Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Free tax prep software (donations accepted)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2011 1:46 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 17, 2006
980 posts
57 upvotes
Bethel
Very nice software. Not as 'advanced' as Quicktax or the others, but my taxes are straightforward, and for the price (FREE), this fit the bill. I did a double check with QuickTaxWeb to ensure the results were the same. Definitely worthy of a donation. I donated $11; paypal fees eat up some of that.

I had that Medical Expense blip too... line 330 (Schedule 1.) Once you enter the amount you can't change it... so make sure you've entered it in correctly the first time (or you can start a new return).
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
hot_ride wrote: Tried this and recommended to a friend.

Mine didn't seem quite right, but not sure -- haven't double checked yet. My buddy said that it miscalculated his CPP contribution.

This is for Ontario.

I'm gonna spend the $29.99. If nothing else, just for the peace of mind.
I compared the numbers Studiotax 2006 and Taxwiz 2006 gave and they were the same to the penny.

This software is vastly superior to Taxwiz (from Intuit.)
-installs on unlimited machines vs. 2 for Taxwiz
-no forced activation unlike Taxwiz
-will do an unlimited number of returns for incomes over $30,000 vs. 4 for Taxwiz (hopefully professionals do not abuse this)

Next year I will not be buying Taxwiz as Studiotax is now ready for primetime.

Quicktax is superior but costs $40+ and has the above activation hassles and is only necessary for more complex returns.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Chr1s wrote: Very nice software. Not as 'advanced' as Quicktax or the others, but my taxes are straightforward, and for the price (FREE), this fit the bill. I did a double check with QuickTaxWeb to ensure the results were the same. Definitely worthy of a donation. I donated $11; paypal fees eat up some of that.

I had that Medical Expense blip too... line 330 (Schedule 1.) Once you enter the amount you can't change it... so make sure you've entered it in correctly the first time (or you can start a new return).
FYI you can always rerun the wizard to change 'locked' numbers - you do not have to start a new return. Although this is one 'glitch' Studiotax could improve for next year to make it easier to edit.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
sully wrote: Weird. On my laptop I did up my taxes using StudioTax and ended up with a refund of $84.75. On my desktop, I owe $9,910. And I've never gotten anything other than owing $9,910 again.

I think I need a second opinion.
It is very easy to accidentally enter a wrong number in a field and this will greatly affect your return. This goes for any tax software, not just Studiotax.

Try a new return from scratch 2-3 times. And double check the numbers.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Mepoor wrote: pretty sure Quicktax does this now. both returns are shown side by each so adjusting the amounts show the new results instantanely...

BTW - there is another thread about saving $10 on a download for QuickTax Standard ($29.99 instead of the regular $39.99) here
If you have complex returns or serious money is involved, Quicktax will likely always be better than Studiotax.

But for students or people with simple returns, why not save the $$ and also avoid supporting Intuit's bullying and monopolistic practices.
Jun 17, 2006
980 posts
57 upvotes
Bethel
Kurtz7834 wrote: FYI you can always rerun the wizard to change 'locked' numbers - you do not have to start a new return. Although this is one 'glitch' Studiotax could improve for next year to make it easier to edit.
The wizard had no entry for Medical Expenses; at least, none that I saw. :confused:
Jan 7, 2005
313 posts
2 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Last year studio tax would not allow me to transfer tuition fees from my wife to myself. I ended filing her return with quicktaxweb and mine using studio tax. The gov. ended up finding an issue and creditting me the difference. This year I decided on quicktaxweb. Hopefully, next year StudioTax will have gotten all the bugs out.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
The Wizard is not that user friendly. We had problems with the RRSP and interest declaration portions. We had to tick the "maximize RRSP contributions" even though we were not maximizing our contributions.

The Wizard asked you for total unusued contribution in 2005 which was confusing and we had to enter 0. There was no warning not to enter any amount in box 40 if it is provincial medical premiums.

The schedule 4 input leaved a lot to be desired. You cant specify indivdiual amounts for investment income without it messing up with your total investments. We had to itemize the different investments without adding an amount corresponding to it. We also had to manually add additional forms and schedules as required.

I guess you can't complain much since the program is free. But, using it requires you to know how to do your taxes by hand and the little ins and outs required in doing so. I don't think Studio Tax is for a novice. If I had to pay for the program, I would buy Quicktax.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2005
1928 posts
35 upvotes
Scarborough
Any recommendations for this year? Would like totally free, not to have to pay for printing (max 2 returns to complete) ... if not please suggest cheap option. I found Turbotax on TD is charging "per return" at $13.69 each.