Computers & Electronics

Free DID Numbers, Free Voip Calls, & more Voip Info

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2016 6:42 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
User avatar
Feb 4, 2002
4070 posts
101 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
emoci wrote: ........

Wow, I just wanted to thank you for all your help and sharing all your VOIP expertise with us. You have been doing it for a long time and I'm sure the rest of the RFD community is just as grateful! :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
sjweyman wrote: Very interesting. I may just end up doing this! I'll probably wait until the snow goes away though and I'll probably have questions when I attempt it. Unfortunately my second line is not active (i.e no phone or dial tone). I remember when I did have both a phone and a dial tone I needed to use some sort of decoder device for every jack that a telephone was plugged into. Is this normal? I thought that meant I had only one line somehow and that the decoder device was used to filter out the telephone signal from the DSL signal ... but according to what you say there is always 2 lines.

Have you heard of this before and will it be a problem or is it just the normal setup?

The fact you were using a "filter" is not an issue. DSL and an active phoneline can be delivered over a single line (2 copper wires). In fact the telco prefers to do it this way since by having an active phone line they don't have to worry about powering the copper.

The filter is simply there to prevent noise from voice conversations from interfering with the modem sync.

This does not change the fact that there is a second line available. It was emply back when you had DSL+Phone and it is empty now.

The only hurdle is identifying which line (two wires) are delivering the DSL... (if there was a phone line you could listen for a tone).

In this case you'll have to disconnect Blue-Green, if your internet goes out that's the line that should remain connected to the telco wires at the demarc.

Otherwise try Yellow-Black and see what happens.

So instead of listening for a tone, to identify the line, you'll check which one kills your internet when disoconnected... :razz:
Feedback:
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
pacman99 wrote: Where can I get the SIP details for $56.50? Is there some link I can follow to do that? I was looking at the FAQ and it says it would cost $99. If I can grab the SIP details for the price you've mentioned I'll probably end up putting in the order now.

Here's what the FAQ says:



Also, how does this advertising work on my own SIP client?
Call one of the numbers here http://freephoneline.ca/orderService .
They'll take a while to process your CC and send you the SIP Details...
There is no advertising when using your own SIP Client (the reason you pay the $56.59)
Feedback:
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Dec 31, 1969
Acanac customers who already have DSL can include VOIP
for $9.95 month with free softphone software http://www.callnigeriaonline.com/images/xlite1.JPG for use with a headset
or buy a VOIP ATA http://www.frontierpc.com/ProductDet...x?eId=11894311
for use with a regular phone. If you have no phone service, I assume
you are on dryloop instead of a phone line and you are paying for DSL
plus dry loop at $8 month already. You can add VOIP with that and
be assigned a new number for calls, but not transfer over any old number.
Both soft phone or ATA have identical features http://acanac.ca/Features.htm .
Service is only for Ontario and Quebec.
Here is the link for international rates http://acanac.ca/Phone_rates.htm .

Useful information to know when deciding to use softphone or voip ata:
a) softphone -- computer has to be on to use softphone and the face of the phone will light up and
rings will be heard with speakers with incoming calls; if computer is off, calls go to voicemail
b) ata -- use with regular phone which rings even with computer off; has voicemail.

Imelda O. Suzara
Acanac Rep
loudsubz wrote: Im new to voip scene and want to get my feet wet.

Right now I don't have any phone service at all, and was wondering if any of these services would apply to me, or if I have to sign up with something different?

I am going to buy a linksys PAP2 adapter, so from there I just need a service that will provide me with a GTA area code phone number, and allow others to call me with that number.

I am using acanac DSl right now.

afre most of these services only useful if I already have a phone line and simply want to forward LD calls to save money?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 24, 2004
4841 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
does anyone know of Acanac 1-year trial VoIP will be coming up again?
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Feedback: HoFo | eBay | Heatware
Dec 31, 1969
Have you tried Skype which can work with some mobile phones
but with iPhone you can get a special access number to call phones
at special rates, or use a voip phone with your Acanac voip.
Read http://support.skype.com/en_US/faq/FA15 ... -my-iPhone

Imelda O. Suzara
Acanac Rep
Hybrid88 wrote: Emoci

Any way to get my iphone 3g to connect to my Acanac voip service? Tried a few things without success.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
TotalDistinction wrote: What are the opinions for using voip.ms that rents Canadian DIDs at $2/month with outbound Canadian rates as low as $0.0049 and U.S for $0.0105 on paygo? Inbound paygo is $0.0105 NA wide.


Voip.ms has good reviews and some great features...

That said the $2/month DIDs do not include unlimited incoming calls. You are charged at 1.49 cents/min for incoming calls and the rates as you mentioned above for outgoing...
Feedback:
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 27, 2005
692 posts
110 upvotes
Alliston, Ontario
My apologies it this has been asked previously but I've attempted to read all the threads and I'm going dizzy.

All I want to know if there's a company out there that provides LOCAL (GTA) DID numbers that would allow me to forward to any sip provider or telephone number that I desire? I'm not expecting this to be free (although free is good).
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
TotalDistinction wrote: My apologies it this has been asked previously but I've attempted to read all the threads and I'm going dizzy.

