Cell Phones

Freedom’s ping time lower than TELUS

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2020 6:43 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jan 25, 2009
518 posts
135 upvotes

Freedom’s ping time lower than TELUS

I have two plans right now. Freedom Mobile and TELUS. Data speeds are unbelievably fast on TELUS, but practically “doing” things on Freedom’s data feels snappier and quick. Yes, the speed is no where compared to TELUS speeds but due to lower pings, webpages load quicker and YouTube videos also start faster. I’m testing all this on iPhone XS Max. I attached screenshots below.

I have actually tested this in multiple areas across GTA.
Images
  • 0733F1D2-9CB5-4354-898D-B0B92A89B514.png
  • 98CD9BFF-F5E6-417D-BF55-0F4FA63E713B.png
13 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
11868 posts
2992 upvotes
ping doesn't show or mean anything

wind can simply just give ICMP packets higher priority in the queue

or

telus can simply de-prioritize ICMP packets
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
15426 posts
4597 upvotes
London
It’s cause Telus’ Huawei gear needs to send the good stuff back to big brother
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 2, 2001
3948 posts
1353 upvotes
GTA
raviji wrote: I have actually tested this in multiple areas across GTA.
How about outside the gta?
Banned
User avatar
Feb 20, 2020
26 posts
27 upvotes
raviji wrote: I have two plans right now. Freedom Mobile and TELUS. Data speeds are unbelievably fast on TELUS, but practically “doing” things on Freedom’s data feels snappier and quick. Yes, the speed is no where compared to TELUS speeds but due to lower pings, webpages load quicker and YouTube videos also start faster. I’m testing all this on iPhone XS Max. I attached screenshots below.

I have actually tested this in multiple areas across GTA.
While what you said can be entirely true. There is very little chance you can actually tell the differences between 18 ms and 31 ms of differences. That is only 0.01 second. You are not going to notice that even if it add up to many difference queries on the same page as most of them loads in parallels.

What I am saying is that the ping time might not be responsible for the "faster" feeling. It can, but it might not be.

Without a little more insight it is hard to say.
sexyj wrote: ping doesn't show or mean anything

wind can simply just give ICMP packets higher priority in the queue

or

telus can simply de-prioritize ICMP packets
That's really just not true. At the minimum , this result tells us the base line of what they are capable of. Which, 18ms or 31ms on an LTE connection is considerated fast.

Of course. It doesn't tell us a lot. Just because you run one test, going to one location showing one result really doesn't mean much. For a proper internet network test you needs to try several different servers. It is entirely possible that Freedom simply has better routing to that specific test server compared to Telus.
Banned
User avatar
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
594 upvotes
Toronto
sexyj wrote: ping doesn't show or mean anything

wind can simply just give ICMP packets higher priority in the queue

or

telus can simply de-prioritize ICMP packets
So that's why Usain Bolt (Olympic Gold Medalist) is a faster runner than me, because I don't prioritize running and he does? GTFO
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
11868 posts
2992 upvotes
LOL, ok...
MusicBox wrote: So that's why Usain Bolt (Olympic Gold Medalist) is a faster runner than me, because I don't prioritize running and he does? GTFO
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1971 posts
1085 upvotes
Calgary
Could be the DNS server Freedom is using is faster too. That would definitely have an impact on how quickly pages start to load.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
11868 posts
2992 upvotes
LOL, so youre basically saying what I said is not true but then reconfirmed what I said is true.
Sarsaparilla wrote: That's really just not true. At the minimum , this result tells us the base line of what they are capable of. Which, 18ms or 31ms on an LTE connection is considerated fast.

Of course. It doesn't tell us a lot. Just because you run one test, going to one location showing one result really doesn't mean much. For a proper internet network test you needs to try several different servers. It is entirely possible that Freedom simply has better routing to that specific test server compared to Telus.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Banned
User avatar
Feb 20, 2020
26 posts
27 upvotes
sexyj wrote: LOL, so youre basically saying what I said is not true but then reconfirmed what I said is true.
Incorrect. what you said was "ping doesn't show or mean anything" which is wrong. Ping does tell us something directly about the network performance, in this case. The base line latency.

This particular results comparison 18ms vs 32ms doesn't tell us much because the differences are minimal and not impactful. Not because ping isn't useful.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
11868 posts
2992 upvotes
LOL, the fact the OP posted a test that only mentioned ping is all you need to know about this thread.

It ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT TELL YOU ANYTHING REGARD THE NETWORK PERFORMANCE IN THIS CASE.

