Shopping Discussion

Free Shipping At MEC - Is it wrong to order just a toothpick?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2015 5:56 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4421 posts
1887 upvotes
Vulcan, AB

Free Shipping At MEC - Is it wrong to order just a toothpick?

Abusing promotions is a great way to ensure they are never offered again.
41 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
963 upvotes
Russell wrote: Abusing promotions is a great way to ensure they are never offered again.
Yep, people who brag about buying a 1$ toothpick during free shipping deals are a real pain the in arse. Same people who would do individual orders of 25cent ramen when Walmart had free shipping no min. Just to trying to be cute.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6194 posts
4049 upvotes
Toronto
Russell wrote: Abusing promotions is a great way to ensure they are never offered again.
That's why coin batteries are no longer posted online.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29370 posts
14870 upvotes
JohnB wrote: Yep, people who brag about buying a 1$ toothpick during free shipping deals are a real pain the in arse.
I don't know about them, but if it were me and someone did that I'd just use postal mail.
Same idea with a coin battery that someone mentioned.

Sure it's not tracked but they'll be charging back at most what? $1?

EDIT: Not to imply that buying a $1 item is the "right" thing to do.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2004
1136 posts
627 upvotes
OP lives in St. John's maybe they don't have plastic toothpicks over there
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
18050 posts
10851 upvotes
Ottawa
I think generally they expect you to order stuff in the 10-40 range, which would be in the spirit of the promotion. Before, I ordered a bike shirt that was on clearance for $10 but was not in stock my local store.
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
Morality police hard at work
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9136 posts
2091 upvotes
Trump Uni Dropout
theguru wrote: Morality police hard at work
TBH His statement seems more like "economic police"

Yours seems more like "Salty Police"? :razz:
Banned
Jan 27, 2015
172 posts
89 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
theguru wrote: Morality police hard at work
Wait until the engineers and experts wake up and chime in on how it's a cold deal, how their manufacturing process isn't ISO 12000 compliant, therefore it's crap...
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
Corleone187 wrote: TBH His statement seems more like "economic police"

Yours seems more like "Salty Police"? :razz:
Nothing to do with "economics". Why is it when a company runs a promo and someone on RFD posts a completely legal, legitimate and acceptable way to use said promo, there is an endless line of folks crying foul? We have enough nannystatism as it is and don't need it on web forums.
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
nomnomdeals wrote: Wait until the engineers and experts wake up and chime in on how it's a cold deal, how their manufacturing process isn't ISO 12000 compliant, therefore it's crap...
^^^^ Lol. True.
Banned
Jan 27, 2015
172 posts
89 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
theguru wrote: ^^^^ Lol. True.
They should be waking up from their racecar beds any moment now.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
theguru wrote: Nothing to do with "economics". Why is it when a company runs a promo and someone on RFD posts a completely legal, legitimate and acceptable way to use said promo, there is an endless line of folks crying foul? We have enough nannystatism as it is and don't need it on web forums.
because people abuse stuff for the sake of "sticking it to ______ company".

than a month later when _______ company no longer offers deals, we all get screwed.

mind you,, I don't care about MEC, but this was a real pain in the ass with Walmart. Sure, they might have planned to close it the minute target died. They also might have sped up that process with the hundreds of idiots ordering random ramen noodles in the hopes they got a free Swiffer or bounce bar.... or a can of soup, lmao.
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
Companies don't leave this country or shut down because of a promo that has been abused.

They close down when the cost of doing business here becomes unbearable. You know, like when unions go on strike every few years demanding rate increases 100 X greater than inflation or when the cost of electricity enters the stratosphere (thanks LIEberal's).

How about directing your anger towards the government who is chasing businesses out of this province like the plague and leave the little guy trying to stretch his dwindling dollars alone?

