Computers & Electronics

Free maps for old Magellan handheld GPS?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2016 11:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1562 posts
760 upvotes

Free maps for old Magellan handheld GPS?

n/m
5 replies
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
Luckily I sold my Magellan Crossover when it was still worth something and used the money to get a smartphone instead.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Scott86 wrote: I found an old Sportrak color GPS. When it came out, it was a high-end unit with a whopping 32 MEGABYTES of memory! This was back in 2004 :razz:

Anyway, mine is mint, sealed, brand new condition. I was hoping someone could help me get it updated so it would be usable. Im planing on doing some hiking and camping so it would be useful if i could load it up with some topographic maps.

Does anyone have some pointers? Or should i just accept that a dedicated GPS unit thats over a decade old is totally useless now a days.
I used to be very active in the gps newsgroup when a Garmin 2610 could cost over US$1500.
Now it is all history when cellular phones take over (with traffic update minute by minute).
The same thing happens in the market of calculator.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: I used to be very active in the gps newsgroup when a Garmin 2610 could cost over US$1500.
Now it is all history when cellular phones take over (with traffic update minute by minute).
The same thing happens in the market of calculator.
I can't believe I paid over $450 for a Lowrance GlobalNav 12 back in 1998, in order to track with maps I needed load those overpriced maps and plug it into a laptop before driving.
The same thing happened with PDAs like the Palm IIIc, here today gone faster than you can say "gone" ! ...LoL

ImageImage