Computers & Electronics

Free DID Numbers, Free Voip Calls, & more Voip Info

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2016 6:42 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
[quote="TotalDistinction" post_id="9072785" time="1247659204" user_id="36839"]

1. Purchase an unlocked ATA (e.g. PAP2). Approximetly $65-$90.
-This sounds good.
2. Pay $15/annually for Voxalot (Voxlite) to manage my VOIP providers and support one SIP registration which I will need to support incoming calls.
-Fine, but start with the Free Acct. Don't pay right away (remember Voip.ms has SIP URI support...you may not even need a registration)
3. Pay $56.50 for the SIP details from freephoneline.ca so that I can get outgoing calls to major Canadian centers for free. Input these details with Voxalot.
-Question to you..how many calls to US/Canada do you think you'll make monthly? I am not against buying the $56.50 SIP Details to get use of a number...but doing it for the Free Calls maybe moot.

The idea is that my incoming calls will be cheap from voip.ms ($4.95 DID monthly fee / 3000 incoming minutes included) and I would configure Voxalot for free outgoing calls to Canada using the SIP URI for freephoneline.ca. For U.S. and unsupported Canadian destinations, I'm hoping that I can configure Voxalot to continue using voip.ms for their 1.05
Feedback:
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 27, 2005
692 posts
110 upvotes
Alliston, Ontario
^^^^^^
Well, if FPL doesn't support CID spoofing, then I will just stick with the low cost rates with voip.ms. With members of my family also having their own cell phones, we really only use about 600 minutes of local voip calling a month which translates into about $6 or cheaper/month at voip.ms rates.

Given that FPL would be out of the picture in my scenario, what would be the value to using the free basic Voxalot account? I need support for incoming calls which requires a SIP registration that the free basic Voxalot account doesn't support. I'm not quite understanding the statement in #2 "remember Voip.ms has SIP URI support...you may not even need a registration". What exactly does that mean?
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
TotalDistinction wrote: ^^^^^^
Well, if FPL doesn't support CID spoofing, then I will just stick with the low cost rates with voip.ms. With members of my family also having their own cell phones, we really only use about 600 minutes of local voip calling a month which translates into about $6 or cheaper/month at voip.ms rates.

Given that FPL would be out of the picture in my scenario, what would be the value to using the free basic Voxalot account? I need support for incoming calls which requires a SIP registration that the free basic Voxalot account doesn't support. I'm not quite understanding the statement in #2 "remember Voip.ms has SIP URI support...you may not even need a registration". What exactly does that mean?

-The Free VoXalot acct. supports a SIP Registration such that you can register the VoXalot acct. on your ATA
-What Premium ($15) gets you is the ability for VoXalot to act as a Proxy ATA, and have Voip.ms for example register at VoXalot which can then in turn pass calls to your ATA ($25 for example can let you have 5 different such numbers ring to the same place)
-However if calls come via SIP to your VoXalot acct. (to for example 123456@voxalot.com it'll handle those calls be it a free or paid acct.)
-The good news is that Voip.ms can do just that, forward calls to any SIP URI you wish...as a result you don't really need to SIP Register Voip.ms at VoXalot
-The other benefit that be it a Free or Premium VoX acct. gives you is that as you figure out your needs you can change the providers that handle your outgoing calls to various destinations without having to re-adjust your ATA every time (if you're a someone that likes to test various things like me :) you can have 10 different outgoing providers setup in an account handling various calls...)


Reasons why you may want to upgrade your VoXalot acct. down the road:
-You come accross a DID number somewhere else in the world that you'd like to ring to the same line...and the provider doesn't support SIP URI Forwarding
-You want to make use of VoXalot's VM on the Web feature (whereas VM works for all accts, only premium accts can see a list of all your VMs and listen to them directly on the web)
-You want to do call forwarding based on caller for another provider except Voip.ms (Voip.ms has a pretty good setup on their own...but some other providers don't)

A little more, If you really wanted to take this further:
-Assuming you've set up your VoXalot acct., have it on your ATA and are calling out
-Buy the 56.50 from FPL
-Set the DID up in PBXes.com pointing to a call thru gateway
-Setting your VoXalot acct as an outgoing trunk
-Now all the calls you can make from your Voip line would also be available to everyone on their cellphones (they call your very own CallThru Access Number and dial)
Feedback:
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 27, 2005
692 posts
110 upvotes
Alliston, Ontario
<the light bulb comes on>

I get it now. I would forward any calls to voip.ms to Voxalot using their SIP URI since voip.ms supports that. I don't need to do any SIP registering at all as I believed I needed the Voxalot Premium services for.

I looked at PBXes.com and it seems intimidatingly complex to me. I didn't even know where to start to get going. I think I'll "crawl" with Voxalot before I start to "walk" with PBXes.com.

