Hot Deals

Freedom Mobile

$99 Multi-Month Prepaid Plans: 12 Months unlimited talk+text OR 6 months talk+text+2gb data OR 3 months talk+text+7gb

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2021 9:49 am
Nov 12, 2016
117 posts
54 upvotes
Sempiternal wrote: The 6 months deal is pretty interesting considering I pay 21$ for unlimited Talk & Text plus 1GB/mo with public mobile. However, this seem to be for a limited time only and the call quality issues makes me doubt switching to freedom would be a good choice..
The freedom call quality is Terrible. 6/10 times it doesn’t dial the call or when it does it’s terrible and low quality
Nov 21, 2016
212 posts
354 upvotes
abbotsford
DealsPlease97 wrote: They also have 2 plans that include nationwide
So if I get the $129 ”nationwide” plan, I don’t have to worry about freedom’s shoddy service and poor call quality? I will get their towers when I’m in good range of freedom towers, but I will also automatically enjoy Rogers/Bell/Telus towers when I’m out of range?
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15604 posts
3477 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
bookie6ix wrote: The freedom call quality is Terrible. 6/10 times it doesn’t dial the call or when it does it’s terrible and low quality
Hasn't been an issue in WEST GTA, my family member has been with them for years (from Wind days) and 0 issues in Mississauga.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7297 posts
450 upvotes
York
gyggyg wrote: So if I get the $129 ”nationwide” plan, I don’t have to worry about freedom’s shoddy service and poor call quality? I will get their towers when I’m in good range of freedom towers, but I will also automatically enjoy Rogers/Bell/Telus towers when I’m out of range?
I too would like to know this - I have no idea how "Nationwide" works.

Say I'm on a Nationwide plan with 1.5gb of data every month. If I use 500mb of data and have 1gb left, and go to a Nationwide Zone, can I use my remaining 1gb there, even if I'm not in a Freedom zone?

And then I can use unlimited data after that in the Nationwide AND Freedom zone, but it's throttled?
Nov 17, 2003
184 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
DO NOT SWITCH TO FREEDOM.

What a nightmare being with them. Poor service/reception, horrible customer service with unknowledgeable staff, with a sprinkling of technical issues with their website and billing issues were the main reasons I ported my number out.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1170 posts
1898 upvotes
Alberta
thomascook12 wrote: But reception for me isn't the greatest and sometimes I fail to get réception/receive calls and I live right at Dundas West and Bloor in Toronto.
SenatorMcCheese wrote: Call quality is noticeably worse when I'm on Freedom compared to my work phone (on TELUS).
Sempiternal wrote: the call quality issues makes me doubt switching to freedom would be a good choice..
bookie6ix wrote: The freedom call quality is Terrible. 6/10 times it doesn’t dial the call or when it does it’s terrible and low quality
cryptobrian wrote: DO NOT SWITCH TO FREEDOM.
Poor service/reception

Device Compatibility Matrix
You must have a fully-compatible phone for a satisfactory network experience on Freedom.
Working VoLTE is essential, makes a world of difference on calls, gives you access to the extended range 700MHz LTE B13.
Without working VoLTE, you will experience degraded call quality, failed calls, missed text messages.
Freedom WiFi Calling gives you full, reliable, quality call & messaging in any building, anywhere in the world.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3538 posts
1794 upvotes
Waterloo
sonyHdr12 wrote: It’s close to the grandpa prepaid plan which I have. I pay $45 all in for every half a year for 5gb/mon data unlimited incoming call &texts.
The only downside to the grandfathered Pay Your Way is outgoing calls will drain your balance so you need to be careful with long outgoing calls. You could use a calling app with wifi/data (such as Fongo) but it would be using a completely different phone number when calling.
Feb 20, 2018
181 posts
1760 upvotes
crystallight wrote: The only downside to the grandfathered Pay Your Way is outgoing calls will drain your balance so you need to be careful with long outgoing calls. You could use a calling app with wifi/data (such as Fongo) but it would be using a completely different phone number when calling.
When I reach $2 daily for a call, I stop getting charged. I think that grandfathered plan caps your daily charge to a maximum of $2 a day. And their system is kind of wonky. My mom doesn't get charged for outgoing calls anymore for some reason. We also both got the free 5 GB a month years after we signed up for the plan.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3538 posts
1794 upvotes
Waterloo
Gedfrad wrote: When I reach $2 daily for a call, I stop getting charged. I think that grandfathered plan caps your daily charge to a maximum of $2 a day. And their system is kind of wonky. My mom doesn't get charged for outgoing calls anymore for some reason. We also both got the free 5 GB a month years after we signed up for the plan.
I actually forgot about that $2 cap. Do you get a text message notifying you when you've reached the $2 cap? I vaguely remember getting that years ago but not in a long time. It's possible that I just haven't made long outgoing calls though (used to use Hangouts until recently which used my actual number but unfortunately they scrapped that feature). If the $2 cap is always applied then that's awesome since I don't often make outgoing calls but it's good to know it won't drain my balance to 0.
And yeah the 5GB per month just seemed to randomly appear to most people with this grandfathered plan...no complaints here!
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4440 posts
7610 upvotes
Toronto
Sempiternal wrote: The 6 months deal is pretty interesting considering I pay 21$ for unlimited Talk & Text plus 1GB/mo with public mobile. However, this seem to be for a limited time only and the call quality issues makes me doubt switching to freedom would be a good choice..
I'm assuming it gets grandfathered for renewals.
Feb 20, 2018
181 posts
1760 upvotes
crystallight wrote: I actually forgot about that $2 cap. Do you get a text message notifying you when you've reached the $2 cap? I vaguely remember getting that years ago but not in a long time. It's possible that I just haven't made long outgoing calls though (used to use Hangouts until recently which used my actual number but unfortunately they scrapped that feature). If the $2 cap is always applied then that's awesome since I don't often make outgoing calls but it's good to know it won't drain my balance to 0.
And yeah the 5GB per month just seemed to randomly appear to most people with this grandfathered plan...no complaints here!
I didn't receive a message when I reached my $2 cap, so I don't think they send out a text message anymore. I had to log into my account the next day to confirm that I didn't get charged more than $2 since I rarely made such long calls before. I was creeping up to the $500 balance limit, so I started making more outgoing calls than before. But if you're not in a Freedom home zone, you'll probably continue to get charged even after reaching $2.

