Cell Phones

Freedom $99 12 month talk/text plan opinions?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2022 7:12 pm
[OP]
Jul 2, 2013
792 posts
216 upvotes
Aurora

Freedom $99 12 month talk/text plan opinions?

Looking to set up my parents on this plan with Freedom.
My parents live in Richmond Hill and don't travel much, we just need a phone for getting a hold of them if they're at the hospital, drs office etc.
I'll likely get them the simplest phone to use like any flip available at Freedom.
Is the network any good for the GTA? How is the reliability?
16 replies
Penalty Box
Oct 12, 2021
1003 posts
442 upvotes
I don’t think it’s a good idea because I feel like freedom makes these things bad cause you can’t get your money back anyway if your 100% set on it then get the 130$ one
Nov 26, 2020
49 posts
21 upvotes
Vancouver
My parents have shaw mobile which is basically Freedom and I live in GVR, so this might be different for you. Coverage is spotty and there were times where I could not reach my parents. Later I asked them what happend, and they said they didn't get any calls on their end when I tried to call at least 10 times. For emergency purpose, it's probably better to get something else for your peace of mind. Speakout prepaid top ups last a year, so you might be interested in that instead.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2180 posts
1220 upvotes
Vancouver
Went from Speakout prepaid to Freedom $99 for my daughter who was using too many minutes. Works fine here in Burnaby with no delays, no drops, haven't encountered dead zones.
[OP]
Jul 2, 2013
792 posts
216 upvotes
Aurora
Is it better to sign up in store or online? Also Do I sign up with a referral code?
Aug 21, 2004
102 posts
5 upvotes
I am considering this plan too. However, I will need some data especially when using Google maps. Any suggestion for cheap way to add data?
Jun 12, 2009
928 posts
346 upvotes
My mom has one and so does my mother-in-law.
One lives in Etobicoke, the other Thornhill. The reception is adequate in GTA but there are occasional hiccups: mms doesn't work, phone calls may get dropped, sound quality maybe low at times.
Overall, I'd recommend it for the seniors, though that should not be relied upon as the singular phone line they have at home.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4732 posts
4441 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like you already decided, but I would suggest Speakout for ultra-low usage and more reliability. Speakout uses Rogers, so signal is more reliable than Freedom overall.

Speakout's minimum is a $25 top up annually, 30 cents/minute for calls. Using Freedom's $99 rate, that's 330 minutes or 27 minutes per month (ignoring texts, which many older folks don't use).

So if they will rarely use it or use less than 330 minutes per year, it'll be cheaper than Freedom's plan and more reliabile.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2538 posts
2061 upvotes
GTA West
It's just so darn confusing. Here is my experience.

They have Freedom Unlimited Talk and Text for $99 on an annual basis. But that is only for calls originating within Freedom's own coverage areas. If you want to extend that to outside their area, you need to get the $129 Freedom NATIONWIDE Talk and Text. (But that also comes on sale at $99). Then you have to activate that Nationwide feature through the helpdesk or online, or it won't work. At least it didn't for me. In my case, when I activated this feature they made me promise to pay for "billable" calls, without specifying which calls are billable. In fact, I have never been billed any extra charges, although I have used the phone away from Freedom on a roaming basis a few times. And when you prepay a fixed mount, they have no way of doing extra billing anyway. Whenever I check my account online it shows a $10 balance for some reason. Maybe that is the portion of the Nationwide fee they reserve for billable calls? Who knows? - the Freedom reps don't seem to.

Beyond that, you need a phone that works on the frequency bands that are unique to Freedom in Canada. And your phone also needs the voLTE (Voice over LTE) and Wi-Fi calling features. Apple and newer Motorola phones mostly seem to be fine, but you have to make sure. We have the Moto G Power (2020) which is fine, but buying the phone from Freedom is the best way to ensure the phone will work. At least they will support it. At home our Freedom phone stays on WIFI and the call quality is excellent. I suspect that phone incompatibility is among the biggest reasons for Freedom dissatisfaction.

Then we found some operational quirks. Sometimes when we get a text originating from a different carrier, there are odd delays that make the text useless.

And some of the reps you talk with don't appear to understand the service very well, although that applies to other mobile carriers as well.
Mar 13, 2007
73 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
jm1 wrote: Sounds like you already decided, but I would suggest Speakout for ultra-low usage and more reliability. Speakout uses Rogers, so signal is more reliable than Freedom overall.

Speakout's minimum is a $25 top up annually, 30 cents/minute for calls. Using Freedom's $99 rate, that's 330 minutes or 27 minutes per month (ignoring texts, which many older folks don't use).

So if they will rarely use it or use less than 330 minutes per year, it'll be cheaper than Freedom's plan and more reliabile.
Agree with this concerning the reliability of the lines, having had both Speakout and Freedom. Freedom is great for my work from home option right now, as I use it with wifi calling, but out side of home and about town, I live on the freedom perimeter, and I found Speakout better because of using the Rogers towers.
Be kind to receive kind, what goes around comes around 😃
Jun 16, 2017
138 posts
49 upvotes
seen444 wrote: I am considering this plan too. However, I will need some data especially when using Google maps. Any suggestion for cheap way to add data?
I've been on freedom $99 t&t for 2 years with no issues. For data I have Fido 4Gb data only $15/mo.
Aug 21, 2004
102 posts
5 upvotes
I opted for 6 months unlimited talk and text + 2 G data for $99+tax from FM. So happy I finally got away from Rogers. I also noticed that I am receiving way less spam calls. I guess FM is doing a better job at filtering scammers calls!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5437 posts
3814 upvotes
LaLaLand
seen444 wrote: I opted for 6 months unlimited talk and text + 2 G data for $99+tax from FM. So happy I finally got away from Rogers. I also noticed that I am receiving way less spam calls. I guess FM is doing a better job at filtering scammers calls!
Isn't Rogers buying Shaw and thus Freedom Mobile?
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1650 posts
1674 upvotes
Markham, ON
lehmanr wrote: Looking to set up my parents on this plan with Freedom.
My parents live in Richmond Hill and don't travel much, we just need a phone for getting a hold of them if they're at the hospital, drs office etc.
I'll likely get them the simplest phone to use like any flip available at Freedom.
Is the network any good for the GTA? How is the reliability?
I'm in Markha, travel to Scarborough and Richmind Hill frequently.
For the purposes of calling/texing, no issues with Freedom Mobile.

I have the $99 setup on my 2nd phone for almost 2 years, for all my online stuff (Kijiji, cragilist, rfd etc), no issues what-so-ever.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
4918 posts
1398 upvotes
does it matter?
batcave wrote: Isn't Rogers buying Shaw and thus Freedom Mobile?
yes. But not sure what will happens to freedom. If they will be forced to sell it. Also heard original owner want to buy it back. But this is OT discussion.
I had it few years back. It works in my area. I like that plan but Telus corp rates are almost same for me.
Tried new coffee and doughnut. Found same old stale thing. expected bill of six bucks but it was 600 million. Big mistake so the guy said don't worry it is on the house. going back to McD.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2641 posts
824 upvotes
GTA
I live in Markham and found the service terrible. While I was able to connect no problem. The quality made it difficult to have a proper conversation.
Apr 9, 2022
2 posts
If you try to use data on this plan do you get charged a per usage basis?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)