Thank you emoci for your help. You likely saved me some money that I thought I would have had to spend with Voxalot premium services.
Member
User avatar
Jan 26, 2009
420 posts
204 upvotes
I am ready to test VOIP but was wondering , For Freephoneline you can only pay through credit? Can you pay your 50 dollars plus 50 for the config file at registration? what are payment options?
thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
ChampUz wrote: I am ready to test VOIP but was wondering , For Freephoneline you can only pay through credit? Can you pay your 50 dollars plus 50 for the config file at registration? what are payment options?
thanks
-You can only pay by Credit
-You have to call them to pay after you've signed up for a free acct.
-I'd suggest buying just the config for $50 + tax whereas you can get an ATA elsewhere if you wanted to...
Feedback:
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 27, 2005
692 posts
110 upvotes
Alliston, Ontario
emoci wrote: A little more, If you really wanted to take this further:
-Assuming you've set up your VoXalot acct., have it on your ATA and are calling out
-Buy the 56.50 from FPL
-Set the DID up in PBXes.com pointing to a call thru gateway
-Setting your VoXalot acct as an outgoing trunk
-Now all the calls you can make from your Voip line would also be available to everyone on their cellphones (they call your very own CallThru Access Number and dial)
I just wanted to report back that everything is working wonderfully with Voxalot. So much so, that I got bored once everything was setup and decided to take a look at PBXes.com. I got a DID from voip.ms for $2/month to play with and after reading many of emoci's guides and trial and error on PBXes.com, I've been able to get quite granular with my setup if I so choose.

I've gotten callthru to work with my DID and pin number. I can also direct to whatever LD provide I want with dialplans beginning with "8" or "9" depending on the provider I want to use. PBXes.com is quite powerful.

A combination of Voxalot and PBXes.com seems to be the best combination thus far. Admittedly, my needs are modest but I'm starting to get addicted to this stuff fine tuning everything to save that last penny. :)

I wonder what's more there is to discover. Emoci, my wallet thanks you.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 27, 2005
692 posts
110 upvotes
Alliston, Ontario
Is there any reason not to use PBXes.com exclusively over Voxalot? PBXes.com appears to more powerful at the expense of slightly more complexity over Voxalot.

I haven't tried the VM features and I still need to play with CID configs with PBXes but otherwise it seems to do everything.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
TotalDistinction wrote: Is there any reason not to use PBXes.com exclusively over Voxalot? PBXes.com appears to more powerful at the expense of slightly more complexity over Voxalot.

I haven't tried the VM features and I still need to play with CID configs with PBXes but otherwise it seems to do everything.
From a dial plan managment perspective...VoXalot is more user friendly...

The Free Acct. at PBXes has certain limitations:
-5 Extensions (admittedly VoXalot doesn't offer any at all)
-Maximum 5 trunks (trunks are providers) (In VoXalot you can have unlimited providers setup even in the free acct.)
-2000 min usage/month (no time limits on VoXalot)
-VoXalot offers the opportunity to adjust your preferred codecs whereas PBXes doesn't

My personal preference:
-Use VoXalot as the place to setup all your providers and outgoing dial plans
-Now add VoXalot as one of the trunks in PBXes (hence having access to all the providers you setup in VoXalot from PBXes)
-Since you only have a free VoXalot acct., you can use the remaining 3-4 free trunks in PBXes to register any providers that don't support SIP Forwarding and have them ring anywhere you wish (think some of the Free DID offerings from the first post)
-You can do CallThru with PBXes (provided you won't be talking more than 1000 min/month --each callthru call counts for double time --)
-One other thing you can do with PBXes is that you can have a DID be used for multiple purposes (eg. when your cellphones call it, it acts as callthru gateway whereas when anyone else calls it rings your ATA).

For the record I find myself using the CallThru via PBXes to access my VoXalot quite often ...the audio quality with CallThru is sometimes better being that the VoXalot and PBXes server can connect to each other using large backbone links without being affected by my home Internet Connection...

Other players to bring into play later:
-LiberaIlVoip for CallBack (there is a guide on how to setup)
-MySipSwitch (you can't make new accts in MSS for now, since it is being re-released as SipSorcery.com)
TotalDistinction wrote:
I wonder what's more there is to discover. Emoci, my wallet thanks you.
Be careful :) ... get to much into this stuff and you'll feel like an RFDer after having shopped using the Hot Deals section (Too many good deals can still hit your wallet pretty hard :cheesygri )
Feedback:
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 27, 2005
692 posts
110 upvotes
Alliston, Ontario
The majority of our calls will be within Canada with very few to the U.S. and less than 1000 minutes/month combined. If there was a way to CID spoof freephoneline.ca (FPL), I would be all over it. I just don't want family/friends to see a CID they don't recognize as coming from us or change our number all over again.

