Computers & Electronics

Free Long Distance with Linksys (Cisco) PAP2 VOIP Adapter? Help!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2016 3:52 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 26, 2009
687 posts
178 upvotes

Free Long Distance with Linksys (Cisco) PAP2 VOIP Adapter? Help!

Hi, I have a Linksys PAP2 VOIP adapter and wanted to be able to call US landline/mobile numbers for free (and if possible, Canadian ones as well). Is there a FREE service I can set up with my PAP2 adapter? Thank you.
7 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33708 posts
7353 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Most if not all of the free service providers want you to use an app so that you're forced to view ads

No such thing as a free lunch
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
474 upvotes
Vancouver
Not with the Linksys PAP2.

If you want to buy an OBi ATA, you could use Google Voice.

Edit: this service may make Google Voice work with your OBi ATA: https://simonics.com/gw/
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17260 posts
3504 upvotes
Toronto
First, get a Google Voice number and then an Obihai ATA. Trying to enable GV with the PAP is overly complicated compared to the Obihai.

If you're in Canada, it's also hardto get a GV number.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2009
687 posts
178 upvotes
Thanks, all, but isn't there any service out there that you can somehow configure to allow free calling to the US at least? Or even a certain metropolitan area in the US?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17260 posts
3504 upvotes
Toronto
There is no free service that I know of that works with the linksys other than google voice.

You can use google hangouts on a cell to make free calls over wifi and data but there is no way to receive incoming calls without have a gv number.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3694 posts
190 upvotes
Montreal
freephoneline/fongo I think gives you free calling for 50USD one time fee.

Most people probably use providers like VoIP.ms, Anveo or Didlogic. Rates are 1c/minute or less. Most people go with these options because 3$ gets you 300 minutes of talk time, and most people would rather pay 3$/month and have a company that makes money and has a reason to maintain their network.

You also get a phone number (for 1$/month extra), and other services like call forwarding and voicemail.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19160 posts
27576 upvotes
ONTARIO
cloneman wrote: freephoneline/fongo I think gives you free calling for 50USD one time fee.

Most people probably use providers like VoIP.ms, Anveo or Didlogic. Rates are 1c/minute or less. Most people go with these options because 3$ gets you 300 minutes of talk time, and most people would rather pay 3$/month and have a company that makes money and has a reason to maintain their network.

You also get a phone number (for 1$/month extra), and other services like call forwarding and voicemail.
Nah, FPL only offers free long distance calling within Canada and only to certain cities. The list of cities though is quite large.
You can however purchase prepaid credit on FPL to call international numbers. I think you can buy $5 credits to use like a calling card. I think US calling from FPL is $0.02/minute.

Like other people have mentioned, if OP uses an Obihai device, they can easily set up Google Voice and that will enable free US/CA calling.