Credit Cards

Freebies for RFDers changing Credit Cards

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2020 4:04 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jan 1, 2016
172 posts
167 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Freebies for RFDers changing Credit Cards

As it turns out I found myself eligible for a credit card upgrade with tangerine.

Before I get a new card, I was wondering what kind of freebies/free trials I should use before I get a new credit card number!

Things that come to my mind: Netflix, Spotify, HBO trials, Uber/UberEats referral credits

Since this might happen to one of us at one point or another, figure we should pool our minds together.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15127 posts
12210 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
There’s a whole RFD FORUM that’s dedicated to the Credit Card Game
It’s a SUB FORUM under PERSONAL FINANCE = personal-finance-f41/

CREDIT CARDS SUB FORUM = credit-cards-f189/

Lots of good info there ...

But hang tight, chances are very high that the RFD Mods will eventually move this thread there

Then your question will be answered by the RFD Finance, Economics & Banking resident gurus Smiling Face With Sunglasses
And your head will spin at all the possibilities (I tell you the Finance Folks are FANatical about their passion )
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
9314 posts
10868 upvotes
Vancouver
OP I'm not sure what getting Tangerine credit card upgrade and new number has to so with freebies/free trials. You seem to be thinking that there might be a bunch of freebies you can get now that you won't be able to get after your number changes? Not sure what you mean.

Sign-up bonuses come with new credit card applications. You apply for and get the card and then usually meet a minimum spend requirement to unlock the welcome bonus. Sometimes you don't have to spend anything, you just get the bonus right away. Check the Financial Services subforum of Hot Deals for decent current offers.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1453 posts
1109 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Kiraly wrote: OP I'm not sure what getting Tangerine credit card upgrade and new number has to so with freebies/free trials. You seem to be thinking that there might be a bunch of freebies you can get now that you won't be able to get after your number changes? Not sure what you mean.

Sign-up bonuses come with new credit card applications. You apply for and get the card and then usually meet a minimum spend requirement to unlock the welcome bonus. Sometimes you don't have to spend anything, you just get the bonus right away. Check the Financial Services subforum of Hot Deals for decent current offers.
He’s talking about the Free Trials and “Free/X% off on first time purchase/order” things that you can only use once, and if the merchant hashes the card number won’t let it be used again in conjunction with the promo. Because the BIN of the card will change when he upgrades from Base to World Card, it’ll be a different number.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 24, 2016
7462 posts
7590 upvotes
The Prairies
Altera wrote: He’s talking about the Free Trials and “Free/X% off on first time purchase/order” things that you can only use once, and if the merchant hashes the card number won’t let it be used again in conjunction with the promo. Because the BIN of the card will change when he upgrades from Base to World Card, it’ll be a different number.
I was thinking it was something more like wanting to sign up for a free trial, and instead of having to call in to cancel (some places you do) you just use a disposable credit card number to sign up (his old card that will be cancelled).
You could be right though.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1453 posts
1109 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
coolintheshade wrote: I was thinking it was something more like wanting to sign up for a free trial, and instead of having to call in to cancel (some places you do) you just use a disposable credit card number to sign up (his old card that will be cancelled).
You could be right though.
>Uber/UberEats referral credits

Made it clear for me, at least.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
13684 posts
11180 upvotes
Leask
OP there are offers that come and go. One year free Netflix or Spotify via Stack is long gone. I think RBC offered Doordash vouchers this year. If you are happy with Tang, then best to upgrade to their world card.
No solicitation in sigs

Top