Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] $19 for talk, text, and 1.5 GB of LTE data (no contract)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2021 6:36 pm
Aug 30, 2018
378 posts
161 upvotes
Brampton
psnarang wrote: I got this plan in the past.One drawback was that if I receive another call ,while I am talking the other call will directly go to voicemail.
I am not sure if it is happened to me , or everyone who is with Freedom.
Did you check call settings on phone for call waiting?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3507 posts
300 upvotes
Wow, I wish I had this in Quebec, what a perfect plan for the kids! Closest thing is Fizz but comes in almost $8-10 more expensive.
Mar 14, 2014
622 posts
768 upvotes
dcipub wrote: Lucky has WiFi calling, I use it regularly.
The difference is that Freedom's Wifi-Calling is native to the phone's operating system, whereas Lucky's requires all calls to go through an app that needs to be downloaded and installed on the phone. Wifi-Calling is a great feature no matter whom you have as a provider.
Sep 30, 2020
133 posts
49 upvotes
Rockstead wrote: Wow, I wish I had this in Quebec, what a perfect plan for the kids! Closest thing is Fizz but comes in almost $8-10 more expensive.
If you already have a line on Freedom, it is possible to add additional line for $15 with 1000 mins calling and 1Gb data.
I got it this morning, I am in Ontario.
Nov 22, 2005
69 posts
53 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
Hellordfdeals wrote: If you already have a line on Freedom, it is possible to add additional line for $15 with 1000 mins calling and 1Gb data.
Was there additional charge such as sim card, connection fee and etc?
Sep 30, 2020
133 posts
49 upvotes
hhshin wrote: Was there additional charge such as sim card, connection fee and etc?
I didn't take sim card since I use it as eSim.
They waived the connection fee. May be for I just took a phone 60/month with 2 years contract.
Jun 11, 2012
160 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Hellordfdeals wrote: If you already have a line on Freedom, it is possible to add additional line for $15 with 1000 mins calling and 1Gb data.
Wondering if I can switch from a regular to this $15 plan? Anyone tried?
Apr 25, 2020
165 posts
51 upvotes
this is a good deal for a prepaid. Thanks for sharing.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
13766 posts
3925 upvotes
VANCOUVER
flyjazz wrote: The difference is that Freedom's Wifi-Calling is native to the phone's operating system, whereas Lucky's requires all calls to go through an app that needs to be downloaded and installed on the phone. Wifi-Calling is a great feature no matter whom you have as a provider.
So it would work on any phone that is wi-fi calling capable? What do you need to do the enable the feature with Freedom?
Sep 6, 2014
84 posts
39 upvotes
psnarang wrote: Mobile shop can activate for you without any cost of SIM
Mobile shop charges $10 to activate SIM. I challenged the guy about $10 and told him that I was told by chat agent that it won't cost me anything to activate SIM if I went to mobile shop but he said that he was just a robot (yes he said that) and that he had no option on his screen to waive off $10. He asked me to call customer service right then and there which I did. The guy on the phone asked for PIN to access my account which I didn't have because my SIM hadn't been activated yet (what a fun problem to have, eh?) so mobile shop guy put my SIM in his phone, got a message with PIN which I gave to customer service agent, after which he said he also had NO way to waive off $10 (sigh!). He then added $5 discount to two of my future bills and asked me to pay $10 anyway for SIM activation. In the end, it was not a good experience over all but I am happy that I saved money. Before this plan, I was paying $60 for a 5GB plan to Rogers and I barely used any data because I am mostly on WiFi. BTW, I changed my PIN when I registered my phone online after activation. Good luck!
Mar 14, 2014
622 posts
768 upvotes
Rogido wrote: So it would work on any phone that is wi-fi calling capable? What do you need to do the enable the feature with Freedom?
That's a loaded question. The first step is to verify your phone is on the Freedom compatibility list. If your phone is not on the list, don't count on Wifi-Calling functioning.

https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/supp ... --en--0--1
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
13766 posts
3925 upvotes
VANCOUVER
flyjazz wrote: That's a loaded question. The first step is to verify your phone is on the Freedom compatibility list. If your phone is not on the list, don't count on Wifi-Calling functioning.

https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/supp ... --en--0--1
I think I'm out of luck. I'm using a BB Z30 on Freedom. I've read that the Z30 is compatible with wi-fi calling on T-Mo, but Freedom is not even listing BB10 devices on their compatibility list. Also, it appears that wi-fi calling only works on Freedom, in most cases, with phones sold by Freedom, as is the case with Shaw.
Oct 25, 2020
32 posts
31 upvotes
So i ported to this plan for the $35 winback offer from Fido, and I gotta say, Freedom was a pleasant surprise. It worked extremely well as I live at SFU and go down the mountain for my CO-OP downtown two times a week.

I’m still waiting for my SIM from Fido but it has worked better for me at SFU than Fido. I might switch back in the future after my contract with Fido end.
Mar 14, 2014
622 posts
768 upvotes
Rogido wrote: Also, it appears that wi-fi calling only works on Freedom, in most cases, with phones sold by Freedom, as is the case with Shaw.
The compatibility list specifies which phones must have been originally sold by Freedom, I would say they are a minority on the list.
Jun 14, 2017
276 posts
183 upvotes
Montreal
I know you can get a free Sim by chat, but has anyone gotten a free Esim? Chat told me I would need to go to a freedom store for that.
1 spot available in my AT&T group buy: 15GB Can+Us+Mex for around $24USD/Month. PM me for details.
Jul 7, 2004
335 posts
152 upvotes
flyjazz wrote: The compatibility list specifies which phones must have been originally sold by Freedom, I would say they are a minority on the list.
I bought a Huawei Nova 5T Dual Sim phone from Hong Kong for my daughter. It works fine with SHAW WiFi Calling and VoLTE. It also got latest update in September.
[ Hong Kong version is different to mainland China version because China variant has different LTE Band and ROM that might works with SHAW/Freedom ]
( TELUS = Koodo = Public > CMLink ) ( ROGERS = Fido = Chatr > Zoomer = Cityfone > 7-Eleven = Petro Canada ) ( BELL = Virgin = Lucky > President Choice ) ( SHAW = Freedom ) Listed by network not ranking.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6209 posts
5812 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I have it working on my BYOP iPhone.
iPhone's are the exception. Because there is zero hardware difference between an iPhone bought at FM, and one bought at a big 3 provider, and because Apple has maintained full control over the firmware on their phones, you can ALWAYS BYOP your iPhone and get everything a person who bought an iPhone from the provider would get.

Unfortunately that isn't the case with basically everyone else, and you're left with either having to jump hoops (flash firmware, adjust carriers settings, etc), or you're SOL for 'advanced' features like VoLTE or WIFI calling.