Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Cineplex.com

Free movies on cineplex.com for black lives matter issues

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2020 9:26 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 26, 2010
914 posts
689 upvotes
Vancouver
DragonRider wrote: The latency I am getting totally prevents me from enjoying the movies. Anyone experiencing the same?
I don't have any problems watching YouTube, Vimeo, BroadwayHD, etc.
I thought it was just me. And I'm wired in.
Aug 5, 2013
420 posts
645 upvotes
Thank you, so many great movies to keep me busy!
Feb 20, 2017
125 posts
111 upvotes
DragonRider wrote: The latency I am getting totally prevents me from enjoying the movies. Anyone experiencing the same?
I don't have any problems watching YouTube, Vimeo, BroadwayHD, etc.
shabbydog wrote: I thought it was just me. And I'm wired in.
I assume you mean buffering? Why not try downloading it first?
Sep 17, 2006
496 posts
267 upvotes
Cineplex.com isn't the best movie player but just providing the list of movies is a great suggestion.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9315 posts
7703 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
mussitate wrote: I assume you mean buffering? Why not try downloading it first?
Where do you see an option to download?
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
badOne wrote: what, no black panther? :D
Yea, and a bunch of movies with Will Smith are missing. Or Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker in Rush Hour
Feb 20, 2017
125 posts
111 upvotes
DragonRider wrote: Where do you see an option to download?
If you're using the Cineplex store app, there's a download option (see picture). Looks like there no download for the web version though.
Images
  • upload.png
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2939 posts
580 upvotes
SammyDavis wrote: Easiest way to watch these on Android tv? Is there an app?
I've got an NVIDIA Shield Android TV (streaming media console) and just tested things out.

1. Easiest way is to Cast to the Android TV device from Chrome browser on another device (I have a Windows netbook by my couch, perfect for this). Picture quality was pretty good, to my eye, better that the 'standard' quality in the app. For those who like to watch with the words up, the web browser movie player offers customizable CC rendering, unlike the app which offers just on or off.

2. On my Shield, with all 3 web browsers that I tried, going to the Cineplex Store's 'My Library' area and hitting 'Play' on a rented(/purchased) movie resulted in a 'Visit the Mobile App' message - meaning playback directly in a browser on this Android TV device is NOT possible.

3. The above message prompts me to download their app - however, the 'Cineplex Store' app that is needed for playback does NOT appear in the Android TV Store. It must be sideloaded. I found it (currently v 3.3.3) in the Aptoide Store and downloaded and installed it.

4. Upon startup, the app launched a browser sessions asking me to sign in to Microsoft Azure (which is an app deployment service intended for app developers/publishers). This came up every time I started the app until I signed in to my Microsoft account - and then it told me that I was unable to update the app because I had sideloaded it ("or installed it in Private mode"). Fortunately, it seems this notification can be dismissed permanently. If you don't have a Microsoft account or one of the other accounts it suggests to sign in to, having the browser page open every time you start the Cineplex Store app would be a real nuisance.

5. The app opens in portrait mode, not landscape, which of course you want if using Android TV. However, upon the start of video play, it auto-rotates and fills the screen as expected. Note: it is possible to install an app that will auto rotate apps natively presented in portrait mode - but often, as it the case here, the resulting layout is not ideal (things that are meant to be in view now require scrolling to access and so on).

6. The app is designed with touch input in mind, and while some remote/controller input is possible, visual hints as to what item is currently focused are inconsistent - the bottom menu items get highlighted when selected but scrolling vertically through the 'Explore' and 'Genres' screens or trying to select a movie in 'My Library' is pretty much a wild guess, so navigating the app is unnecessarily made a frustrating chore. Using an airmouse provides a much better experience (but shouldn't be necessary).

7. Streaming video quality can be changed in the app's Settings area (via the Account screen) - default quality is 'standard', option is 'high'. (Btw, don't forget when choosing your FREE movies to select the 'HD' version for $0.00 and not the SD version!) The app does stay signed in between sessions and does remember last watched position if your movie viewing is interrupted, so that's also good.

8. Looks like movies can be rented/purchased from within the app, though at this time, I don't see the "Understanding Black Stories' section with the FREE rentals - so looks like we'll have to Search manually - or better yet, add them through the browser (on any device, when signed in to your Cineplex account) and then find them in the App in the 'My Library' section.

9. I am unable to download movies in the app, as one should be able to do. A message says I don't have enough storage space even though I do. The Storage Location Setting in my app only sees Internal Storage and doesn't recognize the fact I have an SD card installed, as it should.
Last edited by RenegadeX on Jun 6th, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26213 posts
39760 upvotes
Toronto
Working beautifully on TCL TV via built-in Roku . Hardwired to router.
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16790 posts
12573 upvotes
Markham
I wish they have some options for kids.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
Any idea how long these will be free?
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Jul 12, 2017
134 posts
269 upvotes
smartie wrote: I wish they have some options for kids.
Dude! Spiderman Into the Spiderverse! This Spiderman movie is quite "Amazing"! :)
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2017
1948 posts
2463 upvotes
Is there anyway to watch these on a Fire stick?

Even downloading the apk won't work as it won't install.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1959 posts
4001 upvotes
Bloor-Yonge
ultimate spiderman's dad is a cop, and spider-gwen's dad is also a cop
Dec 23, 2010
480 posts
919 upvotes
Toronto
Moonlight is a masterpiece. Not for everyone though. Too bad they don't have District 9, though Netflix does.
Feb 29, 2008
353 posts
157 upvotes
Thanks OP. Got 17 movies .Watched Queen and Slim and loved it. Easy casting from the Cineplex android app to my TV with excellent picture and sound.
Apr 25, 2014
85 posts
111 upvotes
Wakanda
Thanks cineplex! With this small act we've defeated racism!