA-3102 (which is like the real nice end of the line deal if you don't mind paying more) http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do ... cid=NT.841

The PAP2T, is the PAP2's more recent version if I may call it that. Linksys is no longer making the just PAP2 model, but the PAP2T.... In general there should be little to no difference in the way they run, however personally I would pick a PAP2 over a PAP2T (enough people have tinkered with the PAP2 that there is a lot of info out there on how to deal with it)

Also if you are ordering from eBay, I would suggest picking an HK seller over a US seller (they ship airmail, comes faster--max 10 days-- from my experience, and you are less likely to get dinged with taxes from customs)....Also if you place the order using a referal from a place like Great Canadian Rebates you may get a little kickback as well
Hi emoci, Wow, thanks for the info and links, much appreciated.

Best regards.
Dec 5, 2005
323 posts
I am wondering if it's possible to set skype up to an ata box for outgoing calls?

Right now I have the ata box set up so I can use it with sip broker.

If it's not possible is there anything that is?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
CailinBlue wrote: I am wondering if it's possible to set skype up to an ata box for outgoing calls?

Right now I have the ata box set up so I can use it with sip broker.

If it's not possible is there anything that is?

Thanks
Skype is not based on SIP protocol, so you can't register to it as you would with most services.

However, if you buy a Skype adapter, and are ok with leaving your PC on with Skype running, you can use skype from your the same phone that's hooked up to your ATA....

The Skype Adapter hooks up between your Phone and your ATA, and plugs into the PC via USB. Most of them require you to dial ## for a Skype Line...

Example of an adapter:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/For-Skype-VoIP-USB-t ... dZViewItem
http://canadacomputers.com/main.php?do= ... cid=NT.841
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Dec 5, 2005
323 posts
Is there any other sevices that offer this for cheap or free?
emoci wrote: Skype is not based on SIP protocol, so you can't register to it as you would with most services.

However, if you buy a Skype adapter, and are ok with leaving your PC on with Skype running, you can use skype from your the same phone that's hooked up to your ATA....

The Skype Adapter hooks up between your Phone and your ATA, and plugs into the PC via USB. Most of them require you to dial ## for a Skype Line...

Example of an adapter:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/For-Skype-VoIP-USB-t ... dZViewItem
http://canadacomputers.com/main.php?do= ... cid=NT.841
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
CailinBlue wrote: Is there any other sevices that offer this for cheap or free?
Well, there is no services that will let you integrate Skype (it may be possible if you were running your own Asterisk server and integrated it within TrixBox, but this is a lot of work and has mixed reviews)

There is always other services like Skype (free calling to a number of countries) but with SIP support. This is where that list of BetaMax providers that's on the third page (click continue from OP) comes in....
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Nov 7, 2007
65 posts
Who has used net2max. It appears to be a platform that can accomplish things that I have been using PBXes, mysipswitch, GTalk2VOIP and voxalot for. Such as callthru, call redirection, DISA, etc. It has its own set of global break-in numbers in addition to sipbroker. Also free use of upto 20 channels.

The problem that I have had so far is that the documentation is incomplete and quite confusing. I consider myself relatively up to speed on using most VOIP platforms but get lost everytime I spend 30 min or so on net2max.

I would love to hear how people have been able to put this to use and if you are aware of any forum disscusions. Although it is many years old it seems not to have made it into many voip forums.

spg
Nov 7, 2007
65 posts
Cailinblue,

If your goal is to call skype users without using skype try: mobivox and/or barablu.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
A few new updates, and tweaks to the OP info and this:

Free Calls from your Landline or CellPhone (no registration required):
A combination of SwitchVoX+Yak4Ever (My own creation)
-Call a SipBroker Access Number local to you (http://www.sipbroker.com/sipbroker/action/pstnNumbers)
-When Prompted enter *010994837#
-You'll now reach Yak4Ever
-It'll ask for an authorization code, enter 1550#
-When it says to enter the guest extension number, enter the number to call (001-xxx-xxx-xxxx for North America, 011-Number for elsewhere followed by # . To see countries that can be called for free see http://yak4ever.com/ )

Note: Please use but do not abuse this solution, or we'll all lose it.
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Nov 7, 2007
65 posts
i am starting to learn a bit about net2max. this is one really incredibly powerfull platform. it has also apparently been around for many years but is not well known/subscribed too outside of australia and east asia. on the other hand documentation is very confusing and it is not a very user friendly system.