It's my understanding that the free services like voipstunt.com limit your phone calls to 30 minutes. That's a "no go" for me since I need my solution to be as transparent as possible for my entire family. I don't want wifey to be on a phone call and then it gets cut off after 30 minutes.

So, for "production/home" use, I will likely stick with Voxalot and voip.ms as my main VOIP provider. Voip.ms' rates are still very cheap and I will still save money over what I have right now with Vonage.

As I have an interest in voip technologies, I will likely keep my $2/month DID for testing and playing around with alternative solutions. Maybe, I'll discover something that will satisfy my end goals (full CID spoofing and free unlimited phone calls in NA) that I can then migrate for full-time family use.


P.S. It's too bad that this thread is under "Expired Offers/Expired Freebies"? With the amount of valuable information in this thread, it should be moved to a more appropriate forum.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
TotalDistinction wrote: The majority of our calls will be within Canada with very few to the U.S. and less than 1000 minutes/month combined. If there was a way to CID spoof freephoneline.ca (FPL), I would be all over it. I just don't want family/friends to see a CID they don't recognize as coming from us or change our number all over again.

It's my understanding that the free services like voipstunt.com limit your phone calls to 30 minutes. That's a "no go" for me since I need my solution to be as transparent as possible for my entire family. I don't want wifey to be on a phone call and then it gets cut off after 30 minutes.

So, for "production/home" use, I will likely stick with Voxalot and voip.ms as my main VOIP provider. Voip.ms' rates are still very cheap and I will still save money over what I have right now with Vonage.

As I have an interest in voip technologies, I will likely keep my $2/month DID for testing and playing around with alternative solutions. Maybe, I'll discover something that will satisfy my end goals (full CID spoofing and free unlimited phone calls in NA) that I can then migrate for full-time family use.


P.S. It's too bad that this thread is under "Expired Offers/Expired Freebies"? With the amount of valuable information in this thread, it should be moved to a more appropriate forum.
Providers to consider down the road:
-CallWithUs
-Future-Nine
-Localphone
-CallCentric

The other thing is that it is true you cannot have FPL spoof the DID but you can set it up such that if anyone was to ever call back on that DID it would ring the main VoIP line anyways....
Feedback:
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 27, 2005
692 posts
110 upvotes
Alliston, Ontario
emoci wrote: The other thing is that it is true you cannot have FPL spoof the DID but you can set it up such that if anyone was to ever call back on that DID it would ring the main VoIP line anyways....
emoci, would you expand on this thought so that I can better follow please? In respect of your time, I just need some direction on your thought process. I could probably figure out the actual details after that.

In view of my CID requirements, the way I'm understanding your statement is that I would forward my FPL DID to Voxalot or PBXes.com. From there, could I dial out and maintain my source CID from cell/home/etc. (not FPL's)?

I guess I'm having a mental block getting over the whole outgoing CID thing.


EDIT: After reading your reply multiple times, I think I understand you now. If I understand, you're saying that even if my call recipients see the FPL CID and return that phone call, it will reach me on my main VOIP line anyway. Thinking of my mom calling me from Montreal -> Brampton, if she sees my FPL CID, she won't pick up the phone because she won't recognize the FPL CID. She will only give "priority" acknowledgment to the numbers that we have programmed in her phone such as my main home number. (Yeah, I know...but it's my reality and perhaps with a few others).
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
TotalDistinction wrote:

EDIT: After reading your reply multiple times, I think I understand you now. If I understand, you're saying that even if my call recipients see the FPL CID and return that phone call, it will reach me on my main VOIP line anyway. Thinking of my mom calling me from Montreal -> Brampton, if she sees my FPL CID, she won't pick up the phone because she won't recognize the FPL CID. She will only give "priority" acknowledgment to the numbers that we have programmed in her phone such as my main home number. (Yeah, I know...but it's my reality and perhaps with a few others).

That's right...

If CID is important to you... I know of only a few providers that support setting your own CID:
-Voip.ms
-CallWithUs
-Of course BetaMax but you already mentioned their limitations
Feedback:
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 27, 2005
692 posts
110 upvotes
Alliston, Ontario
When I think about it, what I really should have done to support my callerID needs and free phone calls in Canada was to port my number to freephoneline.ca (FPL), buy the config from them which would have satisfied 95% of my needs. For the remaining 5% use any voip provider with cheap rates that would satisfy my needs.

Once my initial port is done, I may wait for the dust to settle and port again to FPL. I'll see...
Newbie
Sep 20, 2005
10 posts
Hi, eMoci,

I found a notice in my Tpad account saying that they began to charge $6.99/month for the break in number starting from this month.

I guess they mean the inbound calling from PSTN.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)