111 posts
183 upvotes
Vancouver
So this is not for new customers right ? skip then : (
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
5901 posts
5116 upvotes
uoboy0 wrote: Does any one the detail specs for this S20FE? Ram size, CPU type...
redflagdealsguy wrote: Lower resolution screen, but still retina IMO.

RAM is reduced from 12GB (North America S20 5G) to 6GB (North America FE).

Everything about this phone is great, but I'm in the small minority that can't do 6GB of RAM. For most people, this is a great phone, at a great price, with a top-shelf processor. I would get an app to monitor your ram usage in the top bar, however.

God bless.
It's not a Retina display, that's on iPhones.

The S20FE 5G has a Super Amoled 1080×2400 display with HDR10 and 120hz.

Here's a link to the full specs which will vary a little from variant to variant and country to country https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s ... -10377.php
[OP]
Feb 28, 2012
999 posts
1566 upvotes
Alberta
redflagdealsguy wrote: Did they change their bands since WIND? WIND was complete garbage back [in the day]..
redflagdealsguy wrote: So... same as WIND then.
LOL
No, not the same as WIND.
Shaw has poured money into network upgrades.
Deployment of 700MHz Band 13 has made quite a difference.
Most recently Shaw spent $482M on 600MHz Band 71 spectrum.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15427 posts
16626 upvotes
Gtaphotog wrote: It's not a Retina display, that's on iPhones.
Let's not parse words, the PPI puts the FE into what was considered 'retina' range on iPhones. 'Retina' is shorthand to convey that meaning.
The S20FE 5G has a Super Amoled 1080×2400 display with HDR10 and 120hz.
This feels like Snopes saying 'no, but yes'. I don't disagree.
Here's a link to the full specs which will vary a little from variant to variant and country to country https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s ... -10377.php
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1402 posts
547 upvotes
John8graz wrote: Can't beat their device prices. But that 20GB data isn't usable if most of the time there is no network coverage. I'm currently with Freedom and most of the time if you are inside a building Freedom doesn't have signal or lost its signal. Mind you that this is in Metro Vancouver.
Been with them since 2012. It's very YMMV and for me it's been fine and I understand the limitations. What's helpful is the ability to roam on other networks without additional fees. Though it doesn't happen often for my usage, it's nice to have especially going to interior BC or the US. Also, I've noticed some network improvements. For example, the most notable for me was Costco's around the lower mainland having coverage.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15427 posts
16626 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: LOL
No, not the same as WIND.
Shaw has poured money into network upgrades.
Deployment of 700MHz Band 13 has made quite a difference.
Most recently Shaw spent $482M on 600MHz Band 71 spectrum.
Let's be fair, I think Band 13 is the game changer if properly rolled out.

Here's a detailed assessment.

============
Pros
Works pretty good if you’re in city centres

4G LTE seems to be working well in city centres

Price for the coverage is great if you rarely go outside of the Home area

December 2017: TTC Subway Platform & Some Tunnel Coverage – Seriously? Yes! – Freedom Mobile now works on every single TTC subway platform, including new line 1 extension platforms. It also works in the tunnel on the Yonge line between Bloor Street and King Street as well as from around the new Downsview Park station all the way north to the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre station!

Cons
If you travel between city centres i.e. Toronto to Ottawa there will be dead zones and roaming charges in between the two cities

Go to the cottage often? Or Blue Mountain? Good luck getting reception

4G LTE network still needs work outside of the city centres

According to the Freedom Mobile website, over 1.3 million Canadians will get access to fast LTE data in 2019.

In addition, they’ve also started to push their roll out of Extended LTE which is their Band 13 LTE (700MHZ low-band spectrum).

What Extended LTE means is you should get stronger coverage in areas where you currently get just ok coverage as this spectrum has a better ability to penetrate walls.

This should also help Freedom expand their network further. Extended LTE is available in the GTA – if you’ve noticed a difference let us know in the comments below!

Recommendation
Great for those who want large amounts of data
Good for those who are usually in the city/close to the core
Cheaper than the big 3 (on a straight up plan for plan basis)

Any downsides? Who is Freedom Not For?
If you spend a lot of time at the cottage or in rural areas
if you’re on the road a lot travelling between larger cities and smaller towns
If reception is imperative to your job function, such as for salespeople where a missed call can be detrimental
Source: https://techdaily.ca/mobile/carriers/fr ... le/review/
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
5901 posts
5116 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Let's not parse words, the PPI puts the FE into what was considered 'retina' range on iPhones. 'Retina' is shorthand to convey that meaning.
This feels like Snopes saying 'no, but yes'. I don't disagree.
For 99% of people familiar with smartphones when the word retina is used they think of the iPhones retina display and when the word(s) Super Amoled is used it's almost always Samsung display, no one reason not to use the correct terms to correlate with the correct devices to lessen the confusion.