Financials wrote: because people abuse stuff for the sake of "sticking it to ______ company".

than a month later when _______ company no longer offers deals, we all get screwed.

mind you,, I don't care about MEC, but this was a real pain in the ass with Walmart. Sure, they might have planned to close it the minute target died. They also might have sped up that process with the hundreds of idiots ordering random ramen noodles in the hopes they got a free Swiffer or bounce bar.... or a can of soup, lmao.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23581 posts
5761 upvotes
Toronto
Lol, companies like MEC and Walmart know full well the financial implications when they run these "free shipping" promos.

Funny how some folks don't think these companies take into consideration the different scenarios of shipping free items (i.e $1 items with free shipping). These companies have finance departments that take all scenarios into their cost-benefit analysis.

And there is a reason why these are "limited time promos".

Walmart vs Target - Walmart knew full well what they were doing in all facets of their business and Target was hurting financially. Once Target left, less competition for everything...so Walmart can change their offerings as they see fit.

Abusing "free shipping" promos doesn't put businesses out of business...lol

Not saying folks should be abusing free shipping though...

Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9136 posts
2091 upvotes
Trump Uni Dropout
That's not true, Even economies aren't prone to abuse let alone some company! There are no "cost-benefit analysis geniuses" when it comes to promos being abused by fools

I think Red Lobster had a promo where Gluttony killed them!

They had all-u-can eat promo on crab legs and estimated 2-3 refills or whatever but people were doing 30 refills. Yes 30! And they would camp out in the restaurant and not leave from open until close :lol:

So Red Lobster died cause of the promo being abused.
ji2o0k wrote: Lol, companies like MEC and Walmart know full well the financial implications when they run these "free shipping" promos.

Funny how some folks don't think these companies take into consideration the different scenarios of shipping free items (i.e $1 items with free shipping). These companies have finance departments that take all scenarios into their cost-benefit analysis.

Walmart vs Target - Walmart knew full well what they were doing in all facets of their business and Target was hurting financially. Once Target left, less competition for everything...so Walmart can change their offerings as they see fit.

Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: Lol, companies like MEC and Walmart know full well the financial implications when they run these "free shipping" promos.

Who said it puts them out of business, it just makes the free shipping promo end early when they realize people are just running them up for *****s and giggles. I'm pretty sure that Walmart one got crazy, people were ordering 50x cans of tuna individually to get extra chances at swiffers.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23581 posts
5761 upvotes
Toronto
Corleone187 wrote: So Red Lobster died cause of the promo being abused.
Red Lobster is still around...not sure what you are referring to...
Financials wrote: Who said it puts them out of business, it just makes the free shipping promo end early when they realize people are just running them up for *****s and giggles. I'm pretty sure that Walmart one got crazy, people were ordering 50x cans of tuna individually to get extra chances at swiffers.
MEC free shipping promos have never "ended early"....they have always ended on the date they have stated they would end.

In Walmart's case - free shipping was always offered as a "limited time" in the fine print - no actual end date but always up to their discretion when to end. When Target as a competitor left Canada - less competition for Walmart overall, so they didn't need to compete as hard - including the free shipping offer....

Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6606 posts
8396 upvotes
GTA
ji2o0k wrote: Red Lobster is still around...not sure what you are referring to...
Maybe he is in the west. West = Olive Garden East = Red Lobster I wish it was the other way around, I miss Olive Garden.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9136 posts
2091 upvotes
Trump Uni Dropout
ji2o0k wrote: Red Lobster is still around...not sure what you are referring to...

MEC free shipping promos have never "ended early"....they have always ended on the date they have stated they would end.

In Walmart's case - free shipping was always offered as a "limited time" in the fine print - no actual end date but always up to their discretion when to end. When Target as a competitor left Canada - less competition for Walmart overall, so they didn't need to compete as hard - including the free shipping offer....
They're still around but the promo killed them cause of the abuse

Then people whine when companies have terrible promos like $15 shipping charge cause that's what "cost benefit analysis" says factoring in abuse.

Or we can simply shame abusers and keep getting good promos! It's like when this capable guy was collecting 2 welfare checks and got busted and shamed in the news! That shut him up pretty quick! :lol: