Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 16, 2003
132 posts
6 upvotes

Free phone line and Grand Alarms

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has experience with Free phone line and got it working with Grand Alarms.. Any experience will be appreciated. If freephoneline doesn't work what are my next alternative.

I tried doing a search but didn't come up with much.

Thanks!!
19 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1296 posts
147 upvotes
Well, I can't speak for using it with Grand Alarms, but just keep in mind that FPL is free and the service doesn't have 100% up-time. This may cause issues with your monitoring when FPL has outages for several hours at a time, which has happened in the past. When the service goes down, your monitoring system may interpret this as a severed phone line and trigger the alarm. Also, as with all other VOIP solutions, it is dependent on your internet connection. So any interruption of service from your ISP or power outages will also affect your phone line. A UPS is a must if you plan on using a VOIP solution. Hope that helps.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2003
132 posts
6 upvotes
Thanks. UPS is definitely something I will get. If I don't FPL what are my other options that you would recommend?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1296 posts
147 upvotes
I haven't used it before, but many people have had success with voip.ms. They are not free, though. But cost is low enough to be used as an alternative to FPL. And seeing how it's a paid service, I would assume their up-time is better than FPL.
Apr 29, 2007
217 posts
5 upvotes
ShinNoodles wrote:
Sep 30th, 2010 2:09 pm
I haven't used it before, but many people have had success with voip.ms. They are not free, though. But cost is low enough to be used as an alternative to FPL. And seeing how it's a paid service, I would assume their up-time is better than FPL.

I use voip.ms with Grand Alarms. Note that alarm monitor connection problems over VOIP in general is
a well known problem with VOIP service.
I found that I keep getting the "cannot connect to office" warning until I switched to premium service.
Since then I have only gotten the bad connection warning once.

When you do get the connection problem, call Grand Alarms and they will instruct you how to reset
the warning. (They have to do it at their end as well. It is quick and easy.)
[OP]
Nov 16, 2003
132 posts
6 upvotes
Thanks guys this helps a lot!!

If anyone come across this post and uses FPL.
Feb 16, 2007
124 posts
146 upvotes
Has anyone tried FPL and Grand Alarm?
Apr 14, 2009
166 posts
16 upvotes
Vaughan
Just do yourself a favour and stay away from Grand Alarms. Google it for they why.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3419 posts
450 upvotes
Valleywood
I use FPL and The Monitoring Center with an old DSC PC3000. I have two FPL numbers - one for the house phone system and one for the alarm.

I connected the DSC directly to a dedicated VOIP ATA. I did not want the DSC seizing my phone line and for $40 the extra ATA isolates any problems. If I needed to tweak the DSC ATA, I did not have to change my house phone ATA.

I had some problems initially with the useless Cisco SPA112, but have not had any problems with the Obi100.

(Disclaimer: I assume all risks in using VOIP for my alarm system. Thanks to everyone that is worried about my well being.)
Dec 19, 2011
248 posts
105 upvotes
fastlayne wrote:
Mar 24th, 2015 10:03 pm

(Disclaimer: I assume all risks in using VOIP for my alarm system. Thanks to everyone that is worried about my well being.)
lol :)
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1743 posts
116 upvotes
I'm not well versed when it comes to telephony and VOIP, but I'll just share my experience with Grand Alarms.

In 2007 we purchased a newly built home and Grand Alarms was partnered with the builders to offer buyers alarm system installations and smarthome wiring. We took the bait. But prior to signing up with Grand Alarms, we asked the rep repeatedly if they support VOIP. At the time, we had decided to sign up with Vonage and wanted to be certain that their system would be compatible. They said yes, and we got hooked into a 5 year contract.

In 2010 we decided to move. The folks buying our old house didn't want alarm monitoring, so they didn't buy out our contract. And Grand Alarms was a PITA when it came to transferring the monitoring to the alarm system that was already built in the home that we were now purchasing. They made us sign a new 3 year contract (even though there should have only been 2 years left) with the threat that we would be penalized for breaking the contract.

THEN, we noticed that our trouble light kept showing up on the alarm system. When we called to ask what's up, they said that they no longer support VOIP... or at least, they don't support it from certain companies (Vonage being one of them).

They sent a tech over to f around with our wiring and he made a complete mess of everything.

It was a nightmare but we're finally rid of them.
Dec 7, 2011
33 posts
3 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Who has Grand Alarms and has had a relatively stable connection through VOIP for at least a year? Which VOIP? Thanks in advance.

Grand Alarms suggests iTalkBB but online reviews are horrible. Looking to dump Bell home phone, however, because of the exorbitant prices of a service we barely use.
Apr 29, 2007
217 posts
5 upvotes
I live in Vaughan and have had trouble-free service using voip.ms premium with Grand Alarms for the last year. My ISP is Rogers Cable internet.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1801 posts
468 upvotes
Vancouver
jacobins wrote:
Jun 28th, 2015 10:58 am
Which VOIP?
The service provider is not really relevant because everyone uses the G.711u codec. Setting up your equipment correctly will make the difference.

AcroVoice offers support for alarm systems, and they will preconfigure your device so that it is ready to go as soon as you receive it. If you want to DIY your VoIP setup, the OBi200 and OBi202 ATAs allow you to configure a fixed jitter buffer, which is crucial for reliable data transmission. Look in the admin guide for $NOJI1 and also $NOEC1.