Aug 27, 2007
271 posts
133 upvotes
Calgary

FREE NEST Thermostat - Sign up Service w. Direct Energy - ALBERTA ONLY

Deal Link:
Expiry:
March 31, 2014
Choose the 5-year Dual Fuel plan for your Alberta electricity and natural gas needs and receive a Nest Learning Thermostat™

Sign up for the Comfort & Control Plan with Direct Energy and you’ll get a $249 Nest Learning Thermostat at no cost.

The 5-Year Comfort & Control Dual Fuel Plan includes:
A fixed rate of 8.59¢/kWh for your Alberta electricity that won't change for the entirety of your 5-year contract term - guaranteed
Flex-through Alberta natural gas with the security of a winter cap of $5.99/GJ*
A Nest Learning Thermostat™ - valued at $249 - at no additional cost**

T&C:
This offer is only available to residents of Alberta who do not currently have a contract with Direct Energy. Members of gas co-ops, municipally owned gas utilities and some Rural Electrical Associations are not eligible for this offer. May not be combined with other offers or promotions and is subject to other terms and conditions. **A Device Cost Recovery Fee of $200 will be charged for early cancellation of the Plan. *Our Flex-Through Natural Gas price is based on the monthly average daily gas price for Alberta traded as reported by the Natural Gas Exchange, plus a fee of $2.00/GJ for buying gas on your behalf. The winter cap of $5.99/GJ for natural gas applies from November 1st through March 31st each year of your contract term. 1Your Nest will be shipped 30-60 days after contract sign up. You are not required to purchase natural gas, electricity or other goods and services from Direct Energy to be entitled to receive regulated natural gas services or regulated electricity services from a regulated provider in your service territory.
---------------------------------------------------------
Kindly thank if I've helped you spend money! :lol:
23 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1774 posts
606 upvotes
Calgary
Direct Energy is scum......
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10977 posts
7353 upvotes
Oil Country
5-years with Direct Energy for a free Nest is a joke. I was with Direct when I moved into my new house a few years ago, and I was being billed on average about $230-240 a month during the Winter time. I ended up switching to Enmax, and the following Winter I noticed my bill dropped to just under $200 month. I also didn't change my habits either.

Actually, it might be worth it to get the Nest and then cancel. They charge $200 to recover the cost of the device. Last time I checked, the Nest was $250 in stores.
Dec 7, 2012
827 posts
428 upvotes
Ontario
I don't need that overhyped nest pos. My 5 year old honeywell works just fine with zigbee.
Your advertisement here
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3040 posts
2044 upvotes
Canadia
I live in Alberta and pay 7.15¢/kWh through Spot Power until December 2016, with no contract.

Assuming that I consume 600 kWh/month, Direct Energy's "deal" would cost me $500 more over 60 months. And that's not even factoring in their overpriced gas contract which is sold at market rate + $2/GJ.

Direct Energy is overpriced and their door-to-door sales tactics have resulted in many complaints in this province. There are better options.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1784 posts
471 upvotes
DirectEnergy is the worst company around...avoid at all costs.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10977 posts
7353 upvotes
Oil Country
igob8a wrote: I don't need that overhyped nest pos. My 5 year old honeywell works just fine with zigbee.
That's nice, but the Nest is one of the best options for people that want a wifi enabled thermostat and don't have a C-wire coming from their furnace. Most newer homes don't have a C-wire connected to the furnace, which is used for power by many other wifi enabled thermostats. The Nest trickles power when the Furnace/AC is running, and a C-wire is not required for the install.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
1977 posts
674 upvotes
Edmonton
Five years is a long damn time.

The fixed gas rates on pretty much all contracts are interesting too.

They are better than Just Energy at least.
Jul 3, 2013
376 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
fudge_u wrote: That's nice, but the Nest is one of the best options for people that want a wifi enabled thermostat and don't have a C-wire coming from their furnace. Most newer homes don't have a C-wire connected to the furnace, which is used for power by many other wifi enabled thermostats. The Nest trickles power when the Furnace/AC is running, and a C-wire is not required for the install.
Do you own a nest? Cause I do and what you've wrote isn't that accurate.

