• Jan 20th, 2019 3:14 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
1712 posts
1500 upvotes
Toronto
Allen84 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 4:19 pm
Lol Cineplex saving money from not selling popcorn is an understatement. A 1000% markup on a product they buy for pennies on the dollar. It's the most ripoff to us consumers in this industry for years. I'm sure they will be sleeping well tonight. Concession items is what actually props their business up more than the movie sales.
When I went to the theatre today, the cashiers were telling customers about the free popcorn even if it wasn't asked for. It was pretty nice of them to do that, but I noticed a lot of people paid to upgrade and got drinks too. Not me though, since I'm cheap. lol

The free popcorn made up for the bad ending I felt Glass had. I'd say I enjoyed about 80% of the movie, James McAvoy was amazing. Not sure if it deserves a 36% rotten tomatoes rating, but I can see why people would dislike it.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2407 posts
178 upvotes
Winnipeg
Went to Jumanji $2.99, Large Popcorn no butter and used the free butter/oil dispenser, snuck in an Arizona iced tea for each of us.

Not bad for $3.99
Jul 23, 2007
106 posts
20 upvotes
Montreal
Upgraded to large for $1.10 since we were me my wife and a 3 year old.
We also took a Pepsi for 5$ because my wife needed an energy boost because the other 10 month old kept her awake at night.
Wanted to buy tickets through perkopolis but was not worth the risk to save 1$ because we almost didn't go because of snow storm alert then because of -20 freeze warning... (We live in Montreal)

PS ralph breaks the internet was awesome!
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4693 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
silverele wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 10:55 pm
The free popcorn made up for the bad ending I felt Glass had. I'd say I enjoyed about 80% of the movie, James McAvoy was amazing. Not sure if it deserves a 36% rotten tomatoes rating, but I can see why people would dislike it.
Saw this movie too. I was telling my buddy how James' acting was so good they way he was switching between all his personalities, and how he played them to a tee
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4693 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
Allen84 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 4:19 pm
Lol Cineplex saving money from not selling popcorn is an understatement. A 1000% markup on a product they buy for pennies on the dollar. It's the most ripoff to us consumers in this industry for years. I'm sure they will be sleeping well tonight. Concession items is what actually props their business up more than the movie sales.
Yup. Bought a small fountain pop and, AFTER my scene discount, it still cost me around $5. Wtf
Feb 13, 2016
211 posts
165 upvotes
Glad I'm not the only shocked by the price of the drinks at Cineplex lol
Sep 4, 2009
423 posts
154 upvotes
Calgary
No matter the business they have to have some way to make money or they wouldn’t exist.

Back in the days before 3D and all the other made up charges, there was very little profit per person on a movie. If people only came for a movie they would be just breaking even. The way concessions have always been priced is high so the theatre can make a profit. I don’t think it’s ridiculous for the price of pop or popcorn. It’s priced that way because that’s how they can sustain a business. They don’t force you to buy it - I think it’s fair. If you’re willing to help them make a buck buy something from the concession. If you feel it’s too expensive just enjoy your movie. When you don’t buy from the concession someone else is buying to ensure your ticket prices are lower.

So if no one bought from concessions either ticket prices go up or theatres go out of business. Then all we have are Netflix movies but maybe that’s where things are headed anyways.
- Don't support hoarding. Do your research, decide on the price you want to pay for it. Don't ever pay more than that.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3355 posts
795 upvotes
onthemove wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 9:02 am
Glad I'm not the only shocked by the price of the drinks at Cineplex lol
Going to the movies is the equivalent of going to the restaurant or the bars. What are the price of a watered down drink? $8 plus tip? I think that movie tickets are overpriced if anything. $25 for dbox and a night out is over $100 and what happens if the movie is bad? I miss the days of blockbuster and actually going to the stores to pick out the movie that we want. Now it's all the press of a button with netflix and everything is handed to us on a platter. It's not special anymore.