Hot Deals

Freedom Mobile

$99 Multi-Month Prepaid Plans: 12 Months unlimited talk+text OR 6 months talk+text+2gb data OR 3 months talk+text+7gb

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2021 12:28 pm
Mar 31, 2008
677 posts
322 upvotes
Edmonton
P3nnyP1ncher wrote: Regarding service on Nationwide/roaming -- it doesn't work with this plan by default, but may be possible by topping up extra funds beforehand.

I recently was traveling outside the Freedom zone and as soon as phone switched to roaming on a partner network, I couldn't send texts, make calls or use data. However, I was able to receive calls/txts.

When I got back home I called Freedom about it to ask how I could use the phone when roaming and agent said I needed to add more funds (beyond the plan's $99 cost) to allow for OUTGOING $0.05/txt and $0.15/min calls.

Next time I know I'll be traveling outside the Freedom zone I will top up an extra $5 or $10 to see if this actually works. Has anyone done this and can advise if it will work?
Yeah you have to add money to the account for them to charge you pay per use.
Nov 23, 2018
960 posts
328 upvotes
Markham ON
haroldliang wrote: Choose 1 of 3 options:

12 MONTHS of Unlimited Talk & Text

6 MONTHS of Unlimited Talk & Text plus 2GB/mo.

3 MONTHS of Unlimited Talk & Text plus 7GB/mo.

For a limited time. New Prepaid activations only.

NOTE: All three plans are only on the FREEDOM NETWORK. Nationwide calling, text and data cost is extra.
Unless I am missing something, nation wide is free. Unless they changed it. I have the $99 annual plan, and I can do nationwide for free.
Think Less, Imagine More
Costco is Bliss
Apr 25, 2005
941 posts
318 upvotes
JonathanSun wrote: Unless I am missing something, nation wide is free. Unless they changed it. I have the $99 annual plan, and I can do nationwide for free.
They have for the $99 plan/12 month talk and text. Currently it is on freedom mobile network only and you need to pay $30 more if you want Nationwide coverage.
Nov 23, 2018
960 posts
328 upvotes
Markham ON
theshowman wrote: They have for the $99 plan/12 month talk and text. Currently it is on freedom mobile network only and you need to pay $30 more if you want Nationwide coverage.
Strange. This is the description of my plan.
Not sure if it has changed for the new one you are talking about. If they did, then that is kinda snake XD
https://ibb.co/3sgGC4Q
Your text to link here...
Think Less, Imagine More
Costco is Bliss
Mar 31, 2008
677 posts
322 upvotes
Edmonton
JonathanSun wrote: Strange. This is the description of my plan.
Not sure if it has changed for the new one you are talking about. If they did, then that is kinda snake XD
https://ibb.co/3sgGC4Q
Your text to link here...
That was the original $99 nationwide plan. The same plan is now $129. Your renewal should still be $99 though.
Nov 23, 2018
960 posts
328 upvotes
Markham ON
tsgee wrote: That was the original $99 nationwide plan. The same plan is now $129. Your renewal should still be $99 though.
awesome, thanks!~
Think Less, Imagine More
Costco is Bliss
Jan 4, 2008
738 posts
350 upvotes
Mississauga
Gonna have to make my final decision soon on what I want to do since I'd imagine these deals aren't going to last much longer (anyone know when they might end)?

So is there really nothing better for an unlimited talk+text plan with data for under $20 a month than the 2gb plan here?

I almost never use my phone to call or text people through my phone (I always use WhatsApp), and only require occasional data use at work/on public transit.

I already have a freedom sim card, and my current monthly prepaid plan with my current provider is up (the account has a $0 balance, but the number and account is still active). So do I just go into live chat, tell them I want to port my number over and sign up for a specific plan and they'll do it?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1034 posts
1349 upvotes
dxbender wrote: Gonna have to make my final decision soon on what I want to do since I'd imagine these deals aren't going to last much longer (anyone know when they might end)?
Deals always come and go, I expect these offers will stick around for awhile. I wouldn't allow myself to feel an urgency to make an impulsive decision as they don't always work out well. If the offer meets all your needs then sure why not, otherwise just port temporarily to Public Mobile or Lucky Mobile while you think things over.
Jan 4, 2008
738 posts
350 upvotes
Mississauga
Even contacting CS, they don't know when the deal will expire.

Any guesses on the end date based on the back to school specials from the past?

I asked them and they said there will be a heads up closer to the time before the promo expires, so hopefully that's true.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2017
1127 posts
1005 upvotes
Refugee from Fido 3GB tablet data only plan. Used online chat to order the free sim. Asked the agent if promo ends before activating. They said provide the order number and they'll honour the special. While I highly doubt you can use this to extend over a month, but I can see them giving the special price a week after it expires.
Aug 13, 2015
441 posts
700 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
P3nnyP1ncher wrote: Regarding service on Nationwide/roaming -- it doesn't work with this plan by default, but may be possible by topping up extra funds beforehand.

I recently was traveling outside the Freedom zone and as soon as phone switched to roaming on a partner network, I couldn't send texts, make calls or use data. However, I was able to receive calls/txts.

When I got back home I called Freedom about it to ask how I could use the phone when roaming and agent said I needed to add more funds (beyond the plan's $99 cost) to allow for OUTGOING $0.05/txt and $0.15/min calls.

