Expired Hot Deals

FREE HOME PHONE LINE for the first 5000 Residents from Toronto or Montreal

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2013 4:25 pm
Jan 24, 2010
119 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga
where cna i sign up for the config file?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54406 posts
19243 upvotes
Hi guys,

Lately, I've been hearing my own echo whenever I call my VOIP landline. Is there anyway to resolve this echo problem?

Thanks.
Apr 21, 2009
432 posts
140 upvotes
Tri Cities
I just figured out how to activate visual call waiting on my freephoneline using a cisco SPA2102 ATA device

1. login to your SPA2102 web interface as admin.
2. go to line 1 or line 2 whichever applies to you and go down to "Supplementary Service Subscription" section, select "yes" beside the "Call Waiting Serv:"
3. go to the regional tab and go down to the "Vertical Service Activation Codes" section. take note of the "CW Act Code:" code (usually *56) and the "CWCID Act Code:" (usually *25)
4. save all changes and restart your ATA
5. dial the "CW Act Code" (*56) on your phone to activate call waiting. hang up.
6. dial the "CWCID Act Code:" (*25) on your phone to activate visual call waiting and hang up.
congratulations you now have visual call waiting activated.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18708 posts
26932 upvotes
ONTARIO
moneytech wrote: I just figured out how to activate visual call waiting on my freephoneline using a cisco SPA2102 ATA device

1. login to your SPA2102 web interface as admin.
2. go to line 1 or line 2 whichever applies to you and go down to "Supplementary Service Subscription" section, select "yes" beside the "Call Waiting Serv:"
3. go to the regional tab and go down to the "Vertical Service Activation Codes" section. take note of the "CW Act Code:" code (usually *56) and the "CWCID Act Code:" (usually *25)
4. save all changes and restart your ATA
5. dial the "CW Act Code" (*56) on your phone to activate call waiting. hang up.
6. dial the "CWCID Act Code:" (*25) on your phone to activate visual call waiting and hang up.
congratulations you now have visual call waiting activated.

Thank you for this! I know this thread is old but I was searching to see if this feature was available on FPL. I just set it up and it works great!
Dec 21, 2007
307 posts
15 upvotes
Vancouver
These guys are losers. I got this email from them:

Dear freephoneline User,

Your account with us has been flagged by one of our staff and will be deleted in 30 days if not acted upon. Your phone number is currently in a disabled state until this issue is resolved.

The flag reason for your account is: Unable to verify information for 911

Please ensure that all the information on your account is accurate, up-to-date, and completed in full before contacting our office. You may contact us via phone or email to resolve this issue and have your account unflagged.

Regards,
freephoneline.ca Team

I have no idea what these morons are talking about. They do not provide 911 service at all.
www.TSX-TODAY.com
RFD Damage: Macbook Pro i5 tsx with Service Plan: $3,199
i7-2600 tsx today System
i5 tsx today Server
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1789 posts
571 upvotes
Toronto
They were also leaving me voicemails at one point and when I tried calling back and I was on hold forever so just gave up. My line is active and I haven't received this email yet. Maybe I should contact them... I use voip.ms with 911 as my main line anyway. The FPL is just a bonus for free long distance..
Dec 27, 2007
219 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Pyrrhus wrote: These guys are losers. I got this email from them:

Dear freephoneline User,

Your account with us has been flagged by one of our staff and will be deleted in 30 days if not acted upon. Your phone number is currently in a disabled state until this issue is resolved.

The flag reason for your account is: Unable to verify information for 911

Please ensure that all the information on your account is accurate, up-to-date, and completed in full before contacting our office. You may contact us via phone or email to resolve this issue and have your account unflagged.

Regards,
freephoneline.ca Team

I have no idea what these morons are talking about. They do not provide 911 service at all.

Um... They ABSOLUTELY DO provide 911 service. Which is why they need to confirm your service address occasionally. Quite painless, they called and left me a voicemail. I called them back and confirmed my address. Took less than three minutes.

A lot better than having EMS show up to the wrong address in an emergency.

Simply call them and your account will be fine again. No big deal.
Oct 22, 2006
479 posts
74 upvotes
Quick question just so I am clear. If you buy an ATA does that mean you can plug in a traditional phone into the ATA and your VOIP calls will ring through there (basically like you have a land line except it's though your PC)?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1789 posts
571 upvotes
Toronto
Exactly. An ATA adapter allows you to plug in your "Regular" analog phones to VOIP service(s). Your ATA plugs into your router and the computer doesn't even need to be on or needs to control anything. (Except for intial setup). If you live in a house, you could even plug in the ATA at the demarcation point so all the jacks in the house can use VOIP.
Oct 22, 2006
479 posts
74 upvotes
wysiwyg wrote: Exactly. An ATA adapter allows you to plug in your "Regular" analog phones to VOIP service(s). Your ATA plugs into your router and the computer doesn't even need to be on or needs to control anything. (Except for intial setup). If you live in a house, you could even plug in the ATA at the demarcation point so all the jacks in the house can use VOIP.

Thanks for the information!

That's awesome that the computer does not have to be on for it to work.

I looked on the site and they mentioned that they are able to make the service free via the advertising that comes bundled with the software. What kind of advertising is it and how intrusive is it?

By having the ability to use the service without your PC being on, does that not defeat the purpose of the ads and them trying to sell you stuff?

Thanks again.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1789 posts
571 upvotes
Toronto
there are 2 ways to use freephoneline.ca service:

1. Via the computer using their own application which contains advertising and a headset. There is no charge at all for this.
2. Via the purchase of the ATA "config file" which costs $50 last time I checked. All this is is a username and password you enter in your ATA adapter.

If you choose option 2, there's no ads and no need to use your computer to use the phone.
Oct 22, 2006
479 posts
74 upvotes
wysiwyg wrote: there are 2 ways to use freephoneline.ca service:

1. Via the computer using their own application which contains advertising and a headset. There is no charge at all for this.
2. Via the purchase of the ATA "config file" which costs $50 last time I checked. All this is is a username and password you enter in your ATA adapter.

If you choose option 2, there's no ads and no need to use your computer to use the phone.
OK, that makes sense. Thank you very much for clarifying that. Cheers! :)
May 27, 2012
10 posts
I had freephoneline for a couple years till Dell Voice came out (they are now both powered by Fongo) Dell Voice appears to have a larger "Free Calling" area.
Jan 29, 2010
111 posts
51 upvotes
QC
I'm thinking about switching from VoIP.ms to freephoneline.ca(cost-wise)

One thing is holding me back from doing the switch

I'm trying to get a phone number from my city. I'm from Trois-Rivieres, Quebec which is in their supported free calling cities list. When i register, Trois-Rivieres isn't in their phone number list. Do I really need to port my current phone number to get a local phone ? I wouldn't mind getting a new phone number.