While iPhones displays are pretty damn good they can't be compared to the latest Amoleds from Samsung… even though both displays are produced by Samsung. I have the iPhone SE² and Note20U so obviously the size difference is ridiculous in comparison but you can see the differences in display technology on both.
Nov 30, 2016
802 posts
969 upvotes
Mississauga
Drewst18 wrote: I just got an s10 from freedom on Tuesday, should I bring it back for this deal?
I would. You're still within the return window. New is usually better.
NavieM wrote: Can’t stand their service but upvoted cause the deal is actually really good

If only the regular carriers could have promos like this
This is the sentiment I am hoping most people will adopt. Instead of bashing Freedom, acknowledge what they are doing for the market. In some high population areas, they've got good service if not great. With deals like this, they've been chipping away at the Big 3's user base and this has been forcing them to respond with targeted promos. Everyone is coming out on top with Freedom mobile. So my stand has always been "If the deal is suitable for you, grab it! If it isn't, don't stand in other people's way by downvoting and thread-crapping!" These guys are doing us all a solid.
777canadian wrote: Why can`t we wait for black Friday which is merely a month away....
You can, but there's no telling what deals will be available then.
d1ulove3 wrote: I have no issue using Freedom, I think that inside the building no signal issue is YMMV.
VoWiFi has helped ameliorate this for a lot of people.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15427 posts
16626 upvotes
Gtaphotog wrote: For 99% of people familiar with smartphones when the word retina is used they think of the iPhones retina display and when the word(s) Super Amoled is used it's almost always Samsung display, no one reason not to use the correct terms to correlate with the correct devices to lessen the confusion.

While iPhones displays are pretty damn good they can't be compared to the latest Amoleds from Samsung… even though both displays are produced by Samsung. I have the iPhone SE² and Note20U so obviously the size difference is ridiculous in comparison but you can see the differences in display technology on both.
This is just a semantics argument now, in my circle this word transcends Apple to mean higher PPI displays at large. However, to each their own.

The rest of your analysis deviates from PPI to discuss other tangentially-related items.

I say this with maximum respect, as you're nonetheless providing factual technical information. So let's call it bygones, I'm not looking for a Saturday afternoon back-and-forth.

God bless.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
5901 posts
5116 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: This is just a semantics argument now, in my circle this word transcends Apple to mean higher PPI displays at large. However, to each their own.

The rest of your analysis deviates from PPI to discuss other tangentially-related items.

I say this with maximum respect, as you're nonetheless providing factual technical information. So let's call it bygones, I'm not looking for a Saturday afternoon back-and-forth.

God bless.
All I'm trying to say is majority of people coming into threads like these are better off people told the straightforward terms used in places like YT reviews and articles to better help them figure out what they're after.

If someone's is asking about the specs of the device I'm not going to get into technical analysis about various parts as they don't know/care about that, I was just trying to make it as simple and straightforward for the person asking about the specs.

Enjoy what's probably the last decent weathered weekend! 🙏🏼
[OP]
Feb 28, 2012
999 posts
1566 upvotes
Alberta
d1ulove3 wrote: I have no issue using Freedom, I think that inside the building no signal issue is YMMV.
Gangsta101 wrote: VoWiFi has helped ameliorate this for a lot of people.
Along with the WiFi Calling, VoLTE is indispensible for the best experience on Freedom.
You need VoLTE enabled on the device and active on the line to be able to access 'extended range' LTE B13.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15427 posts
16626 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: Along with the WiFi Calling, VoLTE is indispensible for the best experience on Freedom.
You need VoLTE enabled on the device and active on the line to be able to access 'extended range' LTE B13.
I'm reading multiple sources suggesting B13 is a pretty big deal for Freedom. I'm glad I came across this thread. It's already established that 700Mhz is a solid band, so this may not be surprising.
Mar 11, 2012
193 posts
103 upvotes
Surrey
Gangsta101 wrote: Here we go again...
Another great deal from Freedom for a top shelf product.
And another round of downvotes from folks who were burned by Wind or missed a couple of calls on FM.

Let me be the first to say, if you had a bad experience, move on, this deal isn't for you, neither is the thread.
Isn't this apply to every threads? If you don't like the deal just move on don't down vote it. Why are you just recommend redflagdeals get rid of the down vote? Nothing against, but every one has their rights to express themselves.
Nov 30, 2016
802 posts
969 upvotes
Mississauga
niuroufensi wrote: Isn't this apply to every threads?
You aren't wrong. However certain topics seem to bring out the bile in some people, common examples include Canadian Tire, Game of Thrones, Freedom Mobile...

Thread Information

There are currently 7 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 5 guests)

Airtrackz, sTiGMattas