Next time I know I'll be traveling outside the Freedom zone I will top up an extra $5 or $10 to see if this actually works. Has anyone done this and can advise if it will work?
Thanks for sharing your experience in not being charged when on a nationwide zone for INCOMING calls and texts (since your balance was $0 and you were able to receive calls / texts).
In my plan (attached screenshot), it seems clear that with this multi-month plan, texting is "nationwide" texting, but it's unclear whether receiving calls in a nationwide zone is included in the plan or not.
Images
  • Freedom Mobile 6 mo plan details.PNG
Jan 4, 2008
738 posts
350 upvotes
Mississauga
eelw11 wrote: I can see them giving the special price a week after it expires.
Hopefully so.

My only holdup is not knowing the exact time I'll need my new plan for. Don't want to rush into a plan now if I don't need to, especially if I won't need the plan for at least another 1 or 2 weeks. Would just feel like wasted money on a plan I'm not using.

Their 1.5gb plan does mention the promo expires today, so hopefully other plans mentions the expiration date should their date be coming up.
Jun 22, 2021
9 posts
3 upvotes
I believe I have found a better deal than the prepaid 2GB/6 months for $99 (ie $16.5/month+tax) for my usage. The problem is as I found out, you don't get outgoing talk/text/data when on Nationwide, it just stops working. I haven't tested topping up an extra $5-10 BEFORE going into a nationwide zone to know if this would allow those functions to work while roaming, but still this is a pain in the ass and potentially costs more in long run.

All that said -- Shaw Mobile may be the better option:

- $15/month + by the gig (1GB/$10 - expires after 90 days)
- MOST IMPORTANT -- Shaw states on their site that calls/text/data work on Nationwide network
- Their per gig pricing is also $5 cheaper than Freedom (Freedom is $15 for 1GB)
- Shaw's purchased GB data lasts 90 days (3 months) vs 1 month on Freedom (only need to top up 1GB 4x/yr).
- Access to the various Shaw mobile hotspots/wifi coverage to reduce data usage.
- You'd be paying $180/yr for Shaw's plan + $40 for 4 separate 1GB top ups (every 90 days), comes to $220 + tax -- works out to slightly more than Freedom's $99 plan with tax, which is reasonable to have Nationwide service.

Ok, you get 1 less GB vs Freedom (1GB with Shaw vs 2GB with Freedom), BUT most importantly Shaw works Nationwide whereas Freedom $99 prepaid/2GB does not by default. So its a tradeoff, what's more important -- an extra 1 GB w/ Freedom (2GB), or Nationwide service that works with no hassle w/ Shaw (1GB)?

Questions:

1. Does anyone know if the Shaw $15 plan requires a 2yr contract?
2. Has anyone used Shaw mobile before and can confirm it works Nationwide?
3. I believe they are just using the Freedom network so same coverage/quality?

Seriously considering switching when my 6 months are up w/ Freedom.

---
EDIT: Apparently Shaw Mobile also has a secret $15/month w/ 3GB plan if you are an existing Shaw Internet Fiber+ customer. This may be the best deal out there for those already on Shaw.

shaw-shaw-mobile-3gb-15-plan-existing-s ... 0-2455180/

shaw-mobile-3gb-plan-15-talk-text-exist ... s-2484748/
Dec 29, 2020
2 posts
P3nnyP1ncher wrote: I believe I have found a better deal than the prepaid 2GB/6 months for $99 (ie $16.5/month+tax) for my usage. The problem is as I found out, you don't get outgoing talk/text/data when on Nationwide, it just stops working. I haven't tested topping up an extra $5-10 BEFORE going into a nationwide zone to know if this would allow those functions to work while roaming, but still this is a pain in the ass and potentially costs more in long run.

All that said -- Shaw Mobile may be the better option:

- $15/month + by the gig (1GB/$10 - expires after 90 days)
- MOST IMPORTANT -- Shaw states on their site that calls/text/data work on Nationwide network
- Their per gig pricing is also $5 cheaper than Freedom (Freedom is $15 for 1GB)
- Shaw's purchased GB data lasts 90 days (3 months) vs 1 month on Freedom (only need to top up 1GB 4x/yr).
- Access to the various Shaw mobile hotspots/wifi coverage to reduce data usage.
- You'd be paying $180/yr for Shaw's plan + $40 for 4 separate 1GB top ups (every 90 days), comes to $220 + tax -- works out to slightly more than Freedom's $99 plan with tax, which is reasonable to have Nationwide service.

Ok, you get 1 less GB vs Freedom (1GB with Shaw vs 2GB with Freedom), BUT most importantly Shaw works Nationwide whereas Freedom $99 prepaid/2GB does not by default. So its a tradeoff, what's more important -- an extra 1 GB w/ Freedom (2GB), or Nationwide service that works with no hassle w/ Shaw (1GB)?

Questions:

1. Does anyone know if the Shaw $15 plan requires a 2yr contract?
2. Has anyone used Shaw mobile before and can confirm it works Nationwide?
3. I believe they are just using the Freedom network so same coverage/quality?

Seriously considering switching when my 6 months are up w/ Freedom.
The network for Shaw and Freedom is the exact same just different branding. With Freedom you get access to the same WiFi hotspots as Shaw. I think in your case the best plan to go with is the 5gb by the year nationwide plan. It's $179 per year and gets you unlimited calling and texting and 5 gb of data per year nationwide.
Mar 31, 2008
677 posts
322 upvotes
Edmonton
slipperyslope wrote: The network for Shaw and Freedom is the exact same just different branding. With Freedom you get access to the same WiFi hotspots as Shaw. I think in your case the best plan to go with is the 5gb by the year nationwide plan. It's $179 per year and gets you unlimited calling and texting and 5 gb of data per year nationwide.
If you do run out of data in the year you can still have the option of 1gb for $15. So if you make it to 10 months of the year you could add the 1 go for each of the last 2 months and it would still be cheaper than $220 for the year.