Cell Phones

Free phone upgrade being given to Mobilicity customers during transition to Rogers

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2015 3:29 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 29, 2006
523 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
Midknight Storm wrote: Nor am I. I suggest you obtain an old aws handset and see what happens after you contact upgrade@mobilicity.ca

Unlimited 3G data ...
Mobi never sold AWS only devices, they were AWS and then 2G roaming. I wonder what handsets they consider "eligible"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
moxy wrote: Mobi never sold AWS only devices, they were AWS and then 2G roaming. I wonder what handsets they consider "eligible"
Apparently blacklisted phones are eligible because Mobilicitiy supposedly allows blacklisted phones on their network but that will change after the transition.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Dec 8, 2008
626 posts
70 upvotes
Edmonton
Probably the 2g handsets ...

Upgrade <upgrade@mobilicity.ca> wrote:

Hello,

As we improve our network, older handsets may no longer be compatible and operate to their full potential where data services may be affected. Handsets must be supported by HSPA+ 850/1900 frequency to guarantee the Rogers 3G service. Handsets that are not compatible with our network upgrades will drop down to 2G network and will primarily affect your data use.

Didn't they have a bunch of funny looking huawei devices? I thought those were AWS only
May 28, 2004
851 posts
181 upvotes
how come some says eligible some don't? what's the criteria?
I have been a mobilicity customer since 2012 if that matters.
I bought a t989 sony erricsson back then
but I have my own tmobile P509 old smart phone ..
I guessing if it works in rogers 2G then we don't qualify for upgrade?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
ndondo wrote: how come some says eligible some don't? what's the criteria?
I have been a mobilicity customer since 2012 if that matters.
I bought a t989 sony erricsson back then
but I have my own tmobile P509 old smart phone ..
I guessing if it works in rogers 2G then we don't qualify for upgrade?
Same with me. Been with mobilicity since 2011 and have my original HTC Panache.

Screen is becoming a bit iffy and need a new phone. But no love for me.

I was recently overseas in the Caribbean and was gonna pick up a brand new Samsung S3 for $125CDN but wasn't sure if the sub model being offered would be compatible with mobilicity.

I'll continue looking for deals that are not Motorola.
Dec 8, 2008
626 posts
70 upvotes
Edmonton
gh05t wrote: Same with me. Been with mobilicity since 2011 and have my original HTC Panache.

Screen is becoming a bit iffy and need a new phone. But no love for me.

I was recently overseas in the Caribbean and was gonna pick up a brand new Samsung S3 for $125CDN but wasn't sure if the sub model being offered would be compatible with mobilicity.

I'll continue looking for deals that are not Motorola.
I think its strange they didnt give you an offer considering that phone isnt hspa+ i remember selling mine asap.
try contacting them directly via email.
I got a response but they told me to wait a week which is kinda bad considering that would disqualify me from the promotion at hand which is said to end in a week lol.

I remember paying $350 + tax for my panache...
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1959 posts
4001 upvotes
Bloor-Yonge
from the list, What is a good phone to upgrade to? I have a T989 S2 model.
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10924 posts
5461 upvotes
Toronto
anyone know a good cheap phone for my dad that will work after Oct 14? for some reason we're not eligible. right now he has the Samsung Gravity 2 (SGH-T469)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
ManCaveGamer wrote: anyone know a good cheap phone for my dad that will work after Oct 14? for some reason we're not eligible. right now he has the Samsung Gravity 2 (SGH-T469)

Moto E 2nd gen prepaid on Telus (cheap to unlock) goes on sale for around $99 sometimes.
3rd gen Moto G for $199 at Virgin (cheap to unlock) is an okay phone for the price.
Zenfone 2 16GB/2GB RAM for $250 has the best price to performance ratio (probably not important for your dad though).

Bell ZTE Grand X2 (no AWS) has a lot of bang for the buck for only $150: (http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Products/ZTE-Grand-X2)
1.2 GHz Snapdragon 410 Quadcore
5.0-inch HD display with Gorilla Glass 3
8 megapixel camera, with a 2 megapixel front-facing camera
Android 5.1
LTE
2 GB RAM
16 GB Storage (expandable)
2480mah removable battery

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Mar 5, 2014
198 posts
261 upvotes
Vancouver
So I don't get a new phone (Nexus S) and today my data doesn't work at all. Merger can only get better for me right? right?
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10924 posts
5461 upvotes
Toronto
dealseaker101 wrote: Moto E 2nd gen prepaid on Telus (cheap to unlock) goes on sale for around $99 sometimes.
3rd gen Moto G for $199 at Virgin (cheap to unlock) is an okay phone for the price.
Zenfone 2 16GB/2GB RAM for $250 has the best price to performance ratio (probably not important for your dad though).

Bell ZTE Grand X2 (no AWS) has a lot of bang for the buck for only $150: (http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Products/ZTE-Grand-X2)
1.2 GHz Snapdragon 410 Quadcore
5.0-inch HD display with Gorilla Glass 3
8 megapixel camera, with a 2 megapixel front-facing camera
Android 5.1
LTE
2 GB RAM
16 GB Storage (expandable)
2480mah removable battery
those are touch screen, and he'd need ones with buttons. he doesn't know how to use a computer or smart phones.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
ManCaveGamer wrote: those are touch screen, and he'd need ones with buttons. he doesn't know how to use a computer or smart phones.
Sorry, my bad. Unfortunately, any options are going to be slim picking.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Nov 21, 2011
722 posts
138 upvotes
CALGARY, CA
kmengi wrote: I got mobilicity $20 + $20 add on, the lady asked me ifnyou're going to end up using that much, I said yes.
Now my place is just outside coverage area where roaming zone is, I really need to know when this transition is taking please, not able to do anything

mobilicity is saying months.
PM me if you have some secret info
Is Rogers honouring the 6&20gb plans
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Is it true that Mobilicity customers are currently being throttled to 0.5 Mbps? People in another forum are claiming that Rogers is throttling them even more now.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Feb 7, 2013
13 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa
I dont thonk the towers have been switched yet, oct 14 is deadline for phones, oct 15 might be the date. then we might see throttling or no change in coverage areas.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
4024 posts
2374 upvotes
Ottawa
I tried to get a cheap phone on my account I've had since 2012, didn't work. Tried on my moms account, who is still using a random T-Mobile flip phone, also got rejected.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1998 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa
dealseaker101 wrote: Is it true that Mobilicity customers are currently being throttled to 0.5 Mbps? People in another forum are claiming that Rogers is throttling them even more now.
You get throttled if you exceed 6Gb/month if I remember.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1998 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa
Is there a way to tell if you were switched to Rogers?
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2014
1110 posts
530 upvotes
markom wrote: Is there a way to tell if you were switched to Rogers?
yes, if your speeds aren't sh*t
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
2093 posts
585 upvotes
Mississauga
Speeds still $h/t lol still on Mobilicty.
petepw wrote: yes, if your speeds aren't sh*t

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)