Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Free Geek Vancouver

D-Link N300 Wifi Router $5

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2021 5:49 pm
23 replies
Mar 5, 2021
342 posts
668 upvotes
Ontario
Only store pickup, you should include this in your post.
God bless Canada and the whole world.
Banned
Apr 19, 2021
76 posts
62 upvotes
You can also volunteer with them for a certain number of hours and receive 40% off everything or something like that, and also enough hours and you get a free computer that runs on Ubuntu.
[OP]
Sep 25, 2019
885 posts
1943 upvotes
One of the boys buy 2 of these and make wireless connection of 2. It connect the security system using wireless instead of wire and it work well.

They call it a bridge, but I not know how to setup and the boy not work for us anymore.

Anyone know how to do this? We want to make for storage room.
Banned
Apr 19, 2021
76 posts
62 upvotes
MikuGirl wrote: One of the boys buy 2 of these and make wireless connection of 2. It connect the security system using wireless instead of wire and it work well.

They call it a bridge, but I not know how to setup and the boy not work for us anymore.

That was weirdly written but I assume you mean you just want to extend WiFi? See if the router has AP mode or range extender mode which basically rebroadcasts the signal from the router connected to the modem. It’ll extend the range but the bandwidth and latency will be highly limited/diminished as it has to be routed through the secondary router, then transmitted back to the first router then the modem.
Aug 29, 2010
130 posts
123 upvotes
Quebec
1. You still have to connect the 2 routers by wire via ethernet ports (not the WAN port where you connect your modem )
2. In Network settings of the main router connected to your modem, take note of the IP address (usually it is 192.168.0.1 for D-link)
3. In network settings of the second router, change that address to a different one, in the same range for example 192.168.0.2
4. Very important, stlll n network settings of the second router:
- make sure "enable DNS relay" is checked
- "enable DHCP server" is unchecked
5. You can then oroceed to wireless settings on the second router which will provide extra coverage to the surroundings of where it is placed.
6. Reboot or power cycle the second router
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
2084 posts
1560 upvotes
I had 2 of these routers, they are horrible with stock firmware! Do not buy please.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
2084 posts
1560 upvotes
Buy a mesh network of routers to do this, it is 2021 after all. You will be more happy!
[OP]
Sep 25, 2019
885 posts
1943 upvotes
shayne85 wrote: Buy a mesh network of routers to do this, it is 2021 after all. You will be more happy!
I need Ethernet wire at other end.

Can I load the other software on this router?

ThankYou
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2006
1220 posts
1755 upvotes
$5 and you could use it as just a GigE switch? Why all the downvotes for price?

Also pretty sure one of the aftermarket firmwares should work too for stability (DDWRT?)

Granted store pickup but if you're in the area...

Not GigE, just 10/100

BTW: I don't have the time to go further, but OP wants a wireless bridge between two routers (easier to setup using something like DDWRT) not a repeater. The routers just act as a media bridge.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged
Last edited by Kazushi on May 31st, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 29, 2010
130 posts
123 upvotes
Quebec
Kazushi wrote: $5 and you could use it as just a GigE switch? Why all the downvotes for price?
If i'm not mistaken, that model Dir-605l has fast ethernet ports (100 mb) not Gigabit (1000 mb) ports. Otherwise, yes for 5 dollars and a few settings it's worth having them to provide extra wireless coverage as well as extra gigabit ethernet ports.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3735 posts
1980 upvotes
Vancouver
If you're lucky you can find way more powerful wifi routers at your local thrift store...
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2006
1220 posts
1755 upvotes
you're right, I google'd the specs and Amazon had a listing (which is a broken link that mentioned 5x GigE ports (but that could have been the description for another model). Edited my other post.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
25538 posts
15377 upvotes
Toronto
I would have to be paid to take a d-link router. Once bitten, twice shy. The specs on this unit is so out of date that it would barely qualify as e-waste.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile $40/15GB, $35/20GB, lot less with rewards
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Apr 29, 2011
27 posts
14 upvotes
Vancouver
MikuGirl wrote: One of the boys buy 2 of these and make wireless connection of 2. It connect the security system using wireless instead of wire and it work well.

Check out here:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

Both Repeater / Repeater Bridge or Client / Client Bridge work

You need to install DD-WRT in the Repeater or Client to make it work.
Penalty Box
Feb 24, 2018
24783 posts
32514 upvotes
MikuGirl wrote: I need Ethernet wire at other end.

Can I load the other software on this router?

ThankYou
We should get you a thread in Computers and Electronics to discuss your networking needs.

This thread may not last very long here as a purely self-help thread.

Nice find though. I'm going to recommend what others have said, between thrift stores and ebay.ca, you'll find plenty of low cost reasonable performance routers. Many will also support DD-WRT.

God bless, Miku.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12513 posts
15668 upvotes
The routers are the ones people throw in the trash or bring to recycling places.
Have a nice day!

Aug 28, 2015
128 posts
115 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
These wireless routers still exist?
I won’t even get them for free.

They are the dialup of wireless connections lol