Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
abu_sme wrote: I have a crap connection that won't work with any VOIP providers at the moment (Shaw Extreme!). If I had a good connection, how is the sound quality? I am noticing when I do a tracert it goes all the way to the UK for the Sip server. Regardless I am in europe so it won't matter.
Well, depends on what we are talking about.....

The receiving calls via PhoneGnome thing, is not dependent on your home connection at all. It depends on where you do the rerouting (your options are VoXalot, GTalk2Voip, PBXes), and personally I think VoXalot has the better quality, the other two are a bit of a hit and miss, and also vary with time of day...
It also depends where the server handling the access number you are using is located (not as sure about this, but in some cases, depending on how the call is handled by that server)

If you want to be able to call your folks at home using a VoIP connection or ringing them on TPad, your issues with shaw come into play. The thing is SHAW Extreme is supposed to have speeds to handle a VoIP call no problem, unless they are filtering traffic :evil: , which well is unfortunately becoming common...

BTW, PBXes (and soon VoXalot too), allows a setup that would let you dial a local number, and then be able to use the VoIP provider of your choice to make a call.....so literally if they are PhoneGnome members you can call them from a local number in Europe, without having to make use of your wifi, for free. When I get sometime I'll write a quick guide this week on what to do....
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
2340 posts
25 upvotes
emoci wrote: Well, depends on what we are talking about.....

The receiving calls via PhoneGnome thing, is not dependent on your home connection at all. It depends on where you do the rerouting (your options are VoXalot, GTalk2Voip, PBXes), and personally I think VoXalot has the better quality, the other two are a bit of a hit and miss, and also vary with time of day...
It also depends where the server handling the access number you are using is located (not as sure about this, but in some cases, depending on how the call is handled by that server)

If you want to be able to call your folks at home using a VoIP connection or ringing them on TPad, your issues with shaw come into play. The thing is SHAW Extreme is supposed to have speeds to handle a VoIP call no problem, unless they are filtering traffic :evil: , which well is unfortunately becoming common...

BTW, PBXes (and soon VoXalot too), allows a setup that would let you dial a local number, and then be able to use the VoIP provider of your choice to make a call.....so literally if they are PhoneGnome members you can call them from a local number in Europe, without having to make use of your wifi, for free. When I get sometime I'll write a quick guide this week on what to do....

I realize this, but the real complication comes from when you use a cell phone in a Calling Party Pays country. If my friends want to call me from Canada on my mobile overseas it will cost them about .25 a minute. The real true unlimited will be when I can make mobile calls for cheap. Regardless, the fact of the matter is that I can find a suitable voip provider.

Oddly enough, up until last summer I got great voip call quality; however, like someone was flipping a switch, I got un-usable call quality immediately. Coincidentally I got a notice in my email box informing me that Shaw home phone was available in my area. I can upload up to full bandwidth, and I can download to full bandwidth, my node is not congested, I can game with ping times that are very low, and yet, if I try to use any VOIP service I get terrible quality.

I have made a work around for it, by having my PAP2 hooked up through a VPN in Seattle, and it works FLAWLESSLY. I am on my last month with Shaw, as they are the worst ISP in this country bar none.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
abu_sme wrote: I realize this, but the real complication comes from when you use a cell phone in a Calling Party Pays country. If my friends want to call me from Canada on my mobile overseas it will cost them about .25 a minute. The real true unlimited will be when I can make mobile calls for cheap. Regardless, the fact of the matter is that I can find a suitable voip provider.

Oddly enough, up until last summer I got great voip call quality; however, like someone was flipping a switch, I got un-usable call quality immediately. Coincidentally I got a notice in my email box informing me that Shaw home phone was available in my area. I can upload up to full bandwidth, and I can download to full bandwidth, my node is not congested, I can game with ping times that are very low, and yet, if I try to use any VOIP service I get terrible quality.

I have made a work around for it, by having my PAP2 hooked up through a VPN in Seattle, and it works FLAWLESSLY. I am on my last month with Shaw, as they are the worst ISP in this country bar none.
This is what I would do in your situation:

About Incoming Calls:

True, chances are you won't be able to register with a mobile number for PhoneGnome, unless of course you have a VoIP capable mobile, and you can use Wifi to receive calls routed through VoIP.

-Get yourself a cheap canadian DID Number and give that out (eg VBuzzer $2.28/month or anything else)
or
-Give out Access Number + VoXalot Number or Access Number + GTalk2Voip Number etc.
-Get a VoXalot Lite Account after the 16th ($15/year)
-Or better yet, if you still have time before you leave, test the call quality, with PBXes or GTalk2Voip, and see what you think.
3. Register the DID number in VoXalot/PBXes/GTalk2Voip (whatever you decide to use)
4. Once you get where you are going and get set up with a Number (either Landline or VoIP), go through the PhoneGnome registration, and set up with one of the three choices (VoXalot/PBXes/GTalk2Voip)
5. At this point anyone from Canada either calls the local DID number, or Local Access Number + VoXalot number to call you

About Making Calls

1. Get most family you plan on calling set up on PhoneGnome
2. Find a Voip Provider with good rates to Canada
3. Set Up a calling out line on PBXes (I'll be posting a guide on how to, have tried with three different calls so far, voice quality has been rather good).
4. Set Up PhoneGnome along with that other Provider as trunks in PBXes.
5. Now you call SipBroker Access Number + VoXalot Number (a free account will do for this)+PIN you chose + and you get a line out at the PhoneGnome/Voip Provider rate.
6. Two problems to solve now:
-Is there a local SipBroker Access Number where you are going?
-How much will it cost you to call from Phone/CellPhone to Local Access Number in the country you are going to?

