Expired Freebies

Free Shuttle Bus Ride to/from National/Provincial Parks (Edmonton, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2019 1:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
21977 posts
163704 upvotes
GTA

Free Shuttle Bus Ride to/from National/Provincial Parks (Edmonton, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal)

Deal Link:
TD Park Express is running again this summer from Edmonton, Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal (schedules to be announced). Basically it's a free bus ride to/from national/provincial parks near these cities (pickup points are typically from downtown and you spend the day at these parks). A credit card is required for reservations, but this is only to cover / discourage no-shows (you don't pay anything if you show up on your reservation date, but you WILL be charged if you don't show up and have a reservation).

https://www.parkbus.ca/parkexpress
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
6342 posts
4549 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks OP! Appreciate it. Will definitely visit Rouge Urban more often.
With Zoomer Wireless !
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
3030 posts
3074 upvotes
GTA
Kiraly wrote: Destinations as of now:

From Vancouver: TBA
From Edmonton: Elk Island NP
From Toronto: Rouge Urban NP
Montreal: Saint Bruno NP
Yeah, thought it was free to all other parks before you edited original post, and saw costs on the link for other locations :(

Nonetheless, your list made us aware of ones in the vicinity, so we'll consider making the drive to other parks!
Dec 23, 2007
75 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa
Bump!

Bus from downtown Vancouver (MEC) to Cypress Provincial Park is now available.
Feb 7, 2017
412 posts
189 upvotes
This only provides a free shuttle ride. Does the park have an admission fee?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1374 posts
256 upvotes
Quebec City
Siward44 wrote: This only provides a free shuttle ride. Does the park have an admission fee?
From their FAQ
What about park fees?

There are no park fees for Rouge National Urban Park in Ontario or Provincial Parks in BC.

For Elk Island National Park, a Parks Canada fee of $7.80 per adult (18+) will be collected from passengers.
For Saint Bruno National Park in Quebec, a SEPAQ (park agency) fee of $7.39 will also be charged for passeners over 18 years of age, unless they already possess a SEPAQ park pass.

There will be no charges for kids (18 and under) as neither SEPAQ nor Parks Canada collects child fees.
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
314 posts
354 upvotes
Nunavut
i'm interested in rouge, whats there to do there?
Apr 14, 2017
667 posts
588 upvotes
What is the point if you can just take TTC?
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21744 posts
24885 upvotes
Toronto
pny128 wrote: What is the point if you can just take TTC?
TTC not free and much slower/multiple stops
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
Apr 14, 2017
667 posts
588 upvotes
sprung wrote: TTC not free and much slower/multiple stops
You still need to use transit to get to the pickup location, and the fare doesn't depend on the distance. Also the fare doesn't matter for people with a pass.
According to trip planner it's not much slower:
As an advantage, you are not limited to the fixed pickup locations and times. Also the 3hr window is pretty tight. Additionally I don't think you are allowed to bring bikes on a school bus.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6905 posts
6333 upvotes
Toronto
pny128 wrote: You still need to use transit to get to the pickup location, and the fare doesn't depend on the distance. Also the fare doesn't matter for people with a pass.
According to trip planner it's not much slower:
As an advantage, you are not limited to the fixed pickup locations and times. Also the 3hr window is pretty tight. Additionally I don't think you are allowed to bring bikes on a school bus.
Have you ever done the trip yourself using public transit?... it takes forever to get there
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Apr 14, 2017
667 posts
588 upvotes
roblombardi wrote: Have you ever done the trip yourself using public transit?... it takes forever to get there
Your word against official data. At least post a time if you want to be taken seriously.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6905 posts
6333 upvotes
Toronto
pny128 wrote: Your word against official data. At least post a time if you want to be taken seriously.
First, let's do an attitude adjustment here, I was just saying that it takes a very long time to get to the zoo by public transit... I've done it several times and the big issue is the continuous stops throughout the trip, you don't need to answer in that tone.

Second, a non-stop vehicle that goes from Yonge-Bloor to the Toronto Zoo, takes about 30 minutes, according to Google maps
Apr 14, 2017
667 posts
588 upvotes
roblombardi wrote: First, let's do an attitude adjustment here, I was just saying that it takes a very long time to get to the zoo by public transit... I've done it several times and the big issue is the continuous stops throughout the trip, you don't need to answer in that tone.
How long was it in your experience?
roblombardi wrote: Second, a non-stop vehicle that goes from Yonge-Bloor to the Toronto Zoo, takes about 30 minutes, according to Google maps
This schedule is copied directly from their website:
Morning Visit

34 Asquith Ave (Yonge and Bloor) at 9:00 AM
MEC North York (near Bessarion Station) at 9:25 AM
Rouge Park arrival just after 10 AM
Rouge Park Departure @ 12:45 PM

Afternoon Visit

Afternoon Trip: Toronto to Rouge
34 Asquith Ave (Yonge and Bloor) at 11:00 AM
MEC North York(near Bessarion Station) at 11:25 AM
Park arrival just after noon
Afternoon Trip Park Departure at 3:15 PM
It takes them about an hour, same as TTC. My guess would be that the problem is getting outside of downtown using surface route, especially given the constant road closures. Subway bypasses that issue altogether.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6905 posts
6333 upvotes
Toronto
pny128 wrote: How long was it in your experience?
If I remember it correctly, it took me almost 1.5 hrs to get to the zoo via TTC... but it could probably take a bus about 1 hr if it doesn't make a lot of stops, and there's no major traffic jams
pny128 wrote: This schedule is copied directly from their website:

It takes them about an hour, same as TTC. My guess would be that the problem is getting outside of downtown using surface route, especially given the constant road closures. Subway bypasses that issue altogether.
Oh, I get it... they don't go non-stop from Yonge & Bloor, but they make a stop at the Bessarion subway station... that is why it's taking them all that time to arrive to the park

In the end, I still think it's much better to take their bus, because you just sit down and they take you to the park... you don't have to start transferring between subway lines and buses, and then find the park for yourself.

Another possibility would be to go on the morning trip with them, and then stay longer and return on your own... are people allowed to do that?
Feb 14, 2009
182 posts
141 upvotes
Very cool. You can do Toronto to Algonquin park and return for multi day trip. Unfortunately I’m in Ottawa but it may even be a feasible option to travel to Toronto and take free bus from Toronto. Rental car from Ottawa to Toronto for 1 day and 1 day back.