• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2016 6:42 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 7, 2001
500 posts
138 upvotes
Nepean
Do any of these free services allow you to make calls with a standard SIP device instead of using proprietary client?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
zepperdude wrote: Do any of these free services allow you to make calls with a standard SIP device instead of using proprietary client?
PhoneGnome can be configured with an adapter, but in order to call for free, the person you are calling must as well be registered.

The rest of them simply tie you down to a computer/headset and mic.

On a sidenote, about a month ago, I got one of those Skype Adapters(http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... rd=1&rd=1). It hooks up to a computer via USB (so you can use it with Skype (full compatibility), or other softphone applications (in this case your phone just replaces your headphone and mic)). On the other end it hooks up to a phone line (or voip line), and then onto a phone.

In summary, when you pickup the phone you have your Home/Voip Line, dial ##, and you have Skype line, or use of the phone as a Headset/Mic for the computer to which it is attached. A crude workaround I know, but it gives some sort of integration between SIP and Proprietary as long as the computer is on.
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
2340 posts
25 upvotes
Most of the free services can be configured to work an standar ATAs like the PAP2. Most of the free services are not going to pour money into developing new stacks when they can you the fully developed (and free) SIP stacks. You just have to look around in the settigs. For the longest time I have Vbuzzer as a primary line. It was utter crap, but it worked pretty well. Now I am happy to have a number that simply forwards through to my landline. I have a cell phone and I have unlimited incoming calls. Most of my relatives are now on phonegnome, so I bridge the call using there website. I don't pay for incoming, and many of them don't either.
Banned
Jun 9, 2007
90 posts
USA
i tried registering with phonegnome with my singapore number but it doesnt work. Keep on giving me busy tone

can someone help me, i guess i am not entering Forwarding Number in proper format

What should we put there? 011659XXX5121 or 1659XXX5121 or 659XXX5121

can someone help? does it get activated immediately?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
vinnythejinny wrote: i tried registering with phonegnome with my singapore number but it doesnt work. Keep on giving me busy tone

can someone help me, i guess i am not entering Forwarding Number in proper format

What should we put there? 011659XXX5121 or 1659XXX5121 or 659XXX5121

can someone help? does it get activated immediately?
This depends on which account you are using to forward the call. Assuming you are using the same account with which you registered the number (as my instructions go), then the number should be entered the same way someone in Singapore would dial it.
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Jul 7, 2006
212 posts
26 upvotes
Thanks for the list! I've heard of most of the Voip services, but a couple of them are new to me.

There is a slight typo in the URL for Grand Central. It should read "www.grandcentral.com", rather than "www.grancentral.com"

I didn't know that the Gizmo 775 number requires a U.S. address. I was able to get the 775 number last year without a U.S. address. Has something changed?

Thanks again for your hard work, that list must've taken hours to compile!
emoci wrote: Gizmo Project/ SipPhone (www.gizmoproject.com / www.sipphone.com)
-Use with their SoftPhone/Others/Voip Adapter
-More aimed at putting together IM and Voip
-Free Calls to other members
-You are assigned a 1-745 number (only valid within Gizmo, not from outside)
-Can get a free 775 area code PSTN nummber (but requires a credit card and US adress)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Lemina_Ausa wrote: I didn't know that the Gizmo 775 number requires a U.S. address. I was able to get the 775 number last year without a U.S. address. Has something changed?

Thanks again for your hard work, that list must've taken hours to compile!
About the 775, it asked for a CC, and not only that but it required a billing address. Only US States, no Provinces available to choose from. This is what happened when I tried at least, if someone can confirm........
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
2340 posts
25 upvotes
I tried adding a Netherlands mobile number to PhoneGnome and it took; however, as it is not my phone number I had no way to test it. Regardless, I am probably going to sign up for phonegnomes Reachbeyond service, as it appears that I can add any number to it even if it is mobile.

Edit: it excludes Dutch mobiles on second glance :( .

I guess I am sticking to the built in VOIP client in my N80 and relying on my local wi-fi :( .
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
abu_sme wrote: I tried adding a Netherlands mobile number to PhoneGnome and it took; however, as it is not my phone number I had no way to test it. Regardless, I am probably going to sign up for phonegnomes Reachbeyond service, as it appears that I can add any number to it even if it is mobile.

Edit: it excludes Dutch mobiles on second glance :( .

I guess I am sticking to the built in VOIP client in my N80 and relying on my local wi-fi :( .
I am curious, do Dutch Mobile numbers carry a special area code that sets them apart from landlines? That's the only way PhoneGnome would know the difference...

Where are you registering from (where are you geographically), I know that to get a UK number registered I had to get myself a working UK proxy (so maybe it's not going through because you need a Dutch Proxy, if it is giving you the choice of registering just for web or registering with device, during signup process, it's most likely the fact you are registering a Dutch Number, not having the correct IP range for that location)

Anyways keep in mind, even if you do get things working, you cannot use your cell/landline to place calls through PhoneGnome. You gotta either use their website, or a Device that's registered. You can however receive calls on your cell/landline, when others from PhoneGnome, (or the Workaround) call you.

Anyways keep me updated how things go, I am interested how it turns out?

This is what I used for proxies http://www.samair.ru/proxy/type-01.htm
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
2340 posts
25 upvotes
emoci wrote: I am curious, do Dutch Mobile numbers carry a special area code that sets them apart from landlines? That's the only way PhoneGnome would know the difference...

Where are you registering from (where are you geographically), I know that to get a UK number registered I had to get myself a working UK proxy (so maybe it's not going through because you need a Dutch Proxy, if it is giving you the choice of registering just for web or registering with device, during signup process, it's most likely the fact you are registering a Dutch Number, not having the correct IP range for that location)

Anyways keep in mind, even if you do get things working, you cannot use your cell/landline to place calls through PhoneGnome. You gotta either use their website, or a Device that's registered. You can however receive calls on your cell/landline, when others from PhoneGnome, (or the Workaround) call you.

Anyways keep me updated how things go, I am interested how it turns out?

This is what I used for proxies http://www.samair.ru/proxy/type-01.htm

Yeah, I was using a Dutch proxy to get an ip address. All dutch mobiles numbers have 6 as a prefix. I just made one up using the syntax on wikipedia and it took. I have got all of my regular people I talk to all signed up on phonegnome. The more important thing for me is to have them call me from a local number in Canada and get patched through to me. I have been a little disapointed in VOIP quality, but I imagine that I will probably have a pretty good DSL connection when I am over there, so I will probably be set and I can just use my N80 voip.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
abu_sme wrote: Yeah, I was using a Dutch proxy to get an ip address. All dutch mobiles numbers have 6 as a prefix. I just made one up using the syntax on wikipedia and it took. I have got all of my regular people I talk to all signed up on phonegnome. The more important thing for me is to have them call me from a local number in Canada and get patched through to me. I have been a little disapointed in VOIP quality, but I imagine that I will probably have a pretty good DSL connection when I am over there, so I will probably be set and I can just use my N80 voip.
Hey, if you can read this, these guys supposedly offer free Dutch numbers. It may be a neat way to test. Problem is I can't exactly make out the site so I am not sure

http://www.3starsnet.com/index.php/voip/nl/

Correction, Belgian Numbers, so that may not be of any help
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Apr 8, 2007
705 posts
141 upvotes
tried icall.
it did not work out....