All that said, unfortunately, all of the above depend on:
-PhoneGnome continuing to provide free calling between members
-Being in a country supported by PhoneGnome
-SipBroker continuing to have local access number where you are going
-Servers at VoXalot/PBXes/GTalk2Voip being operational
-Whether you are willing to pay for VoXalot & did Number, are happy with voice quality etc.

Hope that helps.... :)
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
2340 posts
25 upvotes
emoci wrote: This is what I would do in your situation:

About Incoming Calls:

True, chances are you won't be able to register with a mobile number for PhoneGnome, unless of course you have a VoIP capable mobile, and you can use Wifi to receive calls routed through VoIP.

-Get yourself a cheap canadian DID Number and give that out (eg VBuzzer $2.28/month or anything else)
or
-Give out Access Number + VoXalot Number or Access Number + GTalk2Voip Number etc.
-Get a VoXalot Lite Account after the 16th ($15/year)
-Or better yet, if you still have time before you leave, test the call quality, with PBXes or GTalk2Voip, and see what you think.
3. Register the DID number in VoXalot/PBXes/GTalk2Voip (whatever you decide to use)
4. Once you get where you are going and get set up with a Number (either Landline or VoIP), go through the PhoneGnome registration, and set up with one of the three choices (VoXalot/PBXes/GTalk2Voip)
5. At this point anyone from Canada either calls the local DID number, or Local Access Number + VoXalot number to call you

About Making Calls

1. Get most family you plan on calling set up on PhoneGnome
2. Find a Voip Provider with good rates to Canada
3. Set Up a calling out line on PBXes (I'll be posting a guide on how to, have tried with three different calls so far, voice quality has been rather good).
4. Set Up PhoneGnome along with that other Provider as trunks in PBXes.
5. Now you call SipBroker Access Number + VoXalot Number (a free account will do for this)+PIN you chose + and you get a line out at the PhoneGnome/Voip Provider rate.
6. Two problems to solve now:
-Is there a local SipBroker Access Number where you are going?
-How much will it cost you to call from Phone/CellPhone to Local Access Number in the country you are going to?

All that said, unfortunately, all of the above depend on:
-PhoneGnome continuing to provide free calling between members
-Being in a country supported by PhoneGnome
-SipBroker continuing to have local access number where you are going
-Servers at VoXalot/PBXes/GTalk2Voip being operational
-Whether you are willing to pay for VoXalot & did Number, are happy with voice quality etc.

Hope that helps.... :)

It does help. I have already gotten most of my family set up on phonegnome, it is amazing how it has turned all calls local. It is a lot like having a family plan on steroids with phone gnome, it simply rocks.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1425 posts
180 upvotes
I signed up for the internetcalls.com and it sent me an email that says it is only 1 min per call. Has anyone used this service?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
a_1_a wrote: I signed up for the internetcalls.com and it sent me an email that says it is only 1 min per call. Has anyone used this service?
internetcalls.comis part of the BetaMax companies.

You pay to add some credit.

Now for the next 120 days you can call the free destinations for no charge. You can only use max 300 minutes a week though for free calls.

That credit still stays in your aco**** and gets used only if you call countries not in the free list, or go over your weekly 300 limit.

They can limit the length of your calls at will....not to clear from the site, and I haven't tried them before. Unless you have already paid, find something else...

If you have paid examine your Credit Card statement closely for the next little while....
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Jul 7, 2006
212 posts
26 upvotes
Keep your money. I heard that Betamax changes their "free" destinations on a weekly basis.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Rearranged things, and added a way to make calls from Home/Cell using a Voip Provider
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Jan 15, 2006
179 posts
124 upvotes
I think this post really needs to be sticky. Don't you?
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11014 posts
1403 upvotes
Brampton
Which service allows you to use a regular phone handset ?? & make FREE calls to Europe??

Little confusing with so many to choose from...
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
2197 posts
So is there a service here to allows me to:

Call from my computer using my internet, to a physical phone in the US for free?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
patrob wrote: Which service allows you to use a regular phone handset ?? & make FREE calls to Europe??

Little confusing with so many to choose from...
None of the ones mentioned here are very easy to be used with a regular handset....unless you buy some sort of a USB Phone Adapter that can take over the role of the Mic/Headset and transfer it to a phone.

How to call Europe for free:

Use one of the services that let you call US/CANADA for free (probably Eartcaller better than ICall in this case). If you have paid for Skype US/CANADA that would work too.

Dial 218-936-6410
When prompted for Code enter 1550#
Then enter 011-Country Code-City Code-Number
For places you can call, see www.yak4ever.com

If you really want to use your normal phone try the Jaduka/Yak4Ever Combo. You need to create a new Jaduka Account for every 1hour of talk (they give you a 1-800 number plus extension to use)
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11014 posts
1403 upvotes
Brampton
emoci wrote: Dial 218-936-6410
When prompted for Code enter 1550#
Then enter 011-Country Code-City Code-Number
For places you can call, see www.yak4ever.com

If you really want to use your normal phone try the Jaduka/Yak4Ever Combo. You need to create a new Jaduka Account for every 1hour of talk (they give you a 1-800 number plus extension to use)
When I go to yak4ever to register, it asks for a US phone number?? Is that mean I can't sign up or do I put in the number you listed above :confused: Also will I be charged long dist. charges to call the 218-936-6410??

Also if I get the Jaduka free trial account to get 60 Free minutes...how do I make a new account...will I have to provide them with a new e-mail address plus phone # will be the same, so they will see I already had an acct. with them..... ?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)