Freebies

[Metropolitan Opera] Free streaming opera starting tonight

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2020 9:15 am
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
6158 posts
2075 upvotes
Is it just me or are the videos very dim and in low resolution?
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2737 posts
416 upvotes
North York
vivibaby wrote: Is it just me or are the videos very dim and in low resolution?
They are fine, unless the set is dark for an effect. - like in front of the stove, etc on a gloomy day
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2737 posts
416 upvotes
North York
herc wrote: How are you getting subtitles? There was no option when played from their website - at least they weren't available early on that I could find...
Yes, they are there and you have to turn them on - see post #15
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2737 posts
416 upvotes
North York
6060842 wrote: Any way to see the streams I missed?
I think they are available till 3 pm the next day, I may be wrong - but think I read that somewhere on their site
Banned
Jun 17, 2010
153 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
Cultured cheapo RFD'ers. Who would have thunk it?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2193 posts
4431 upvotes
decee wrote: Cultured cheapo RFD'ers. Who would have thunk it?
In the GTA at least, opera is probably the best value for a night out. Orchestra performances, musicals, sporting events and concerts are usually more expensive.

Tickets for people under 30 years old are $22, and really great deals on tickets can be had with a subscription.

I started going to the opera because I was cheap lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8553 posts
1502 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote: In the GTA at least, opera is probably the best value for a night out. Orchestra performances, musicals, sporting events and concerts are usually more expensive.

Tickets for people under 30 years old are $22, and really great deals on tickets can be had with a subscription.

I started going to the opera because I was cheap lol.
Imagine if they would also serve unlimited pizza and pop for just a couple of dollars more oh my!
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21143 posts
23359 upvotes
Toronto
Mom bought a new TCL TV w/built-in Roku . The MET app works beautifully.

On a side note, the streaming services were all a little choppy at first via wireless. Router on second floor at opposite corner of house, TV on ground floor. Then I remembered my old TP-Link Powerline networking kit. Set that up and now it is all streaming buttery smooth.
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4477 posts
1027 upvotes
I wish these were recorded from a stationary camera, as though you are in the audience, rather than the multiple camera angles. It's like I'm watching a movie rather than an on-stage performance.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1084 posts
333 upvotes
YYC
sheriffabc wrote: Yes, they are there and you have to turn them on - see post #15
I can see they are there now but they weren't there when they were streaming Carmen on the first day. Glad they got this added because I was trying to follow by keeping the subtitles on my tablet and scrolling along, but that wasn't easy!
Banned
Jun 17, 2010
153 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
Week 2: Wagner Week
Monday, March 23
Wagner’s Tristan und Isolde
Starring Nina Stemme, Ekaterina Gubanova, Stuart Skelton, Evgeny Nikitin, and René Pape, conducted by Simon Rattle. From October 8, 2016.

Tuesday, March 24
Wagner’s Das Rheingold
Starring Wendy Bryn Harmer, Stephanie Blythe, Richard Croft, Gerhard Siegel, Dwayne Croft, Bryn Terfel, Eric Owens, and Hans-Peter König, conducted by James Levine. From October 9, 2010.

Wednesday, March 25
Wagner’s Die Walküre
Starring Deborah Voigt, Eva-Maria Westbroek, Stephanie Blythe, Jonas Kaufmann, Bryn Terfel, and Hans-Peter König, conducted by James Levine. From May 14, 2011.

Thursday, March 26
Wagner’s Siegfried
Starring Deborah Voigt, Jay Hunter Morris, Gerhard Siegel, Bryn Terfel, and Eric Owens, conducted by Fabio Luisi. From November 5, 2011.

Friday, March 27
Wagner’s Götterdämmerung
Starring Deborah Voigt, Wendy Bryn Harmer, Waltraud Meier, Jay Hunter Morris, Iain Paterson, Eric Owens, and Hans-Peter König, conducted by Fabio Luisi. From February 11, 2012.

Saturday, March 28
Wagner’s Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg
Starring Annette Dasch, Johan Botha, Paul Appleby, and Michael Volle, conducted by James Levine. From December 13, 2014.

Sunday, March 29
Wagner’s Tannhäuser
Starring Eva-Maria Westbroek, Michelle DeYoung, Johan Botha, Peter Mattei, and Gunther Groissböck, conducted by James Levine. From October 31, 2015.
Apr 14, 2015
575 posts
173 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
Lol, a whole week of Wagner. Anyone have a favourite?
Nov 25, 2002
320 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
decee wrote: Week 2: Wagner Week
Monday, March 23
Wagner’s Tristan und Isolde
Starring Nina Stemme, Ekaterina Gubanova, Stuart Skelton, Evgeny Nikitin, and René Pape, conducted by Simon Rattle. From October 8, 2016.

Tuesday, March 24
Wagner’s Das Rheingold
Starring Wendy Bryn Harmer, Stephanie Blythe, Richard Croft, Gerhard Siegel, Dwayne Croft, Bryn Terfel, Eric Owens, and Hans-Peter König, conducted by James Levine. From October 9, 2010.

Wednesday, March 25
Wagner’s Die Walküre
Starring Deborah Voigt, Eva-Maria Westbroek, Stephanie Blythe, Jonas Kaufmann, Bryn Terfel, and Hans-Peter König, conducted by James Levine. From May 14, 2011.

Thursday, March 26
Wagner’s Siegfried
Starring Deborah Voigt, Jay Hunter Morris, Gerhard Siegel, Bryn Terfel, and Eric Owens, conducted by Fabio Luisi. From November 5, 2011.

Friday, March 27
Wagner’s Götterdämmerung
Starring Deborah Voigt, Wendy Bryn Harmer, Waltraud Meier, Jay Hunter Morris, Iain Paterson, Eric Owens, and Hans-Peter König, conducted by Fabio Luisi. From February 11, 2012.

Saturday, March 28
Wagner’s Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg
Starring Annette Dasch, Johan Botha, Paul Appleby, and Michael Volle, conducted by James Levine. From December 13, 2014.

Sunday, March 29
Wagner’s Tannhäuser
Starring Eva-Maria Westbroek, Michelle DeYoung, Johan Botha, Peter Mattei, and Gunther Groissböck, conducted by James Levine. From October 31, 2015.
Awesome, thanks for the heads up!
Mar 23, 2018
18 posts
13 upvotes
Thanks for the warning. LOL

What conductor once said, "Wagner's music isn't really as bad as it sounds"?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10874 posts
5989 upvotes
Markham
Wished they had access to all of them (or perhaps they give X number of viewing "credits") because I would've wanted to see Carmen which ran on March 16th.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!