Cailinblue. i have tested and you can set up your SIP phone with net2max and than dial anyone on gtalk, yahoo, msn, and yes also skype. for skype users you simply dial 899099skypename and will be connected. you can also set up numeric codes for your skype contacts.

this thread should be usefull:

http://forum.net2max.com/index.php?showtopic=2704

emoci. cool deal with the switchvox/yak setup. but for most calls the quality would tend to be better to just call out switchvox since you can call nearly all the same destinations without the need to route through yak4ever. an extension can be used just as if it were a VSP account.
Nov 7, 2007
65 posts
just an additional not of interest concerning net2max:

when you dial to msn, yahoo, or gtalk the calls are routed via gtalk2voip.
Nov 7, 2007
65 posts
an alternate clean route to call landlines in many countries(plus us/canada mobiles)

dial *87408082 than dial 9+1+number(us and canada) or 9+011+number(other countries) after the prompt to enter extension.

*8740 is sipbroker code for the demo copy of switchvox *8740xxxx will get you to any extension that is set up to recieve calls(through the inbound routing setup)
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
satphoneguy wrote: emoci. cool deal with the switchvox/yak setup. but for most calls the quality would tend to be better to just call out switchvox since you can call nearly all the same destinations without the need to route through yak4ever. an extension can be used just as if it were a VSP account.
satphoneguy wrote: an alternate clean route to call landlines in many countries(plus us/canada mobiles)

dial *87408082 than dial 9+1+number(us and canada) or 9+011+number(other countries) after the prompt to enter extension.

*8740 is sipbroker code for the demo copy of switchvox *8740xxxx will get you to any extension that is set up to recieve calls(through the inbound routing setup)
The only reason I went the Yak4Ever route, is that it is less likely to be a major issue to SwitchVox to route to a US number rather than call all over the world.... (hence more likely to remain available....)

But your method works (can't figure out why it starts with a delay and "did not understand your selection" though....)
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Nov 7, 2007
65 posts
emoci,

good point. but i am not so sure that would save switchvox money. wholesale termination rates tend to vary based area code to area code in north america. a plan that only cost .002 for a call to new york could cost .14 for a call to yak4ever(area code 218-936.) if you are being billed variable wholesale termination(as switchvox likely is) yak4ever is acctually far more expensive to call than most overseas destination. it is exactly that fact that makes services like yak4ever profitable bussiness' and the cause of many lawsuits from the likes of AT&T.

likely having all these calls go to the same number would catch attention. another thing that would be cause for less attention would be to have voxalot, tpad, etc. pointed at the virtual extension from outside through mysipswitch as opposed to registering inside switchvox. you could use the new dialplan functions in mysipswitch to set a new caller ID. that way everything shows up as an anonomous call to ext. 3031(or whatever break out route.) instead of leaving all the call records.

since the post on voipguides about switchvox a couple weeks ago there are so many different services being registered as voip providers in switchvox that do look like what would normally be used for evaluation purposes.

another thing that people should be aware of is that anyone can log into the switchvox demo and listen to any conversation going on or set it up to record based on a set of rules. there should be no expectation of privacy.
Nov 7, 2007
65 posts
emoci said:

But your method works (can't figure out why it starts with a delay and "did not understand your selection" though....)

willy, the guy that set that up did not want it to be so obvious what was going on.
Nov 7, 2007
65 posts
I would like to suggest everyone take a look at net2max. Your basic account is free. This is a quite old service out of australia that as far as I can tell is not very well know anyplace other than australia and part of east asia. It is capable of too much to mention. Basically anything that you would use PBXes, mysipswitch, voxalot, or other multi-function platforms can be accomplished. Some examples: callthru, callback, setting up dial plans with multiple VSPs, automatic callforwarding. It also has its own set of break-in numbers around the world; similar to t-pad and sipbroker. That is just the start it also supports text messaging, email, IM, and much more. One of the most interesting functions is that Yahoo, MSN, Gtalk, and Skype(that right Skype) are fully intergrated. For example it you can call any skype user from any SIP or IAX softphone or through an ATA, etc. or you could set up a free DID to automatically forward to your skype account. This will work even in situations where skype-in is blocked such as with the new 3 skypephone.
One drawback is that the documentation in the form of a forum and wiki is quite confusing as is the interface that is used to set everything up. This is not something you learn all about in an hour. I would suggest open an account(called 1cc number and linked to your cellphone) and than if you are like me you will see how powerfull the platform is and gradually use it for more and more of your VOIP needs.