Hot Deals

Freedom Mobile

$99 Multi-Month Prepaid Plans: 12 Months unlimited talk+text OR 6 months talk+text+2gb data OR 3 months talk+text+7gb

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2021 9:49 am
Dec 16, 2011
81 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
flyjazz wrote: The 5GB plan would only appeal to low data users as it lasts for 12 months and is throttled for the remainder of the term if consumed prior to expiry. It was in no way meant to be of interest to users that could burn through that in a month.
Aren't the prepaid plans cut off (no data at all) after the data is used up, rather than being throttled?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1064 posts
1373 upvotes
leancuisine wrote: Aren't the prepaid plans cut off (no data at all) after the data is used up, rather than being throttled?
The reason data continues in a throttled state is the data included is part of a plan, whereas, in some cases data is an add-on, ie, $15/1GB valid for 30 days which has a hard cut-off. It's important to note the distinction.
Mar 31, 2008
677 posts
323 upvotes
Edmonton
leancuisine wrote: Aren't the prepaid plans cut off (no data at all) after the data is used up, rather than being throttled?
Their fair usage policy says prepaid plans will be cutoff.

But i've had on line chat agents tell me both scenarios. Same as people on this forum. I had yet to see a definitive answer from someone who was on a prepaid plan and ran down the data. I just signed my wife to the $19 nationwide 1.5GB plan we will see if she needs more data before the end of the period.
May 5, 2014
300 posts
165 upvotes
North York, ON
How is the throttled data speed?
Would it be too slow to use google map and checking emails?
Jun 22, 2021
24 posts
4 upvotes
If you are on $99 2GB/month prepaid plan but you leave Freedom Zone, do you start roaming on another network via Nationwide?

If yes - can you still send/receive calls, txts, use data (guessing at pay per use rates) and how do those get charged, if you already prepaid $99 for 6 months up front? Or because you only paid $99 for 6 months, none of those functions will work at all when roaming Nationwide?

Alternatively, do you need to top up your account balance w/ extra funds (ie $99 +say $20) BEFORE you leave Freedom Zone to cover the projected amount of usage you'd need while in Nationwide for calls, txts, data? Or will Freedom send a bill for the usage and you "top up" with the amount you used after the fact (like postpaid)?
May 20, 2020
18 posts
21 upvotes
wally_walrus wrote: Does anyone use a dual-SIM iPhone with this combo (ie Freedom as voice / text and Fido data SIM)? I wonder if the Freedom line can be forced to connect to one of the partner networks while inside their coverage area (ie NOT Nationwide)? This should normally not be allowed thus force WiFi calling to turn on via the Fido SIM.

Anyone doing can this chime in and confirm that it works?
I live outside freedom network and with my OnePlus 8 dual sim (Fido for data + freedom 99 nation wide text and calls). I must say that when I force to switch to Bell network outside the freedom network everything works with freedom. The issue I've noticed with forcing on nationwide network is that when I go back on freedom network I have to manually change it back to freedom network as my calls fails.

I'm not sure why this is happening.

So it's not a 100% good solution to manually change the networks because you have to fiddle with the phone each time you get in and out of freedom network.

Just stick with automatic detection but then in some areas you will not be getting any service because the phone may get 1 line of signal... And it would not change the network.

So... That being said... I'm hoping for the days when cell service in Canada would be cheaper and we won't need to do this crap with dual sims...
[OP]
May 2, 2019
490 posts
680 upvotes
Kwdude wrote: I live outside freedom network and with my OnePlus 8 dual sim (Fido for data + freedom 99 nation wide text and calls). I must say that when I force to switch to Bell network outside the freedom network everything works with freedom. The issue I've noticed with forcing on nationwide network is that when I go back on freedom network I have to manually change it back to freedom network as my calls fails.

So it's not a 100% good solution to manually change the networks because you have to fiddle with the phone each time you get in and out of freedom network.

