Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
341 upvotes
In another world

Free online form/survey creator

I want to create a test/survey for users online.

I like Google Forms simplicity, however there are some things I can't control, for example, there's an edit form icon on the top right corner that I want to get rid off. I don't want the users to edit the survey questions of course.

Another feature I'm looking for is that if I have questions with multiple choice answers, to store the answer with a specific value depending on the option chose, I mean, if I have:
A) Answer 1
B) Answer 2
When I save the answers in the spreadsheet Google Forms creates, the answer cell would contain the entire answer value, like "A) Answer 2".
I'd like to assign a specific value instead, so it would appear as "A" only. Of course I could make the changes afterwards in the spreadsheet.

Are there any other free good and customizable online form or survey editors?
8 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
341 upvotes
In another world
Also, if there's no answer selected for a question, to record an "X" by default.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4411 posts
971 upvotes
Toronto
You can restrict who has permission to edit the survey questions. Try it by viewing the survey link after logging out of Google (or on a different browser or computer on which you're not logged in). Only the survey author should be able to edit.

For survey answers, it may be easier to just edit the spreadsheet later and get what you need by applying find-and-replace or a formula to the cells in question. e.g., if C2 = "Answer 1" make D2 = "A".
Nov 14, 2008
833 posts
291 upvotes
There is a online survey/forms in office365
If you have some technical skills or work at a company that can do it for you / you can setup limesurvey - an open source survey tool, but it might be more than you need.

gontori wrote: I want to create a test/survey for users online.

I like Google Forms simplicity, however there are some things I can't control, for example, there's an edit form icon on the top right corner that I want to get rid off. I don't want the users to edit the survey questions of course.

Another feature I'm looking for is that if I have questions with multiple choice answers, to store the answer with a specific value depending on the option chose, I mean, if I have:
A) Answer 1
B) Answer 2
When I save the answers in the spreadsheet Google Forms creates, the answer cell would contain the entire answer value, like "A) Answer 2".
I'd like to assign a specific value instead, so it would appear as "A" only. Of course I could make the changes afterwards in the spreadsheet.

Are there any other free good and customizable online form or survey editors?
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1467 posts
820 upvotes
GTA
Google forms and spreadsheet can do what you ask. For the edit button, that's only visible to the author or if you share the editing/collaborator link. If you don't like how the sheet is filled out, you can use a tool like copydown plugin to output values based on the answered filled. I made the google forms and spreadsheet work like a full automatic invoice system with my gmail, a very powerful system if utilized correctly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
341 upvotes
In another world
JHW wrote: You can restrict who has permission to edit the survey questions. Try it by viewing the survey link after logging out of Google (or on a different browser or computer on which you're not logged in). Only the survey author should be able to edit.

For survey answers, it may be easier to just edit the spreadsheet later and get what you need by applying find-and-replace or a formula to the cells in question. e.g., if C2 = "Answer 1" make D2 = "A".
MadCanadian wrote: Google forms and spreadsheet can do what you ask. For the edit button, that's only visible to the author or if you share the editing/collaborator link. If you don't like how the sheet is filled out, you can use a tool like copydown plugin to output values based on the answered filled. I made the google forms and spreadsheet work like a full automatic invoice system with my gmail, a very powerful system if utilized correctly.
Thanks!
After playing with it for a couple of hours, I noticed the edit button is only available to the author, but thanks for pointing that out :)
And after realizing how complicated would be to create a function in a script to enter automatic values, it's way way easier just to edit the final spreadsheet as you guys commented out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
341 upvotes
In another world
I have another question, more like a concern.
The link for the survey will be shared among many people, about 3000 people and probably around 50 people answering at the same time. Would that create some sort of conflict when saving the results in the spreadsheet or any limitations Google Forms would have?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)