Cell Phones

Free phone upgrade being given to Mobilicity customers during transition to Rogers

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2015 3:29 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6048 posts
2669 upvotes
redflagdeals.com

Free phone upgrade being given to Mobilicity customers during transition to Rogers

Here is a post about a Mobilicity customer with what I assume is a Rogers incompatible phone being offered cheap upgrade options before the network transition:

https://twitter.com/sabrinachiu67/statu ... 2148128768

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPDX3FBVEAADSuu.jpg:large[/IMG]

Moto E (1st gen?) = $0
Moto G (2nd gen?) = $25
Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime = $50
Moto X 2014 = $100
BB Classic 10 = $150

Edit: On a side note, I just have to LOL at Sprint USA replying to the tweet saying "Come and take a look at our phones".
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
70 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1765 posts
342 upvotes
Mississauga
Also anyone running a blacklisted phone is getting the same message. There are lots of those, unfortunately, and only some of them can be fixed.
Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t15.htm

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6932 posts
7786 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Anyone to take advantage of this as a non-mobi user? Sign up with a noncompatible phone, get new phone, cancel?
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
May 13, 2014
624 posts
281 upvotes
Vancouver
I've been totally out of the loop on this since the initial acquisition was announced, but what's happening to Mobilicity? Is Rogers moving all of their customers onto the RogersFido network?

If so, that'd be pretty sweet - assuming that they're not also moving Mobilicity customers onto Share Everything plans...
Sep 20, 2014
247 posts
30 upvotes
Ontario
Raident wrote: I've been totally out of the loop on this since the initial acquisition was announced, but what's happening to Mobilicity? Is Rogers moving all of their customers onto the RogersFido network?

If so, that'd be pretty sweet - assuming that they're not also moving Mobilicity customers onto Share Everything plans...
Rogers towers but still zoned. So they have Rogers 3G (no LTE) anywhere there was previously Mobi coverage. Anywhere else is charged at roaming rates just like before the acquisition.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6533 posts
2536 upvotes
Anyone else have more details? Trying to help out a friend, an older lady whose phone just broke recently, shes with Mobilicity. Does she have to call Mobilicity & ask for this deal? She doesn't speak much English
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6048 posts
2669 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
HP_John wrote: Anyone else have more details? Trying to help out a friend, an older lady whose phone just broke recently, shes with Mobilicity. Does she have to call Mobilicity & ask for this deal? She doesn't speak much English
Apparently people have been informed via email. I would suggest to try and call in or via Mobilicity's Facebook/Twitter page.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8301 posts
1956 upvotes
Gozitano wrote: Rogers towers but still zoned. So they have Rogers 3G (no LTE) anywhere there was previously Mobi coverage. Anywhere else is charged at roaming rates just like before the acquisition.
So like ChatR?
Sep 20, 2014
247 posts
30 upvotes
Ontario
Like Chatr used to be. AFAIK they made chatr nationwide coverage now.
Dec 3, 2013
223 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This upgrade plan is reminiscent of Public Mobile customers when they got switched over to Telus' network..
As the co-founder of a business dedicated to making it easy to buy and sell used iPhones, I have fairly extensive experience navigating Craigslist/Kijiji for used iPhones, and also troubleshooting said iPhones.
Sep 23, 2010
340 posts
58 upvotes
I got this in an email from Mobilicity with links to get the deal:

"We are making changes to improve our network. In order to enjoy these changes without any disruption to your service, you need to replace your phone by October 14th. We have some great options available to you including $0 and discounted phones; simply follow the instructions below."

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ar3ryEO.png[/IMG]

I don't know if there is a catch. I am currently using a Blackberry 9100 which is old but still works just fine. Has anyone else had this offer or know about these network upgrades? I would like to keep my old phone, but will it really become unusable? Now that Mobilicity got bought out I kind of want to leave. Could I take the free phone and move over to WIND?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20144 posts
9567 upvotes
Oakville
"Network upgrades" = "Switching over to the Rogers towers" isn't it? So if your BB 9100 doesn't support the Rogers frequencies (I have no idea if they made AWS-only phones?) then yes, you could be in trouble. But I'd be surprised if that was the case.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4339 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto
Don't switch to wind when you are getting better cell service through rogers. Keep it that way and just get a used cheap blackberry that will still do you needs. Or just get a moto g or something.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Feb 7, 2013
13 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa
I got mobilicity $20 + $20 add on, the lady asked me ifnyou're going to end up using that much, I said yes.
Now my place is just outside coverage area where roaming zone is, I really need to know when this transition is taking please, not able to do anything

mobilicity is saying months.
PM me if you have some secret info
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8301 posts
1956 upvotes
I thought all moblicity phones at support rogers 2g? I would think moblicity 3G speed = to Rogers 2g speed. lol
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6048 posts
2669 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
lumpen wrote: I got this in an email from Mobilicity with links to get the deal:

"We are making changes to improve our network. In order to enjoy these changes without any disruption to your service, you need to replace your phone by October 14th. We have some great options available to you including $0 and discounted phones; simply follow the instructions below."

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ar3ryEO.png[/IMG]

I don't know if there is a catch. I am currently using a Blackberry 9100 which is old but still works just fine. Has anyone else had this offer or know about these network upgrades? I would like to keep my old phone, but will it really become unusable? Now that Mobilicity got bought out I kind of want to leave. Could I take the free phone and move over to WIND?
OP looks like you missed out on this:

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPDX3FBVEAADSuu.jpg:large[/IMG]

Source: free-phone-upgrade-being-given-mobilici ... s-1814495/

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6048 posts
2669 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
lumpen wrote: Now that Mobilicity got bought out I kind of want to leave. Could I take the free phone and move over to WIND?
Don't move to Wind!! The network is crap right now! If anything, wait until Wind has LTE so the burden on the network is less. Just stick with Roger-licity for now.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Aug 8, 2014
456 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I heard WIND's voice quality has deteriorated over the past 5-6 months.
Sep 13, 2015
515 posts
409 upvotes
YYZviaYUL wrote: I heard WIND's voice quality has deteriorated over the past 5-6 months.
Haven't noticed a change, even when using uconnect still good voice quality
Glory Glory Man United
Sep 23, 2010
340 posts
58 upvotes
Yeah wtf? This just guarantees I switch to WIND. It's probably tied to what we pay monthly. I'm at $43/mo incl tax. I still pay $5/month extra for blackberry data, I don't even know if that is still a thing. I should really switch over.