• Nov 5th, 2015 8:13 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 10, 2014
27 posts
12 upvotes

Free wifi while parked in car GTA

Looking for locations in GTA (ie. parking lots of big box stores/coffee shops) with free wifi hotspots that are strong enough to access while sitting in your car?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3795 posts
970 upvotes
Toronto
how far is your car parked from the store itself. distance matters

ADD:
i smell something fishy, but i will let the others make the call
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3237 posts
1129 upvotes
Toronto
Just park outside any McDonalds or Tim Hortons. They all have strong wifi these days.

What are you downloading?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12670 posts
7346 upvotes
Brampton
chroma_cg wrote: how far is your car parked from the store itself. distance matters

ADD:
i smell something fishy, but i will let the others make the call
It's the OP and what he's doing in the car while stealing WiFi.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31746 posts
13112 upvotes
This sounds pretty "2008" but this is what you get with the ludicrous-priced wireless plans in Canada these days.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3795 posts
970 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: This sounds pretty "2008" but this is what you get with the ludicrous-priced wireless plans in Canada these days.
well OP can just go into mcdonald's, buy a small coffee (or whatever cheapest thing they offer), and sit there for a while and enjoy the wifi. yes, still cheaper than wireless plans, but no need to hide in the car far away from the store
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
chroma_cg wrote: well OP can just go into mcdonald's, buy a small coffee (or whatever cheapest thing they offer), and sit there for a while and enjoy the wifi. yes, still cheaper than wireless plans, but no need to hide in the car far away from the store
Unless the activity is so illegal that he can't risk the chance getting his face linked with the wireless connection.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2687 upvotes
Vancouver
According to security experts, the latest method is to fly a quadcopter drone with a WiFi relay on it to get close enough to pick up the WiFi network you want to connect to, especially if it is on an upper story of a building.

There are cases of people being arrested and charged for connecting to a WiFi network without authorization, specifically while sitting in their car parked outside. But I doubt you could be charged for connecting to an open public-use WiFi network even if the terms of service required you to be on the premises and to have paid for goods or services. It's a grey area.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31746 posts
13112 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote: According to security experts, the latest method is to fly a quadcopter drone with a WiFi relay on it to get close enough to pick up the WiFi network you want to connect to, especially if it is on an upper story of a building.
Ah yes so buy a $1000+ contraption that can reliably get that high and be equipped to do the job, just to "steal" wifi. Makes sense.
JamesA1 wrote: There are cases of people being arrested and charged for connecting to a WiFi network without authorization, specifically while sitting in their car parked outside. But I doubt you could be charged for connecting to an open public-use WiFi network even if the terms of service required you to be on the premises and to have paid for goods or services. It's a grey area.
Definitely won't at McDonald's or other retail establishments as that would give them a pretty bad name if it started hitting the news. However they may well politely ask you to leave the premises if they notice your car out there for ages (though I doubt any McD's or other retail worker would care enough to notice unless you were out there for a couple days).

Maybe for connecting to some random business but that'd be their own fault for not having any security; or someone's house but again their fault unless you're using some actual hacking skills to get past residential router security. But, I'm pretty sure unless anyone proves you're doing anything criminal it'll just be a civil matter and the worst you're going to get [from police] is a parking ticket and/or just told to get the heck out of there.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2687 upvotes
Vancouver
ES_Revenge wrote: Ah yes so buy a $1000+ contraption that can reliably get that high and be equipped to do the job, just to "steal" wifi. Makes sense.
Actually they were using the drone to break into corporate networks for data theft through WiFi connections that were thought to be sufficiently secure because they were high up from the street in a controlled-access building.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1045 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
Aren't those Quad copter drones pretty cheap nowadays. Like under a $100 bucks from Bangood or other places.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7663 posts
4574 upvotes
Mississauga
I thought the free wifi at those places was pretty crappy and basically limited you to surfing, email and social media. No videos, no "linux distros".
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8738 posts
2624 upvotes
Toronto
templebar wrote: Looking for locations in GTA (ie. parking lots of big box stores/coffee shops) with free wifi hotspots that are strong enough to access while sitting in your car?
As others have mentioned, McDonalds and Tim Hortons. Many hotels have free wi-fi as well. Last week in the US, I used Starbucks a few times but I don't know if they're open here or not.

Also, despite other comments, there is no question of "stealing" wi-fi or doing anything illegal. You're not doing anything illegal in using their signal. What you are using it for is entirely a different question :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8738 posts
2624 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: I thought the free wifi at those places was pretty crappy and basically limited you to surfing, email and social media. No videos, no "linux distros".
I think "surfing, email and social media" covers most people's requirements :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)