As for the free data, my mom gets charged a few cents once in a while for her usage for some reason.
Oct 18, 2007
529 posts
496 upvotes
Toronto
weedb0y wrote: Hasn't been an issue in WEST GTA, my family member has been with them for years (from Wind days) and 0 issues in Mississauga.
Same thing when i was in mississauga. Now in brampton and no issues.
Apr 25, 2005
951 posts
322 upvotes
They must have jacked up the price because I'm next to positive that the $99 annual plan was Nationwide coverage including partner networks (roaming) as opposed to freedom mobile coverage only. It seems like the new price is $129.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1313 posts
799 upvotes
Waterloo
wally_walrus wrote: Does anyone use a dual-SIM iPhone with this combo (ie Freedom as voice / text and Fido data SIM)? I wonder if the Freedom line can be forced to connect to one of the partner networks while inside their coverage area (ie NOT Nationwide)? This should normally not be allowed thus force WiFi calling to turn on via the Fido SIM.

Anyone doing can this chime in and confirm that it works?
I use this exact combo - Freedom eSIM and Fido tablet plan physical SIM in an iPhone 11. I just fiddled around with the network settings but was only able to toggle to other Nationwide connections, so it unfortunately doesn’t force WiFi calling.

That said, in Kitchener-Waterloo and driving around the area I’ve not had any issues with connections or quality on Freedom. VoLTE calls are clear and connect quickly, and the network is about the same as Fido as far as I’ve noticed. Here’s a snapshot, but of course YMMV depending on where you are:
EF2BD545-8D78-45C2-A508-F0FDB5DF1FEB.jpeg
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1064 posts
1373 upvotes
pjw918 wrote:

Device Compatibility Matrix
You must have a fully-compatible phone for a satisfactory network experience on Freedom.
Working VoLTE is essential, makes a world of difference on calls, gives you access to the extended range 700MHz LTE B13.
Without working VoLTE, you will experience degraded call quality, failed calls, missed text messages.
Freedom WiFi Calling gives you full, reliable, quality call & messaging in any building, anywhere in the world.
It's absolutely true that you need to use a compatible phone with Freedom in order to have a satisfactory experience. I tried the now $179 plan ( was $199 ) for a year using an iPhone 6s and never had an issue. Unfortunately, I don't use my phone much as I only consume about 25MB of data/month and most of my calls are incoming. I switched to Public Mobile's $15 plan with auto-pay which brings it down to $13.
The current $179 plan with 5GB is throttled after all the high-speed data is consumed. If you still want high-speed data you'll need to purchase a $15/GB add-on which is valid for 30 days.
theshowman wrote: They must have jacked up the price because I'm next to positive that the $99 annual plan was Nationwide coverage including partner networks (roaming) as opposed to freedom mobile coverage only. It seems like the new price is $129.
Not your imagination, it was indeed originally $99 for the Nationwide calling and text plan when it was introduced, then increased to $129, then afterwards for a number of months offered again at $99 only for new sign-ups.
Nov 21, 2016
212 posts
354 upvotes
abbotsford
theshowman wrote: They must have jacked up the price because I'm next to positive that the $99 annual plan was Nationwide coverage including partner networks (roaming) as opposed to freedom mobile coverage only. It seems like the new price is $129.
flyjazz wrote:
Not your imagination, it was indeed originally $99 for the Nationwide calling and text plan when it was introduced, then increased to $129, then afterwards for a number of months offered again at $99 only for new sign-ups.
It seems both of you may have some experience with freedom. Can you speak on Freedom’s “nationwide” service and reception?

I asked this earlier in this thread: So if I get the $129 ”nationwide” plan, I don’t have to worry about freedom’s shoddy service and poor call quality? I will get their towers when I’m in good range of freedom towers, but I will also automatically switch over to Rogers/Bell/Telus towers when I’m out of range?
Jun 17, 2018
383 posts
747 upvotes
In somewhat related news: https://www.pcmag.com/news/in-canada-on ... um-auction
Shaw opted out of this auction, which means it's not going to have the airwaves for Freedom Mobile to be an independent, fourth national carrier in the era of 5G. The company is currently trying to merge with Rogers, but Videotron has also said it would like Freedom Mobile's assets. (More below on how Shaw could keep offering competitive service, if it wanted to.)
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1170 posts
1898 upvotes
Alberta
gyggyg wrote: I asked this earlier in this thread: So if I get the $129 ”nationwide” plan, I don’t have to worry about freedom’s shoddy service and poor call quality?
I will get their towers when I’m in good range of freedom towers, but I will also automatically switch over to Rogers/Bell/Telus towers when I’m out of range?

If you're using a fully compatible device you won't have to worry about 'shoddy service and poor call quality'.
You will automatically switch over to a roaming partners' network when away from Freedom coverage.
When roaming on RBT networks, you will not have access to VoLTE (thank RBT).

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)