PING does not tell you anything about latency if there are packet filtering... and which I'm sure both freedom and telus is doing
Sarsaparilla wrote: Incorrect. what you said was "ping doesn't show or mean anything" which is wrong. Ping does tell us something directly about the network performance, in this case. The base line latency.

This particular results comparison 18ms vs 32ms doesn't tell us much because the differences are minimal and not impactful. Not because ping isn't ping isn't useful.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Banned
User avatar
Feb 20, 2020
26 posts
27 upvotes
sexyj wrote: LOL, the fact the OP posted a test that only mentioned ping is all you need to know about this thread.
You are wrong. OP posted the test that mention bandwidth, ping, and mentioned personal test, along with the fact that he tested this in many different location.

It ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT TELL YOU ANYTHING REGARD THE NETWORK PERFORMANCE IN THIS CASE.
No, that is wrong. The available data OP posted absolutely told us about the network performance.
PING does not tell you anything about latency if there are packet filtering... and which I'm sure both freedom and telus is doing
Your hypothesis has some merit. In general. They do priorities pocket that is not meaningful. However, ISP, in general, don't de-priorities ICMP traffic because, frankly, ICMP traffic doesn't imply the network that much. They are a relatively small packet that is not processing or bandwidth intensive. If there are any priorities, something like video streaming would be hundred times more impactful. In fact. Most ISP priorities these types of packets because for exactly this reason: the Internet Speed test uses it. ISP has the incentive to make their data look good.

Secondly, your suggestion makes no sense. The only reason a de-prioritization would fit here is that Telus for some reason, choose to adjust ICMP packet by 10ms, which makes absolutely zero sense. The very act of monitoring this packet type and the overhead of processing this packet differently would have defeated the purpose of prioritizing in the first place if they only change it by such a tiny and arbitrary amount. They have to have no idea what they are doing to do something like this.

Overall your statements are just flat out wrong, and your fantasy scenario just seem completely implausible. If you have better defense besides typing in all cap, go for it, but you don't sound very educated in this manner other then hearing some buzz words and trying to reuse it like someone who know just enough to throw buzz words together to sound smart.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
11868 posts
2992 upvotes
I love how you said "you are wrong" when there are so many variables in play here.

If you consider a speed test done by a single cell phone is an indication on the overall network performance then ok...

*

P.S. What if another person wasted their time and posted speed test between the two and Telus ends up being faster and "feels snappier"
P.P.S Also what IF freedom decide to whitelist all the speedtest servers to be top of the priority ?

*
Sarsaparilla wrote: You are wrong. OP posted the test that mention bandwidth, ping, and mentioned personal test, along with the fact that he tested this in many different location.




No, that is wrong. The available data OP posted absolutely told us about the network performance.



Your hypothesis has some merit. In general. They do priorities pocket that is not meaningful. However, ISP, in general, don't de-priorities ICMP traffic because, frankly, ICMP traffic doesn't imply the network that much. They are a relatively small packet that is not processing or bandwidth intensive. If there are any priorities, something like video streaming would be hundred times more impactful. In fact. Most ISP priorities these types of packets because for exactly this reason: the Internet Speed test uses it. ISP has the incentive to make their data look good.

Secondly, your suggestion makes no sense. The only reason a de-prioritization would fit here is that Telus for some reason, choose to adjust ICMP packet by 10ms, which makes absolutely zero sense. The very act of monitoring this packet type and the overhead of processing this packet differently would have defeated the purpose of prioritizing in the first place if they only change it by such a tiny and arbitrary amount. They have to have no idea what they are doing to do something like this.

Overall your statements are just flat out wrong, and your fantasy scenario just seem completely implausible. If you have better defense besides typing in all cap, go for it, but you don't sound very educated in this manner other then hearing some buzz words and trying to reuse it like someone who know just enough to throw buzz words together to sound smart.
Last edited by MrDisco on Mar 13th, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: chill
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Banned
User avatar
Feb 20, 2020
26 posts
27 upvotes
sexyj wrote: If you consider a speed test done by a single cell phone is an indication on the overall network performance then ok...
Actually, if you read what OP said, he specifically sated this "I have actually tested this in multiple areas across GTA." It is logical to conclude that he saw similar result in other tests and didn't post them all for that reason, but whatever. Believe what you want.
sexyj wrote: P.P.S Also what IF freedom decide to whitelist all the speedtest servers to be top of the priority ?
That is not how packet prioritizing works. Adjusting something to top priority doesn't lower a ping time beyond the base line. The act of prioritizing a packet means they have to intercept all the packet of similar type and route these packet through a set of rule. Which means if your network isn't already overwhelmed, adding top priority will increase network deviation because of the forwarding overhead and make ping time fluctuates a lot more. Usually it end up making base line ping time worse.

Top