[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1714 posts
1043 upvotes

Free wood chips - driveway dropoff

Just wanted to share this:

https://getchipdrop.com/

A friend of mine did it a few weeks back and I just submitted a request.

The only catch is the volume... 10-20 cubic yards, which is literally a TON of chips (or two). But if you can split with a couple of neighbours, or have a bigger yard or an area like a playground or garden beds... This is a nice freebie.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
15 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
1469 posts
1224 upvotes
Durham Region
I would be interested in a yard or 2 in ajax lol
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2964 posts
1540 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Worth pointing out that this is not going to be nice equal sized chips like you buy in bags from Home Depot. It'll be a mix of stuff anywhere from 6+" long to pea sized. Not really suitable for things like playgrounds, but ok for larger scale landscapes.

Just be aware of what you're getting.
Oct 22, 2016
898 posts
811 upvotes
Comox Valley
If you are in the Comox Valley, for wood chips go to Chinook Forest Products Ltd. Address: 3399 Fraser Road, Courtenay, BC V9N 9P2 250-334-4513.

You need a pick up, and they will load it up for you full for $10. They only do this after 12:30 weekdays, and they just want to get rid of the wood chips, this price reflects that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1714 posts
1043 upvotes
User452441 wrote: If you are in the Comox Valley, for wood chips go to Chinook Forest Products Ltd. Address: 3399 Fraser Road, Courtenay, BC V9N 9P2 250-334-4513.

You need a pick up, and they will load it up for you full for $10. They only do this after 12:30 weekdays, and they just want to get rid of the wood chips, this price reflects that.
York region here offers free chips as well. But I don't have a pickup or a trailer to bring any meaningful amount. So getting a chip-ton dropped off at my front door is definitely a plus.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
3515 posts
997 upvotes
The video on their site is a hilarious must watch

[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1714 posts
1043 upvotes
Got my delivery... pretty happy with the chips, but it is A LOT. Luckily a couple of my neighbours will take some, so between us, we'll use it up.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
1469 posts
1224 upvotes
Durham Region
junkmail2002 wrote: Got my delivery... pretty happy with the chips, but it is A LOT. Luckily a couple of my neighbours will take some, so between us, we'll use it up.
Pics?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1714 posts
1043 upvotes
networksend wrote: Pics?

2 by 2 car driveway for scale. So it's taking about 1.5 vehicles in length and a bit more than one vehicle wide.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22076 posts
731 upvotes
Newmarket
I just signed up. Hopefully some neighbours will take some off my hands lol

im thinking of these as more like "landscape grade" than decorative....my wife likes the red ones for the front, so i'll use this in the back around some new trees, as well as a hill where i'd like to stifle some weed growth.
May 1, 2007
400 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
We've used them 3 times this summer for our community garden work. Really great service.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5555 posts
1775 upvotes
Toronto
Would be great if have option to limit to 5 or even 10 cu.yard, perhaps with a small fee. The potential of up to 20 cu yard is a bit concerning. Esp if that particular load isn't nice looking/quality, without much interest from neighbours, what would I do with it...
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2278 posts
1334 upvotes
GTA
If you have people in your neighbourhood who have lawn/yard service, hit them up and ask if they have mulch they want to get rid of. The lawn company that used to service my house still comes to do the neighbours and I asked them if they have mulch they wanted to get rid of and one day he shows up with his truck and dumped a huge load onto my lawn where I was planning on putting mulch for the large spruce tree we have on the front lawn. He said it saved him $80 to dispose of it and I didn't have to pay a cent for it and it was perfectly enough for what I needed. I'll call him up if I need more later, but I think that's a good resource instead of chipdrop which I looked into as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1522 posts
1050 upvotes
Longueuil
Some cities will give chips for free so that could be an option to control the quantity if your city offers it (but you have to get it yourself, no delivery)
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22076 posts
731 upvotes
Newmarket
Got my chip drop first thing this morning. Guy called me about 8am, showed up 30 mins later.
Its a good amount, probably about 1/2 what the OP got, likely more than I need, but I should be able to get rid of the rest either by chipdrops "network" which shows you local ppl wanting smaller amounts of chips, or by my local FB group, or neighbours.

One thing I read online about wood chips that i never thought of, is that you should wear a mask when working with them as they offgas a lot and also have dust particulates. Smells nice though :)
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
1469 posts
1224 upvotes
Durham Region
Got my drop today. About a large suv size load, guy called and said about 5 yards but seems like more. I am glad I didn’t get 20 yards or I would be in big trouble