Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Free (or by donation) 2019 Tax return programs

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2021 12:06 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1478 posts
521 upvotes
GTA
shimdachef wrote: Not sure why people are freaking out about simpletax - the information is encrypted.
Previously, they did not have the encryption keys to your data (impossible for them to see/use/sell your data).
Now, they hold the keys to decrypt your data (we're at the mercy of their honesty not to see/use/sell your data).

Their intent may not be nefarious, but personally the intentional decrease in encryption security is a huge red flag.
Nov 4, 2014
244 posts
166 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
slim_shady wrote: Previously, they did not have the encryption keys to your data (impossible for them to see/use/sell your data).
Now, they hold the keys to decrypt your data (we're at the mercy of their honesty not to see/use/sell your data).

Their intent may not be nefarious, but personally the intentional decrease in encryption security is a huge red flag.
I was just going to post something along the lines of this. I switched from Ufile to Simpletax a few years ago and have been very pleased with it but when I got the notification from them that they were bought out by Wealthsimple, I became concerned. You don't buy a company without a plan to make money from it. So either our data will be monetized somehow later or Simpletax will no longer be free in the future. In either case, I need to start looking at other options I think.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2483 posts
699 upvotes
Winnipeg
Is there any way to import turbotax online data to any of these free softwares?

sorry if this has been answered already :)
😉
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
1253 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto
This year I decided to do my own tax return (have been going through an accountant for the past several years). Which one is the most user-friendly, easiest program?
I have a rental income property to include as well. Other than that, it’s child care fees, regular RRSP and T4 abd T5’s only.
Thanks.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11263 upvotes
slim_shady wrote: Previously, they did not have the encryption keys to your data (impossible for them to see/use/sell your data).

Actually it's much worse, you are at the mercy of how good their IT security and practices are. Considering all the high level breaches out there, there is ZERO chance I'd leave my data with a company who's product I'm not even paying for.
Oct 11, 2016
537 posts
619 upvotes
repatch wrote: Actually it's much worse, you are at the mercy of how good their IT security and practices are. Considering all the high level breaches out there, there is ZERO chance I'd leave my data with a company who's product I'm not even paying for.
That seems like a deal breaker for SimpleTax. Why would anyone use it knowing that if it gets compromised, all their information would be out there? Do the other softwares have better security and actual encryption?
Jul 20, 2007
692 posts
260 upvotes
Aurora
Is it just me? I've been trying to opt out for Simpletax on the data usage based on the instructions provided. Once I unchecked it and it says account has been updated. But then when I refresh and go back to the account, the checkbox is still there. It's like it is forcing me to opt in. I'm considering just deleting the account all together.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1197 posts
917 upvotes
Toronto
+1 for SimpleTax

I've used the past 2 years with my own and my partner's tax returns. They have end-to-end encrypted and do not sell your data.

Edit: Just make sure you opt-out of the two "anonymous" data sharing options in the settings if you don't want to share any personal data with SimpleTax / Wealthsimple.

SimpleTax Privacy Policy / TOS - January 9, 2020
Last edited by Newpunk on Jan 29th, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
If you have used simple tax in the past, I encourage you to log into your account and un-check the data usage options because by default they are on.
I've just erased my account and will be using a different software this year.
Last edited by SpectralMeat on Jan 29th, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6318 posts
2511 upvotes
does it matter?
dont use simple tax no login and no more unchecking. no worries about data collection. Simple

I mean No Simplatax
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
wranglery wrote: I was lucky many years ago found a similar discussion and started with StudioTax. I won't go back to anything else. I was working on my return the first time with the program and I got a question. I posted a note and they replied back, on Sunday! Highly recommended.
Last time I paid for tax software - it was UFile like 8ish years ago - I sent them the very simple questions [sent it 3 times!!!] and they didn't even bother to answer!! Paid software!!!

Downloaded StudioTax, went tru initial pain of manually transferring data [like, 20 minuets of 'pain', once] and never looked back.

Also, I always donate about $5 per return and I think it's a fair price to pay...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
kayceedee wrote: This year I decided to do my own tax return (have been going through an accountant for the past several years). Which one is the most user-friendly, easiest program?
I have a rental income property to include as well. Other than that, it’s child care fees, regular RRSP and T4 abd T5’s only.
Thanks.
StudioTax hands down.

You can download the software, do it all locally on you comp, eFile it, keep it encrypted and safe... No 'online $hit, no passwords, accounts, data being sold...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1166 posts
478 upvotes
Turbanville
Great post OP..Thanks!

Instead of paying to private tax software companies, every year, why CRA themself not designing a software as per their required standards and make it free for every tax payers? If needed, taxpayers should not mind paying some token charge.
"Beer"
The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
"SMART" People always makes SMART Choice..!!!!!
May 11, 2007
28 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
Because CRA will never be able to do it right to pass their own standards!
Nov 4, 2014
244 posts
166 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
So, I just checked out the other free (donation) options listed on the OP and while the Taxman option was a highly entertaining read (seriously, check out the site), I think I'm going to move from Simpletax to Studiotax based on all the feedback on this thread. Thanks for all the great input!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6318 posts
2511 upvotes
does it matter?
2GOOGLE wrote: Great post OP..Thanks!

Instead of paying to private tax software companies, every year, why CRA themself not designing a software as per their required standards and make it free for every tax payers? If needed, taxpayers should not mind paying some token charge.
here is no reason why government/CRA should get involved. Studiotax is free use it. There may be other free but I am not looking for that anymore.
Taxpayers should not be paying That token charges. That tokens charge can balloon in millions in short period.
newmississauga wrote: Because CRA will never be able to do it right to pass their own standards!
And also this.
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1197 posts
917 upvotes
Toronto
repatch wrote: IF you opt out of the data collection. The default is NOT E2E encrypted.
You are very right! Opt out or don't opt into these two if you don't want to share "anonymous" data.
SimpleTax Privacy.PNG
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
2171 posts
874 upvotes
I don't know if studio tax has corrected the error or not but I remember it not calculating the Quebec returns properly.
I was so frustrated with it because i had entered all the information and it would give me a huge return which didn't make sense.
That was 4 or 5 years ago so maybe it's improved now.