Computers & Electronics

Free Way To Circumvent ISP Traffic Shaping?

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2019 2:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2506 posts
1342 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Free Way To Circumvent ISP Traffic Shaping?

Issue
My ISP traffic shapes every evening on sites like Youtube, so I am looking for a free solution that I can setup at home to bypass it.

Ideal
I want this to be as automated as possible. At the same time, I don't want to connect to a VPN router 24/7 as that may hinder performance. I want my devices to automatically connect to my VPN router at a scheduled time every evening or the VPN service can activate on its own at a scheduled time. but I am not sure if this can be done. I want this solution to be as free/low cost as possible. I am hoping that I can setup my own VPN service to use solely for traffic encryption instead of paying for a VPN service as I don't need the location switching for this purpose.

Equipment
-Asus RT-AC68U (main AP/stock ASUS firmware)
-Raspberry Pi 1 Model B (I have this kicking around for a few years now without any real uses, maybe I can put this to good use?)

Connection
80/15Mbps

Thanks!
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $36/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
1 reply
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2947 upvotes
some vpn software packages allow you to enable vpn only on certain software you choose. If you wanted to, you can run youtube only on a certain browser, and with the vpn on the vpn will only be enabled for that browser and nothing else.