Computers & Electronics

Free DID Numbers, Free Voip Calls, & more Voip Info

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2016 6:42 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 13, 2007
35 posts
Thank-you for your generous help emoci. I have learned a great deal on VoIP from the information you have provided as well as from other sources.

There is a question I have yet found an answer for and I hope your knowledge could shine some light on. My question is regarding to the use of an unlock VoI router such as Linksys PAP2-NA; as an example, once I have joined a service provider such a vonage.ca with a Canadian #, would the device still usable to make local calls when bringing it to use in a different country?

Thank-you for your reply in advance.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
kaerbslaed wrote: Thank-you for your generous help emoci. I have learned a great deal on VoIP from the information you have provided as well as from other sources.

There is a question I have yet found an answer for and I hope your knowledge could shine some light on. My question is regarding to the use of an unlock VoI router such as Linksys PAP2-NA; as an example, once I have joined a service provider such a vonage.ca with a Canadian #, would the device still usable to make local calls when bringing it to use in a different country?

Thank-you for your reply in advance.
Well you propably don't want a PAP2-NA,or unlocked PAP2 to use with Vonage as it risks being locked (just a heads up that there are better VoIP choices, but that's irrelevant to the question)

Let's just say you joined company with name VSP. It gives you free calls to any other number in Toronto let's say. Not only that but you also get a number 416-111-2222

If you go on holidays to Florida, and your hotel has internet so you can hook up your PAP2, you can still make calls to Toronto for free as you would when you are at home (I am assuming you live in Toronto for the sake of the example).

Also when someone calls your number 416-111-2222 whether you are hooked up in Toronto, Florida or China you can receive those calls the same way regardless of where you are.....

(Just another heads up, this is only the case with regular VoIP, Skype for example will let you make unlimited calls as long as you are in US/Canada if you have their $30 package, but once it sees your IP is outside that area you can't make those unlimited calls anymore)

Does that sort of clarify things....
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Sep 13, 2007
35 posts
Your answer has clarify everything that I needed to find out. Thanks emoci
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2004
5280 posts
1285 upvotes
Toronto
best thread ever?

i would have to say yes
Jan 15, 2006
179 posts
124 upvotes
I have a pocket pc phone edition with WiFi connection and a free Acanac phoneNumber.
Can I use my pocket pc as a voip phone?
Do you know any software that could help me?

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3246 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga
vlaine wrote: I have a pocket pc phone edition with WiFi connection and a free Acanac phoneNumber.
Can I use my pocket pc as a voip phone?
Do you know any software that could help me?

Thanks.
There are a few different softphones available. I have used SJphone on my Dell Axim with no problems, but haven't tested any of the others (yet). Just be sure to use a headset/earbuds, as it sounds like you're in a cave otherwise.
Aug 17, 2006
661 posts
43 upvotes
Hi

Is there anyone who provides DID for Guelph, Ontario. It is 519 same as kitchener/waterloo/london but if we take 519 number from these areas it becomes long distance call to the Guelph. I want 519 number that should be local to Guelph. Please let me know. Thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
ks_tiwari wrote: Hi

Is there anyone who provides DID for Guelph, Ontario. It is 519 same as kitchener/waterloo/london but if we take 519 number from these areas it becomes long distance call to the Guelph. I want 519 number that should be local to Guelph. Please let me know. Thanks
The only place of the usual suspects that offers specifically a Guelph number was Les.net, but at $10.95/month for unlimited incoming it's not very cheap
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Aug 17, 2006
661 posts
43 upvotes
Thanks Emoci

I am signing up with Acanac they are providing 12 months free and also providing 519 area code but those numbers are not local to Guelph. Anyway i hope they will soon introduce more area codes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
ks_tiwari wrote: Thanks Emoci

I am signing up with Acanac they are providing 12 months free and also providing 519 area code but those numbers are not local to Guelph. Anyway i hope they will soon introduce more area codes.
The only good thing is that you should still be able to call for free within Guelph (I think)....

Yeah I hate to say, but when it comes to DID numbers beyond some major cities prices are still high and availiability not all there
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Banned
Jan 29, 2005
406 posts
8 upvotes
Cambridge
i am using a 3 year old imate sp5 softphone and it works with voip just fine... just need to install wm6 someone like i did...
Banned
Jan 29, 2005
406 posts
8 upvotes
Cambridge
emoci wrote: The only place of the usual suspects that offers specifically a Guelph number was Les.net, but at $10.95/month for unlimited incoming it's not very cheap
here is what you do ... sign up for a 658 number with bell
guelph / kw / cambridge / brampton can all call 658 for free. then transfer it to a voip provider
Aug 3, 2007
634 posts
296 upvotes
emoci wrote: Well you propably don't want a PAP2-NA,or unlocked PAP2 to use with Vonage as it risks being locked (just a heads up that there are better VoIP choices, but that's irrelevant to the question)
Hi emoci, I'm NOT with Vonage but in the market for a PAP2T-NA...which other devices would you recommend? and can you provide the links to where to buy them? thanks in advance.

Regards.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Ben07 wrote: Hi emoci, I'm NOT with Vonage but in the market for a PAP2T-NA...which other devices would you recommend? and can you provide the links to where to buy them? thanks in advance.

Regards.
I use the regular PAP2-NA, which I got from ebay (this is the seller I got it from http://search.ebay.ca/pap2_W0QQcatrefZC ... sofocusZbs)

Another good choice is SPA-3102 (which is like the real nice end of the line deal if you don't mind paying more) http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do ... cid=NT.841

The PAP2T, is the PAP2's more recent version if I may call it that. Linksys is no longer making the just PAP2 model, but the PAP2T.... In general there should be little to no difference in the way they run, however personally I would pick a PAP2 over a PAP2T (enough people have tinkered with the PAP2 that there is a lot of info out there on how to deal with it)

Also if you are ordering from eBay, I would suggest picking an HK seller over a US seller (they ship airmail, comes faster--max 10 days-- from my experience, and you are less likely to get dinged with taxes from customs)....Also if you place the order using a referal from a place like Great Canadian Rebates you may get a little kickback as well
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Aug 3, 2007
634 posts
296 upvotes
emoci wrote: I use the regular PAP2-NA, which I got from ebay (this is the seller I got it from http://search.ebay.ca/pap2_W0QQcatrefZC ... sofocusZbs)

Another good choice is SPA-3102 (which is like the real nice end of the line deal if you don't mind paying more) http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do ... cid=NT.841

The PAP2T, is the PAP2's more recent version if I may call it that. Linksys is no longer making the just PAP2 model, but the PAP2T.... In general there should be little to no difference in the way they run, however personally I would pick a PAP2 over a PAP2T (enough people have tinkered with the PAP2 that there is a lot of info out there on how to deal with it)

Also if you are ordering from eBay, I would suggest picking an HK seller over a US seller (they ship airmail, comes faster--max 10 days-- from my experience, and you are less likely to get dinged with taxes from customs)....Also if you place the order using a referal from a place like Great Canadian Rebates you may get a little kickback as well
Hi emoci, Wow, thanks for the info and links, much appreciated.

Best regards.