4859 posts
2757 upvotes
Kitchener

PCOC Online Course & License - $17.70

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
freecourse.ca
So, with the Boatsmart PCOC (Pleasure Craft Operators Card) course for $25 being posted, I think this is a better option (because it's cheaper).

https://www.freecourse.ca/

100% legitimate, I haven't done it yet...but I have to do it soon.
Last edited by IntrepidRT on May 15th, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4859 posts
2757 upvotes
Kitchener
bonegraft wrote:
May 13th, 2019 12:43 pm
Free is good!

Thanks Op!
It's still $17.70, obviously not free. Cheaper than others though.
Oct 14, 2013
16 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
I've completed with freecourse, received my temporary card immediately and the hardcopy approximately a month later.

Would definitely recommend.
Nov 19, 2008
780 posts
42 upvotes
Markham
so this includes the boat license test?
anyone know if there is a time limit on doing the test?
Thanks RFD I'm poor because of all the deals :cry:
Oct 21, 2009
556 posts
415 upvotes
Rikon wrote:
May 13th, 2019 4:57 pm
so this includes the boat license test?
anyone know if there is a time limit on doing the test?
You can get your Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) in three simple steps:

Step 1: Study our free Online Study Guide Free
Step 2: Write the Transport Canada PCOC Test online with us free of charge Free
Step 3: When you pass the free PCOC Test, you can buy your PCOC for only $17.70 (plus tax).
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3705 posts
1261 upvotes
Montreal
meemo wrote:
May 15th, 2019 10:13 am
You can get your Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) in three simple steps:

Step 1: Study our free Online Study Guide Free
Step 2: Write the Transport Canada PCOC Test online with us free of charge Free
Step 3: When you pass the free PCOC Test, you can buy your PCOC for only $17.70 (plus tax).
So basically you only pay if/when you pass. I guess that's another advantage of this over boatsmart for those who have any doubts about completing.
May 13, 2019
2 posts
3 upvotes
I've been shopping to get a PCOC for each of my family members and just shopped all these different providers. Each one has a free trial to start and freecourse.ca was terrible (so was "Boatn'Bob' btw). The website layout is SO bad, it made 3 minutes on a lesson seem like an eternity.

The timers are there on all the courses, but at least BOATsmart! has videos, animations and audio for a lot of the lessons.

IMO the 50% off the BOATsmart! course is best deal/option.
Apr 25, 2019
85 posts
24 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote:
May 13th, 2019 12:31 pm
So, with the Boatsmart PCOC (Pleasure Craft Operators Card) course for $25 being posted, I think this is a better option (because it's cheaper).

https://www.freecourse.ca/

100% legitimate, I haven't done it yet...but I have to do it soon.

Does it mean if I were to buy an intex boat from amazon I need to get this license to use it?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3705 posts
1261 upvotes
Montreal
dentonic88 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 10:28 am
Does it mean if I were to buy an intex boat from amazon I need to get this license to use it?
Are you planning to put a motor on it?

"Who needs an Operator Card?
Everyone who operates a power-driven boat needs proof of competency — something that shows they understand the basic rules and how to safely operate a boat. The most common proof of competency is the Pleasure Craft Operator Card. You can get the card by taking a boating safety course in-person or online, and passing the test at the end of the course."
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/d ... 33.htm#who
May 11, 2019
19 posts
9 upvotes
When you're buying this online you're also "buying into" the website you choose. As I said on the other thread about PCOCs, if you lose it you need to contact the website you got it from to get a new one. I'd rather contact boat smart, a reputable national brand that's been around forever, versus $17 "free course" run out of somebody's garage in Ottawa (google it if you don't believe me). That last thing you'd want to do is take the course over again (and pay again) because the company you did it with has gone out of business.