All I want to know if there's a company out there that provides LOCAL (GTA) DID numbers that would allow me to forward to any sip provider or telephone number that I desire? I'm not expecting this to be free (although free is good).
Voip.ms

Pros
-Can forward to SIP URI
-Can forward to regular phone numbers

Cons
-You pay for incoming calls (or you pay around $9/month to have incoming calls included)

VBuzzer

Pros
-Can forward to regular numbers (can do both call forward and call forking)
-Numbers are cheap
-Unlimited Incoming

Cons
-Does not support SIP Forwarding through their own website (but it can be done by using PBXes -free version- in the middle)
-You have to buy the numbers for a full year at $25/year


CallCentric

Pros
-Has numbers with unlimited incoming calls (price per month is higher than VBuzzer but lower than Voip.ms at around $6 )
-Has support for forwarding to SIP URI
-Has support for forwarding to regular phone numbers

Cons
-There really isn't any short of being a bit more expensive than VBuzzer ...

CallWithUs

Offer exactly the same features as CallCentric for similar pricing ... CallCentric is a bit more refined, but CallWithUs has some neat features for the Do-It-Yourself Group if you expect to use it formore than just Call Forwarding.

FreePhoneLine

For Free:
-Pick a number in ON/QC and can have calls forward to any other Canadian Number

Pay a one time $56.50 (they have a Free Number for one-time fee clause)
-Once you pay this you can use a middleman like PBXes to forward to SIP URI



From a customer support perspective:

-Voip.ms and CallCentric are top
-CallWithUs is next
-Vbuzzer and FreePhoneLine further down

In regards to ability to port numbers in and out:

-Voip.ms and CallCentric have support and a procedure in place to deal with it
-CallWithUs has support but you'll have to get in touch with via email
-FreePhoneLine has at least support for porting in (you'll need to call them....and they take long to do things)
-VBuzzer has no support for porting
Feedback:
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 27, 2005
692 posts
110 upvotes
Alliston, Ontario
emoci wrote: Voip.ms

Pros
-Can forward to SIP URI
-Can forward to regular phone numbers

Cons
-You pay for incoming calls (or you pay around $9/month to have incoming calls included)

VBuzzer

Pros
-Can forward to regular numbers (can do both call forward and call forking)
-Numbers are cheap
-Unlimited Incoming

Cons
-Does not support SIP Forwarding through their own website (but it can be done by using PBXes -free version- in the middle)
-You have to buy the numbers for a full year at $25/year


CallCentric

Pros
-Has numbers with unlimited incoming calls (price per month is higher than VBuzzer but lower than Voip.ms at around $6 )
-Has support for forwarding to SIP URI
-Has support for forwarding to regular phone numbers

Cons
-There really isn't any short of being a bit more expensive than VBuzzer ...

CallWithUs

Offer exactly the same features as CallCentric for similar pricing ... CallCentric is a bit more refined, but CallWithUs has some neat features for the Do-It-Yourself Group if you expect to use it formore than just Call Forwarding.

FreePhoneLine

For Free:
-Pick a number in ON/QC and can have calls forward to any other Canadian Number

Pay a one time $56.50 (they have a Free Number for one-time fee clause)
-Once you pay this you can use a middleman like PBXes to forward to SIP URI



From a customer support perspective:

-Voip.ms and CallCentric are top
-CallWithUs is next
-Vbuzzer and FreePhoneLine further down

In regards to ability to port numbers in and out:

-Voip.ms and CallCentric have support and a procedure in place to deal with it
-CallWithUs has support but you'll have to get in touch with via email
-FreePhoneLine has at least support for porting in (you'll need to call them....and they take long to do things)
-VBuzzer has no support for porting
emoci, you're a friggin machine!!!! Thanks for taking the time to construct this reply. I REALLY do appreciate your insight.

Thanks
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
49 upvotes
TotalDistinction wrote: emoci, you're a friggin machine!!!! Thanks for taking the time to construct this reply. I REALLY do appreciate your insight.

Thanks
Oh Yaa. He is great help.

Thanks emoci for all that info you dig up.
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Voip.ms sent an email today...they have a new termination provider...as a result most Canadian incoming numbers are now $4.95 instead of $8.95


They are not the cheapest ...but they are now on par with CallCentric for DID pricing
Feedback:
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 27, 2005
692 posts
110 upvotes
Alliston, Ontario
emoci wrote: Voip.ms sent an email today...they have a new termination provider...as a result most Canadian incoming numbers are now $4.95 instead of $8.95


They are not the cheapest ...but they are now on par with CallCentric for DID pricing
This is great news and timing. I've just sent them an email asking if they would be able to port my current Vonage number over to them at the same $4.95 rate? I'm anxiously awaiting their response.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 27, 2005
692 posts
110 upvotes
Alliston, Ontario
TotalDistinction wrote: This is great news and timing. I've just sent them an email asking if they would be able to port my current Vonage number over to them at the same $4.95 rate? I'm anxiously awaiting their response.
So I've started the LNP process to port my number from Vonage to voip.ms. This is the process I was going to take for the cheapest rates (i.e. free) and ease of administration:

1. Purchase an unlocked ATA (e.g. PAP2). Approximetly $65-$90.
2. Pay $15/annually for Voxalot (Voxlite) to manage my VOIP providers and support one SIP registration which I will need to support incoming calls.
3. Pay $56.50 for the SIP details from freephoneline.ca so that I can get outgoing calls to major Canadian centers for free. Input these details with Voxalot.

The idea is that my incoming calls will be cheap from voip.ms ($4.95 DID monthly fee / 3000 incoming minutes included) and I would configure Voxalot for free outgoing calls to Canada using the SIP URI for freephoneline.ca. For U.S. and unsupported Canadian destinations, I'm hoping that I can configure Voxalot to continue using voip.ms for their 1.05

Top