• Jun 4th, 2020 1:11 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2004
1054 posts
947 upvotes
Vancouver
TomRFD wrote: I used Simple Tax for the past few years and had no idea they were sold. We all jumping ship now or what? Seems like Studio Tax is popular in this thread.
I was lucky many years ago found a similar discussion and started with StudioTax. I won't go back to anything else. I was working on my return the first time with the program and I got a question. I posted a note and they replied back, on Sunday! Highly recommended.
Mar 8, 2017
75 posts
82 upvotes
Ottawa
Not sure why people are freaking out about simpletax - the information is encrypted.
Dec 23, 2006
520 posts
158 upvotes
+1 for Studio Tax. I have been using it for >10 years. Works well for me, haven't used another tax filing software so can't compare.
Fido $40 5GB small + $15 4GB tablet data
PM $20 province wide talk
PM $10 50 min 50 txt
Dec 15, 2019
14 posts
15 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I have been using SimpleTax for the past few years. It's simple to use and is web-based. I have no idea they were sold though, and it looks like StudioTax is more popular here.
Jun 15, 2018
835 posts
341 upvotes
wranglery wrote: Am I correct that TurboTax, H&R Block, UFile, etc. and similar retail programs are only free if income is less than $20,000?
https://www.ufile.ca/tips-and-tools/file-for-free

Others like StudioTax do not have such restriction. But all software programs, free or not, limit 20 returns.
No idea on the limit but it's more than 20k thats for sure.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2004
1156 posts
491 upvotes
Frankly speaking I have no idea how this is a Hot Deal. It's more something that should be on the consumer info board.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2004
1054 posts
947 upvotes
Vancouver
grasshopper902 wrote: Never understood why anyone would shell out money for TurboTax when there's a free alternative.
There are many people who are not that familiar filing tax returns themselves. I remember I started with WinTax many years ago. The retail programs have handheld step by step Q&A guides to help people, either it's their first time or not, complete their returns. After a few years, I was comfortable to fill in the forms myself. Then I switched to the free StudioTax. So the retail programs do attract some people that are willing to pay every year.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
766 upvotes
centre of universe
SweetTato wrote: I have been using SimpleTax for the past few years. It's simple to use and is web-based. I have no idea they were sold though, and it looks like StudioTax is more popular here.
also note.
StudioTax 2019 is now available for download. This year CRA will start accepting 2019 returns on Monday February 24. As was the case in previous years, the certified version of StudioTax will be available a couple of days before the start of filing.
before you submit your returns make sure your software is updates with latest and then redo it.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2017
1003 posts
694 upvotes
Westmount, QC
I got the following email on Jan 9th describing the update of confidentiality

In French though for simpletax
.Nous avons mis à jour nos conditions d'utilisation et notre politique de confidentialité
Nous vous écrivons pour vous faire savoir que nous avons mis à jour nos conditions d'utilisation et notre politique de confidentialité, à partir d'aujourd'hui. Et bien que ceci ne s'agisse pas d'un courriel de nouvel an qui suscitera les plus grandes passions, nous prenons la protection de votre vie privée et de vos données très au sérieux.

La plus grande mise à jour est de notre politique de confidentialité et de la façon que nous utilisons les renseignements personnels que vous nous fournissez. Nous croyons que ce changement nous aidera à continuer de vous livrer les meilleurs produits et services. À compter de 2020, nous utiliserons vos données afin de :

Développer des aperçus analytiques pour nous aider à améliorer notre produit
Vous fournir des recommandations financières et d'autres mises à jour
Vous pouvez contrôler en tout temps l'accès d'ImpôtSimple à vos données. Il suffit d'ouvrir une session et d'aller à la page de votre compte en passant par la barre de menu située en haut de l'écran. Défilez vers le bas et sous « données », vous pouvez choisir les renseignements auxquels ImpôtSimple a accès lorsque vous n'êtes pas connecté.

Si vous avez des questions, répondez tout simplement à ce courriel ou joignez-nous en tout temps à bonjour@impotsimple.ca.

Comme toujours, merci d'avoir choisi ImpôtSimple et nous vous souhaitons une bonne saison d'impôt!

Vos amis d’ImpôtSimple & Wealthsimple
Last edited by husamus156 on Jan 28th, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
13626 posts
25837 upvotes
Scarborough
wranglery wrote: I was lucky many years ago found a similar discussion and started with StudioTax. I won't go back to anything else. I was working on my return the first time with the program and I got a question. I posted a note and they replied back, on Sunday! Highly recommended.
That's impressive. Think I'll give it a try this year.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Oct 30, 2012
218 posts
436 upvotes
Used Studiotax for years before switching to simpletax last year and it was a breath of fresh air how nice it is to use.

They're both great but I'll stick with simpletax until they start charging for it.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4087 posts
3325 upvotes
Toronto
While I've been happily using StudioTax for years, it's not as user-friendly as other tax software. It's great for people who have done taxes before or have a copy of last year's (done by another software or tax preparer) to compare, but if this is your first time preparing your own tax return and don't have a copy of previous years to compare, maybe try something like Simpletax first (then use Studiotax next year!).
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
1777 posts
3643 upvotes
If you’re filing your taxes with turbo tax and it says you have to pay to file, don’t do it. Just compete the full process and on the VERY LAST PAGE, there’s a link to click to review all the documents just before you submit.

That shows you each form, completely filled out with all of the correct information. Now with that open, you want to go to the IRS website and use one of their linked sites. Find each form that is on the turbo tax review page you have open, and match all of the fields. Then submit with the other site and exit turbo tax.

You’ve now filed your taxes for free!
https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/co ... turbo_tax/

Feeling tempted to try this method this year
Jul 29, 2016
126 posts
88 upvotes
I know nany people doing this way: Enter your data with fake SIN number into online app, have all your calculations done - reenter into a free software. Profit.