Just stick with automatic detection but then in some areas you will not be getting any service because the phone may get 1 line of signal... And it would not change the network.

So... That being said... I'm hoping for the days when cell service in Canada would be cheaper and we won't need to do this crap with dual sims...
Does your mms work?
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1512 posts
457 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
Kwdude wrote: I live outside freedom network and with my OnePlus 8 dual sim (Fido for data + freedom 99 nation wide text and calls). I must say that when I force to switch to Bell network outside the freedom network everything works with freedom. The issue I've noticed with forcing on nationwide network is that when I go back on freedom network I have to manually change it back to freedom network as my calls fails.

Thanks for confirming this! Meanwhile, Fido starting flexing their muscles so that might force another strategy anyway... We can only dream about cheaper prices, and I'm just about to experience what cheap means in one of the "poor" countries in Europe - $12 / mo for 80GB and unlimited everything (1000 min of international calls included)
May 20, 2020
18 posts
21 upvotes
haroldliang wrote: Does your mms work?
mms' are very very slow... so slow that I've quit using it. I think in nationwide freedom is using EDGE technology. And since Edge is like dial up speed, when you take a 48MB pixels photo at 16 MB per photo...it's kind of impossible situation to use the MMS.
I'm spending most of my time on NationWide so I can't speak of Freedom Home network.

While Nationwide --mms' aren't reliable ---as it takes forever to upload them
Last edited by Kwdude on Aug 13th, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
May 2, 2019
490 posts
680 upvotes
Kwdude wrote: mms' are very very slow... so slow that I've quit using it. I think in nationwide freedom is using EDGE technology. And since Edge is like dial up speed, when you take a 48MB pixels photo at 16 MB per photo...it's kind of impossible situation to use the MMS.
I'm spending most of my time on NationWide so I can't speak of Freedom Home network.

While Nationwide --mmm aren't reliable ---as it takes forever to upload them
For me mms sends but recipients almost never receives them. Pretty annoying tbh.
May 20, 2020
18 posts
21 upvotes
wally_walrus wrote: Thanks for confirming this! Meanwhile, Fido starting flexing their muscles so that might force another strategy anyway... We can only dream about cheaper prices, and I'm just about to experience what cheap means in one of the "poor" countries in Europe - $12 / mo for 80GB and unlimited everything (1000 min of international calls included)
Yeah, I've been reading about this. These are like those movies - about the end of the world - where few guys decided to go across the zZmobies areas to get into some safe heavens...where a handful of humans have a quiet/happy life.....
It doesn't make sense that "poor" countries in Europe to have better service and cheaper services than here in Canada....
I have a feeling that someone here is screwing us big time.....and we could not do anything about it for years to come.... Sad sad times!!!! Smiling Face With Open MouthSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes.
Dec 26, 2019
70 posts
39 upvotes
I have the one-year $100 talk-and-text prepaid plan.
Is there a way I can add, like, 2GB or 5GB that is good for the rest of my plan? In other words, I don't need 2 or 5 GB every month. I plan to use the 2or 5 GB just for emergencies, so 2 or 5 GB for one year is good enough for me.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1064 posts
1373 upvotes
pleasantpeasant wrote: I have the one-year $100 talk-and-text prepaid plan.
Is there a way I can add, like, 2GB or 5GB that is good for the rest of my plan? In other words, I don't need 2 or 5 GB every month. I plan to use the 2or 5 GB just for emergencies, so 2 or 5 GB for one year is good enough for me.
You can try online chat to see if you get someone that's able and willing to change your prepaid plan, YMMV. I know from personal experience that it can be done, just that most of the reps don't know how to do it and will likely give you the scripted response that it's not possible. If they go ahead and do it, your current annual expiry date will remain the same, so you will need to pay the difference and burn through the 5GB prior to the renewal date if you choose that option.
Last edited by flyjazz on Aug 18th, 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 31, 2008
677 posts
323 upvotes
Edmonton
pleasantpeasant wrote: I have the one-year $100 talk-and-text prepaid plan.
Same plan with 5GB is $179 yearly.

