285 posts
253 upvotes
Ottawa

Free Six Months of Bitdefender Total Security 2015 or $39.95 for One Year

Deal Link:
Expiry:
October 5, 2014
Info:
Bitdefender Total Security 2015 is an all-in-one security package for your computer. It provides protection against malware (viruses, trojans, spyware, adware, etc.), has a built-in firewall, helps guard online transactions, protects your privacy, and more.

Comments:
The free license is for six months however the license for a year is discounted right now for $39.95 and can be used for up to three computers. It can be found here: http://sharewareonsale.com/s/bitdefende ... urity-sale

The giveaway is only for about a day longer so you should get it now if you want it. Even if you are unsure so long as you have the key you can activate the computer security software anytime during the next 30 days. Alternatively you can activate then get a spare key and activate on the last day of the 30 day activation period to get a total of 7 months of protection.

The claim is that Bitdefender uses the lowest amount of system resources yet provides the best security when compared to other software according to AV-Test. I'd believe it, Bitdefender is an industry leader in this field.

If you're interested in more information it can be found here: http://www.av-test.org/en/av-test/marke ... tdefender/

Download Links:
Bitdefender Total Security 2015 (32-bit)
Bitdefender Total Security 2015 (64-bit)
Free License Key for Six Months of Bitdefender Total Security 2015:
http://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/s ... wsdeal-ts/

Update 23/10/2014, the giveaway is back.
19 replies
Mar 4, 2007
715 posts
706 upvotes
Halifax
Anyone have experience with this program? I've been using AVG Free for years and am wondering if this is worthwhile?
[OP]
Aug 8, 2013
285 posts
253 upvotes
Ottawa
cheruboo wrote: Anyone have experience with this program? I've been using AVG Free for years and am wondering if this is worthwhile?
I've been using this for a year until a few months ago when I had to use AVG Internet Security 2015 (it was free) for awhile due to switching to my new SSD. I can't tell you how disappointed I was with AVG as it had ridiculous ram usage and kept flagging false positives.

In my personal experience, this is more than worth it especially if you're coming off of AVG. AVG isn't even very good, AV-Test points out that they're only good for 85% of the viruses out there vs near 99% for Bitdefender. That's based on memory but you're free to verify on AV-Test.
Mar 27, 2008
551 posts
59 upvotes
Etobicoke
Thanks OP will try it out
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16225 posts
2896 upvotes
The Bitdefender AV is excellent, but the firewall is worthless.
Automatic down-votes: Eufy, D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2013
285 posts
253 upvotes
Ottawa
JAC wrote: The Bitdefender AV is excellent, but the firewall is worthless.
That's the first time I'm hearing that. Can you elaborate?
Aug 10, 2014
63 posts
22 upvotes
North Bay, ON
Thanks for the info. I just tried the free trial for an hour to see if I liked it. This program uses about 250MB of RAM when idle, and after doing some research, it appears that this is how it is intended to function. IMO, 250MB is quite excessive when simply being idle, even for an 8GB RAM system.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php? ... 3017&st=40
Jul 23, 2012
513 posts
203 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks op, this is my third year with them with these awesome prices, much like nod32 at one time, and I'm really happy. Sadly the 6 months promo doesn't stack on top of existing subscriptions :( . Had to plug in my previous key, get the one year subscription which brought it up to a year and a half :razz: . Tempted to buy a second key just to push this to two and half years!
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16225 posts
2896 upvotes
Nimious wrote: That's the first time I'm hearing that. Can you elaborate?
http://www.matousec.com/
Automatic down-votes: Eufy, D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2010
1148 posts
643 upvotes
Toronto
I use the free Avast.

It's great.

Let me repeat, free!
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1348 posts
701 upvotes
Surrey
bigben- wrote: I use the free Avast.

It's great.

Let me repeat, free!
Yea but why go for all time free software with limited capabilities (check their paid vs free table) when you can get the premium one for free. Norton 6 months + bit defender 6 months + Kespersky 3 months (time 3, when you switch between AV, IS and total protection) means free premium service for more than 2 years and these trial renew every year so technically you don't need to buy premium security at all.

Also, mixing it up means if one software missed anything, the next one can take care of it, which usually never happens when only ones on your list are norton, kaspersky and bit defender.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2013
285 posts
253 upvotes
Ottawa
grayhal wrote: Yea but why go for all time free software with limited capabilities (check their paid vs free table) when you can get the premium one for free. Norton 6 months + bit defender 6 months + Kespersky 3 months (time 3, when you switch between AV, IS and total protection) means free premium service for more than 2 years and these trial renew every year so technically you don't need to buy premium security at all.

Also, mixing it up means if one software missed anything, the next one can take care of it, which usually never happens when only ones on your list are norton, kaspersky and bit defender.
Yeah, that's the point. If you're on top of the giveaways you should never need to purchase computer security. Now as for using Avast... I have no idea what to say to that.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1348 posts
701 upvotes
Surrey
Nimious wrote: Yeah, that's the point. If you're on top of the giveaways you should never need to purchase computer security. Now as for using Avast... I have no idea what to say to that.
No you don't have to. These Bit defender 6 month trial offer comes up every 2-3 months. The last key I had got expired sitting in the email. All others (Norton/Kaspersky) are available all year long. It's just .exe file with serial key already in it. Use it whenever you want in whatever order.
Aug 1, 2012
247 posts
215 upvotes
Vancouver
They are also offering it for mac for all the mac users. With the new botnet that was just discovered it may be good.

It was an offer for grahamcluley that read this article so read it if you want to know about the botnet.
http://grahamcluley.com/2014/10/mac-mal ... et-reddit/

and here's the link to the 6 months free
http://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/grahamcluley-mac/ (ends on monday)

and yes bitdefender will detect the botnet
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2017 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Wonder if I can use this key to extend my existing free 9 month subscription?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1348 posts
701 upvotes
Surrey
hagbard wrote: Wonder if I can use this key to extend my existing free 9 month subscription?
No you can't. New key replaces the old one. If that was possible people would be stacking keys left and right using 10 minute emails lol *free bit defender for life (and possibly kids/grand kids too)*
[OP]
Aug 8, 2013
285 posts
253 upvotes
Ottawa
More keys are being given away right now for two more days.
Oct 2, 2013
447 posts
401 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Looks like the $14.95 deal is dead. Showing at $58.95
[OP]
Aug 8, 2013
285 posts
253 upvotes
Ottawa
DeNovo2011 wrote: Looks like the $14.95 deal is dead. Showing at $58.95
You're right the deal is done though still at a discount. I forgot to edit that, thanks.