474 upvotes
Abbotsford BC
Studio for me aswell, they are great.
Koodo $40 6gb customer.
Jul 26, 2018
883 posts
1048 upvotes
Canada, eh?
SimpleTax allows you to opt-out of data collection IIRC after the T&C changes.

Actually miss SimpleTax after switching to Deloitte this year for taxes thanks to my 2019 changes being insanely complicated (multiple countries). I just spent over 2 hours filling out Deloitte's tax questionnaire. You just can't beat how 'Simple' SimpleTax actually is -- actually made me enjoy doing taxes before.
Sep 15, 2019
12 posts
9 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote: https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/co ... turbo_tax/

Feeling tempted to try this method this year
Thanks for this. I will try out the turbo tax free bypass. Also, before reading that thread I never thought to use different programs to see which one gives best return. This is my first time filing taxes myself, I will try out simpletax, studiotax and also turbotax to see which is the best return.
Also while I'm writing on here anyways, does anyone know if I need to claim the income insurance paid me after my car was written off? Thanks!
Sep 15, 2019
12 posts
9 upvotes
secretalcoholic wrote: SimpleTax allows you to opt-out of data collection IIRC after the T&C changes.

Actually miss SimpleTax after switching to Deloitte this year for taxes thanks to my 2019 changes being insanely complicated (multiple countries). I just spent over 2 hours filling out Deloitte's tax questionnaire. You just can't beat how 'Simple' SimpleTax actually is -- actually made me enjoy doing taxes before.
I was planning on using SimpleTax until I saw they made their changes, but after reading https://simpletax.ca/blog/2019/changes- ... ms-service I'm not worried about it anymore. Thanks for your post as well, I wouldn't have found that out.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3312 posts
1541 upvotes
I'm lazy so I just pay the $20 for Ufile. It's been good to me. But good on these options for people who need it
Dec 17, 2017
957 posts
1000 upvotes
So basically those who have been using simple tax like me need not fear about privacy and can continue to use it, and those who have been using studiotax will continue to use studiotax? That's what I got from reading the thread.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3185 posts
1875 upvotes
Kitchener
wranglery wrote: Am I correct that TurboTax, H&R Block, UFile, etc. and similar retail programs are only free if income is less than $20,000?
https://www.ufile.ca/tips-and-tools/file-for-free

Others like StudioTax do not have such restriction. But all software programs, free or not, limit 20 returns.
I think there is a government regulation regarding this: 21 or more means you're doing it as a business. They simply want to make sure that people are claiming any money received for work, including doing friends and family and perhaps co-worker returns. 20 or under, that's not much of a business (you can only do 19 outside yourself) -- at best, you charge $20 per return, you're earning $360..chump change.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4966 posts
4551 upvotes
Mockie wrote: Thanks for this. I will try out the turbo tax free bypass. Also, before reading that thread I never thought to use different programs to see which one gives best return. This is my first time filing taxes myself, I will try out simpletax, studiotax and also turbotax to see which is the best return.
Also while I'm writing on here anyways, does anyone know if I need to claim the income insurance paid me after my car was written off? Thanks!
Honestly, if you have all your information, and you enter it correctly, there should be ZERO difference with the result each of those programs give you.

There is no 'magic' in tax software, all these claims from various agencies that they'll find 'hidden' stuff that others won't is either a lie, or they are doing something fraudulent with your claim and from the CRA's perspective it's YOU that will have lied.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4966 posts
4551 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote: I'm lazy so I just pay the $20 for Ufile. It's been good to me. But good on these options for people who need it
StudioTax is as easy to use at UFile, aside from some 'prettiness' of the UI there's not much fundamental difference between the two. I'm not sure where 'lazy' comes from?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2107 posts
1647 upvotes
Vancouver
MyNameWasTaken wrote: I'm lazy so I just pay the $20 for Ufile. It's been good to me. But good on these options for people who need it
SimpleTax is easier than ufile and free. But sure, waste $20.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3312 posts
1541 upvotes
repatch wrote: StudioTax is as easy to use at UFile, aside from some 'prettiness' of the UI there's not much fundamental difference between the two. I'm not sure where 'lazy' comes from?
I guess dumb then, I like the prettiness lol
Oct 7, 2017
629 posts
869 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote: https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/co ... turbo_tax/

Feeling tempted to try this method this year
This is only for the USA. TurboTax is free here (I assume either required by law or partially tax supported; ironic lol): https://turbotax.intuit.ca/personal-tax ... online.jsp

You only have to pay if you wanted the upgrade guidance and features. But most people only need the standard set of stuff.
Feb 26, 2017
552 posts
399 upvotes
repatch wrote: StudioTax is as easy to use at UFile, aside from some 'prettiness' of the UI there's not much fundamental difference between the two. I'm not sure where 'lazy' comes from?

Last year for me, it seemed to have computed missed deductions and it connected to the CRA to download more data about previous years (?? Not sure exactly but it was able to go back a decade in my case). If simpletax didn’t have that capability it would be a lot of work on my part I assume. Unless I’m not understanding that new functionality from ufile
Sep 15, 2019
12 posts
9 upvotes
repatch wrote: Honestly, if you have all your information, and you enter it correctly, there should be ZERO difference with the result each of those programs give you.

There is no 'magic' in tax software, all these claims from various agencies that they'll find 'hidden' stuff that others won't is either a lie, or they are doing something fraudulent with your claim and from the CRA's perspective it's YOU that will have lied.
That makes sense! Thank you!