Cause this is partially true and false. Nests can and may work without the C wire. A lot of people have found that over time the nest receives enough voltage to trigger your fan on and off but not enough to stay on and too much to stay off. It loses it's resistance over time without getting it's own power from a c wire. Also some people have had battery issues without a c wire. New homes do have a c wire. They usually have a total of 4... Fan, heat, ac, and c in simple terms. Even though the nest may work fine without the c for some people, others have had to pull a new line or make a swap with G or another wire depending on your setup. This all being said, it's better to have a c wire than not to have it.

Also... The nest is cool and works well. It's a pretty big investment for $250. It's debatable on how energy efficient it is. Really depends on the household. I definitely wouldn't want to lock in with a energy company for 5 years just to get one for "free"

Some more info for the g to c swap. You lose manual fan control, forgot to mention. So for ac you'll have to jumper the y and g for ac compressor and fan. In case any of you are thinking of getting a nest. It's something to consider in case it happens
https://community.nest.com/thread/1913
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10977 posts
7353 upvotes
Oil Country
dukati wrote: Do you own a nest? Cause I do and what you've wrote isn't that accurate.

Cause this is partially true and false. Nests can and may work without the C wire. A lot of people have found that over time the nest receives enough voltage to trigger your fan on and off but not enough to stay on and too much to stay off. It loses it's resistance over time without getting it's own power from a c wire. Also some people have had battery issues without a c wire. New homes do have a c wire. They usually have a total of 4... Fan, heat, ac, and c in simple terms. Even though the nest may work fine without the c for some people, others have had to pull a new line or make a swap with G or another wire depending on your setup. This all being said, it's better to have a c wire than not to have it.

Also... The nest is cool and works well. It's a pretty big investment for $250. It's debatable on how energy efficient it is. Really depends on the household. I definitely wouldn't want to lock in with a energy company for 5 years just to get one for "free"

Some more info for the g to c swap. You lose manual fan control, forgot to mention. So for ac you'll have to jumper the y and g for ac compressor and fan. In case any of you are thinking of getting a nest. It's something to consider in case it happens
Yes I do have a Nest. Installed almost two years ago without a C-wire. I've looked at a few newer homes built within the last 10 years, and none of them had a C-Wire connected to the furnace. My home was the newest of the bunch, built in 2010.

I'll admit that I don't fully understand how the Nest receives its power without a C-wire, but my understanding was, it steals power when the furnace/AC is running. Thanks for the clarification. As far as I know, I haven't run into any issues yet.

Just checked my battery voltage after looking at the thread posted in the Nest forum, and it shows that it's at 3.82v. That's without connecting C-wire, or doing the work around with the G-wire.

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/2cp7sky.png[/IMG][IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/2vabotg.png[/IMG]
Jul 29, 2007
153 posts
55 upvotes
Enmax is at 8.9% fixed electricity right now. This seems like a pretty good deal but I'd have to compare my gas to this. Is there anything I'm missing?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3040 posts
2044 upvotes
Canadia
WeaponR wrote: Enmax is at 8.9% fixed electricity right now. This seems like a pretty good deal but I'd have to compare my gas to this. Is there anything I'm missing?
Yes, Direct Energy adds $2 per gigajoule as a flow-through fee.

For electricity, check out spotpower.net - they're based in Calgary and charge under 8¢/kWh With no contract required. The only gotcha is that they're completely online for billing and support. I've been a customer for about three years.
May 9, 2007
82 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton
dukati wrote: Do you own a nest? Cause I do and what you've wrote isn't that accurate.

yeah I had to install a C wire for my nest, it was reporting low bat and not updating online. Luckily there was a spare wire i was able to hook up for the C line. Been fine since.
Jan 22, 2007
244 posts
255 upvotes
Direct Energy usually offers 4000 Aeroplan miles for signup. We switched a few months ago they were credited with a couple weeks. Switched right back to Enmax since there is no exit fees and you can keep the miles.

If you want a promo for Direct Energy I'd suggest waiting for the aeroplan miles to come back. They have dismal customer service and shady pricing. Five years is a long time...
Jan 31, 2008
408 posts
38 upvotes
I signed up for this yesterday.

Natural gas is $5.99 CAP for the Nov - March, which are the colder months. So I think it's worth it since I saw ours go above $5.99 last month. I called in and the $5.99 includes the $2 fee. I logged into Enmax and their fixed is also $5.99.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)