https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/prep ... 12%20Month
Sep 23, 2018
307 posts
229 upvotes
SanjeevK14807 wrote: Everything worked out great i got it switched on the chat
Also was told the data is unlimited just throttled after 2gb since its multi month
Our old 1.5GB/19$ just shut off after it was up which made me more conservative with the data

Goodluck bud
I might have to go with $179 yearly plan with 5GB/12 mo data. The reception here is Ottawa is funky. Everyday going on same route- 2kms from my home, n/w switches from freedom to nationwide.
the 2gb plan is only freedom so not much use to me. I am hoping that data is throttled and not cut-off after this. Will use top up if needed.

Thanks for the help
Jan 4, 2008
739 posts
350 upvotes
Mississauga
So reading through here again, just to clarify:

The 2gb a month plan may or may not be throttled after 2gb? Seems like some get told it's a cutoff after 2gb, others say its throttled.

And those prepaid plans mentioned in the OP aren't nationwide? If I'm only using this within the GTA, would I be fine?
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4440 posts
7611 upvotes
Toronto
dxbender wrote: So reading through here again, just to clarify:

The 2gb a month plan may or may not be throttled after 2gb? Seems like some get told it's a cutoff after 2gb, others say its throttled.

And those prepaid plans mentioned in the OP aren't nationwide? If I'm only using this within the GTA, would I be fine?
wherever there is freedom network, you're fine. Freedom does have a lot of gaps and holes in its network so everyone's experience varies depending on where they live, work, hangout and stuff. Other networks, you never worry about if I will have network at this mall or restaurant... with freedom you'll just be annoyed sometimes here and there but definitely can live with it.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2017
1231 posts
1175 upvotes
dxbender wrote: So reading through here again, just to clarify:

The 2gb a month plan may or may not be throttled after 2gb? Seems like some get told it's a cutoff after 2gb, others say its throttled
Prepaid is capped. So you'll get cutoff for remainder of month.
Jun 22, 2021
24 posts
4 upvotes
Regarding service on Nationwide/roaming -- it doesn't work with this plan by default, but may be possible by topping up extra funds beforehand.

I recently was traveling outside the Freedom zone and as soon as phone switched to roaming on a partner network, I couldn't send texts, make calls or use data. However, I was able to receive calls/txts.

When I got back home I called Freedom about it to ask how I could use the phone when roaming and agent said I needed to add more funds (beyond the plan's $99 cost) to allow for OUTGOING $0.05/txt and $0.15/min calls.

Next time I know I'll be traveling outside the Freedom zone I will top up an extra $5 or $10 to see if this actually works. Has anyone done this and can advise if it will work?
Apr 25, 2005
951 posts
323 upvotes
P3nnyP1ncher wrote: Regarding service on Nationwide/roaming -- it doesn't work with this plan by default, but may be possible by topping up extra funds beforehand.

I recently was traveling outside the Freedom zone and as soon as phone switched to roaming on a partner network, I couldn't send texts, make calls or use data. However, I was able to receive calls/txts.

When I got back home I called Freedom about it to ask how I could use the phone when roaming and agent said I needed to add more funds (beyond the plan's $99 cost) to allow for OUTGOING $0.05/txt and $0.15/min calls.

Next time I know I'll be traveling outside the Freedom zone I will top up an extra $5 or $10 to see if this actually works. Has anyone done this and can advise if it will work?
Personally I would advise against it as I remember when I had done it way back when, the balance kept on getting reduced (that's likely due to the fact that the phone was switching between roaming and not without your paying attention)
I think I would just bite the bullet and pay the extra $30 and have the Peace of mind for the whole year.
But I wonder whether peace of mind and freedom mobile are contradiction in terms, generally speaking!