• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2020 9:26 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3451 posts
1379 upvotes
What kind of RFDer downvotes FREE things?

These are top notch movies, not direct to DVD, and respect to Cineplex for opening up the library for this. When I clicked I thought it would be 5-10 documentaries and short films, these are legit.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3451 posts
1379 upvotes
Another one that's missing but a must watch (from the other perspective), American History X, is soooooo intense, great acting and a storyline that's unforgettable. I remember watching it in high school and first 10 minutes had my jaw drop hard.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3279 posts
1578 upvotes
Toronto
bhrm wrote: Another one that's missing but a must watch (from the other perspective), American History X, is soooooo intense, great acting and a storyline that's unforgettable. I remember watching it in high school and first 10 minutes had my jaw drop hard.
When I was scanning the titles, that was the very movie I was looking for.
Exact same reaction when I first viewed.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1247 posts
1198 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
bhrm wrote: Another one that's missing but a must watch (from the other perspective), American History X, is soooooo intense, great acting and a storyline that's unforgettable. I remember watching it in high school and first 10 minutes had my jaw drop hard.
shikotee wrote: When I was scanning the titles, that was the very movie I was looking for.
Exact same reaction when I first viewed.
American History X is great (and the only time you'll find milquetoast Edward Norton genuinely scary) but it makes sense that it's not in this collection based on Cineplex's aims, since it's not about the black experience or written/produced/directed by a black person.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3451 posts
1379 upvotes
Ninja Robot Pirate wrote: American History X is great (and the only time you'll find milquetoast Edward Norton genuinely scary) but it makes sense that it's not in this collection based on Cineplex's aims, since it's not about the black experience or written/produced/directed by a black person.
Correct, but an important perspective.

Yes Ed Norton was legit a bit too real lol. Gave everyone the shivers and really uncomfortable, but that's how great acting is, to make audiences remember.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3279 posts
1578 upvotes
Toronto
Ninja Robot Pirate wrote: American History X is great (and the only time you'll find milquetoast Edward Norton genuinely scary) but it makes sense that it's not in this collection based on Cineplex's aims, since it's not about the black experience or written/produced/directed by a black person.
Good points.
Definitely more about the caustic effects of racism, from a white perspective.
DS9 has been on my mind recently, and I always enjoyed the Avery Brooks cameo (which depicts the experience of a an African-American principal and outreach worker dealing with modern day Nazi ideology).
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2011
4319 posts
1710 upvotes
Coach Carter is pretty good for casual watching. It's even listed twice haha
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11725 posts
1929 upvotes
Mississauga
American History X is available on Netflix FYI. It's not free but most people subscribe to the service already.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
5699 posts
4456 upvotes
Calgary
Talamasca wrote: American History X is available on Netflix FYI. It's not free but most people subscribe to the service already.
“Most” . No.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
5699 posts
4456 upvotes
Calgary
mygunuface wrote: Thanks cineplex! With this small act we've defeated racism!
What a weird thing to say.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2007
1177 posts
1019 upvotes
SammyDavis wrote: “Most” . No.
According to this there are 6.5 million subscribers in Canada

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/12/16/ ... 0of%202018.

According to this there are 14 million households in Canada

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-q ... 1a-eng.htm

So almost half of households are netflix subscribers. Most may be an overstatement but the number certainly is very high
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12785 posts
3281 upvotes
RFD
Just saw JUST MERCY. Masterful performances and excellent movie. So powerful. So much injustice.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1864 posts
2074 upvotes
GTA
shikotee wrote: Well put.
With this said, maybe it is time to *seriously* reconsider some of the site functionality?
Not only is it sad that some would have such a hostile reaction to this thread, but even sadder that they get to downvote knowing full well that no one will see who they are.

This site should seriously consider making an explanation (for down voting) a requirement, or consider removing the privilege of anonymity when doing so. Call me old fashioned, but if you have something negative to say, but aren't willing to put your name behind it, then you really don't have anything good to say.

When disputes are encountered here at RFD, we are often reminded that we can block users posts as a remedy.
This isn't really possible when the site forbids you from knowing who "they" are.

If mods feel I am out of line here, please consider moving (instead of deleting) my post to the suggestions thread, where the very same sentiment has been raised several times in threads there.

Back on topic - I'm genuinely curious how these selections (many of which are awesome) were made. Several users brought up "Black Panther", and I imagine the issue there is Disney. Perhaps Disney+ is considering putting together some sort of similar promo?

All in all, I think this is a worthy venture - just curious how it came together.
I agree, I've been thinking this for a while. Another possibility is just getting rid of downvotes. Kind of a Like system, how much something is liked is all that would be reflected. Downvotes don't count towards a person's totals anyway, so they seem kind of pointless.

Personally I'd prefer Blade here over Black Panther, the first decent black superhero movie I ever remember. Best Marvel superhero movie until Spiderman.
c'mon get happy!