Expired Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] AB/BC - Cable Home Internet - $55/month, 150Mbps down, 15Mbps up

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2019 10:57 am
[OP]
Oct 26, 2016
89 posts
52 upvotes

[Freedom Mobile] AB/BC - Cable Home Internet - $55/month, 150Mbps down, 15Mbps up

Deal Link:
Freedom mobile is currently offering their home internet to "New" Shaw customers. The deal has a requirement of being on a plan with freedom mobile on minimum $40/month plan with auto payments turned on.

The "New" Shaw customers is what they told me when I called them but when I went into store, they gave me a modem/router as an existing Shaw customer. From there I just cancelled my existing Shaw service and switched over to using Freedom's by plugging in their modem/router.

I haven't done any sort of performance testing but I am told they use Shaw's cable lines meaning the service should be reasonable.

I should mention that this promotion does not require 2 year term to sign up, and is on a month to month basis. In other words, it can be cancelled at any time.
Last edited by theogplug on Dec 11th, 2019 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2714 posts
1710 upvotes
GVRD
Just another way of bundling your service, I would think they give you an LTE modem when I read the title.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2016
89 posts
52 upvotes
True, but Shaw and Telus month to month in the west coast contracts are terrible. In other words, $110/month for 300mbps down, 15 mbps up.

This freedom deal is month to month and not on a 2 year term. As a side note, I've updated the tile to include 'Cable Home Internet'.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7594 posts
5081 upvotes
Canada
I would like to see atleast 30mbps upload. Shaw is very skimpy on upload speeds
Dec 16, 2012
29 posts
6 upvotes
CALGARY
Sounds interesting. Can you post a screen shot of your speed test?
Jan 2, 2017
402 posts
557 upvotes
theogplug wrote: I should mention that this promotion does not require 2 year term to sign up, and is on a month to month basis. In other words, it can be cancelled at any time.
Which also means they can bump your price at any time too :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2714 posts
1710 upvotes
GVRD
if you are paying attention to "thedealsguy", he has posted a Shaw and Telus internet deals. I think if the moment is right, jumping back and forth between them is not a bad idea as they are hungry for new clients.
Feb 4, 2017
296 posts
357 upvotes
patroniton wrote: Which also means they can bump your price at any time too :rolleyes:
They haven't done it for mobile plans so I don't expect it for internet.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2016
89 posts
52 upvotes
powerbars wrote: Sounds interesting. Can you post a screen shot of your speed test?
I can once I am home.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3849 posts
2402 upvotes
Vancouver
theogplug wrote: True, but Shaw and Telus month to month in the west coast contracts are terrible. In other words, $110/month for 300mbps down, 15 mbps up.

This freedom deal is month to month and not on a 2 year term. As a side note, I've updated the tile to include 'Cable Home Internet'.
You could always go reseller route or just play the contract game with Shaw. I mean this price is better than shaw month to month but it’s not any better than what resellers offer and those also don’t expiry after 2 years. I think some increase their price by $10 after 2 years but if you threaten to leave, they will probably keep the price for life/till you leave. Even with the $10 increase it’s almost the same as this price anyways and you save during the first 2 years.

Personally I’m playing the contract game with Shaw because resellers didnt offer speeds above 300 (at least they didn’t when I wanted a speed upgrade).
Aug 21, 2016
353 posts
485 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Paigne wrote: You could always go reseller route or just play the contract game with Shaw. I mean this price is better than shaw month to month but it’s not any better than what resellers offer and those also don’t expiry after 2 years. I think some increase their price by $10 after 2 years but if you threaten to leave, they will probably keep the price for life/till you leave. Even with the $10 increase it’s almost the same as this price anyways and you save during the first 2 years.

Personally I’m playing the contract game with Shaw because resellers didnt offer speeds above 300 (at least they didn’t when I wanted a speed upgrade).

https://www.can-com.com/Bundles/Interne ... ne-Bundles
RFD Effect Is Real
[OP]
Oct 26, 2016
89 posts
52 upvotes
max011 wrote: ROFL.... Long are gone days of cheap Wind services...

Even Fido is way cheaper then this..:

fido-fido-home-internet-half-price-year-2332699/
I don't think that exists for AB/BC?
Paigne wrote: You could always go reseller route or just play the contract game with Shaw. I mean this price is better than shaw month to month but it’s not any better than what resellers offer and those also don’t expiry after 2 years. I think some increase their price by $10 after 2 years but if you threaten to leave, they will probably keep the price for life/till you leave. Even with the $10 increase it’s almost the same as this price anyways and you save during the first 2 years.

I was getting super frustrated with playing the contracts game, I think we keep this for now and switch if something better comes up (maybe fido home internet for AB/BC?)
Jan 17, 2017
75 posts
30 upvotes
Shaw literally had the $53 per month with 400 credit during black Friday. 300/15 speed. I don't know if this is a deal even.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2016
89 posts
52 upvotes
powerbars wrote: Sounds interesting. Can you post a screen shot of your speed test?
Hey, the speed test is as follows:
speedtest.jpg